TIFO - Flag question

Discussion in 'Sons of Ben' started by Sober Tom, May 14, 2010.

1. Sober Tom

Sober Tom Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Glassboro, South Jer
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in the process of making a banner for use at PPL park, and now that the pieces have come together I'm ready to paint the graphics. Does anyone have any advice on how I should best go about doing this?

The flag's fairly large - about 5hx12w, to be exact - but the graphic itself only consists of 3 numbers. I'll probably just use a standard block/varsity sort of font. I've thought about using a projector but I a.) don't have one; and b.) don't have the space in my home to pull off a projector painting. I've also thought about using freezer paper as a stencil, but I can't find any that's large enough. Given that we don't move into PPL until late June (hopefully), I'm not in much of a rush. Any suggestions would be MUCH appreciated.

2. buzzkiller23

buzzkiller23 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Glenolden, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What numbers and why?

3. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Sober Tom

Sober Tom Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Glassboro, South Jer
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    856. It's the area code that covers most of SW New Jersey. A lot of banners feature town names or a supporter's group branch, so I thought I'd try something different. It works out because the banner's color scheme is similar to the Philadelphia city flag - blue/yellow/blue. The 3 color blocks correspond to the 3 numbers of the area code. Should come out pretty cool. I'll try to get a pic up sometime soon.

5. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Must be fat numbers to be that much wider than they are tall.

6. MyCynideCathrsis

Feb 20, 2008
    The River End
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted this awhile back in one of the threads, and I think it's exactly what you were describing.

[​IMG]

7. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5h x 12w ... each number would take a 1/3 of the flag more or less, at 4w.

Last time I checked, 5' (high) is bigger than 4' (wide). :p

8. Sober Tom

Sober Tom Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Glassboro, South Jer
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, same deal. The blue's a bit darker though. I wasn't able to find the lighter SOB color in any of the fabric stores around here.

Thanks Dills for the advice. The mural-painting sounds like a worthwhile method.

9. NJToon

NJToon New Member

May 11, 2009
    Bordentown, NJ
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    +1 for the mural painting method. I used that for my two pole for the Red Bull game and it worked out great. It was super easy to lay it all out underneath the fabric and then just trace it from there.

10. plainljane

plainljane New Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    What about cutting the numbers out of fabric and using the iron-on backing to attach it to the flag?

11. SoB Bolton

SoB Bolton New Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Iron-on isn't going to hold fabric on when it's waving all about. Plus weight is really an issue with flags.

12. buzzkiller23

buzzkiller23 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Glenolden, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool idea. You should make a 610 one whle you're at it. ;)

13. jimlogue

jimlogue Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Medford, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking at the game yesterday as cool as it is to have a large section size banner to unfold during the game it might be even cooler to have 7 for all the sections. I am willing to help put one together and have a few people that are willing to help. Does anyone know the section size for PPL so we dont make them too large or too small?

14. SmashtheVan

SmashtheVan Member+

Jan 13, 2009
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As far as full-section banners go, i think a one, or maybe 3 even, section-wide banner at most is enough. if we want to go full-river-end, we should just coordinate a card-tifo

15. jimlogue

jimlogue Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Medford, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A three one would also be good. Though I am thinking for the first year or so it might be easier to organize 7 banners then 2,000 cards or so making sure they are in the right seats, etc. But a three banner one would be a good start. I have one I am going to make Will do you know the size of the section? Also did you find your keys?

16. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Corey is working on getting the directions for River End-sized tifo. I think you'll be hearing from him soon...

17. SmashtheVan

SmashtheVan Member+

Jan 13, 2009
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no clue about section sizes. And alas, i did not find my key. Gonna have to go down to the linc one morning this week with some bolt cutters or something and just cut my lock off my bike myself...if its still there anyway

18. tonygravato

tonygravato New Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Little Egg Harbor,NJ
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  19. Sober Tom

Sober Tom Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Glassboro, South Jer
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted this question in a related thread, so forgive me for being repetitive, but I just finished this flag and was wondering if I'm gonna have any problems with security (It's large - like 5x12 large). It says on the Union's website that banners aren't permitted without prior approval. I'm hoping they're a little bit more relaxed towards people in the SS. Thanks in advance.

20. SoB Bolton

SoB Bolton New Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Find me today (in the plain DOOP shirt w/79 on the back) and I'll make sure it gets in.

21. Travis_Clyde

Travis_Clyde New Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Claymont, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I brought in a large 5x8 banner to the opener and no one said anything to me. I sit in Sect. 101. I even asked the security guard at the bottom of my section if I could hang it from the railing (because I read the stadium guide) and he said they weren't told anything about banners, and whether or not they were allowed. So up it went. I made sure it didn't interfere with anyone sitting in the lower seats, and it happily stayed there the entire game right behind the corner flag.

22. Sober Tom

Sober Tom Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Glassboro, South Jer
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Where can I find you man?

23. SoB Bolton

SoB Bolton New Member

Mar 25, 2007