Ticket Sales Surpass 26,000 for Match Against the Los Angeles Galaxy, Superstar David Beckham

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by L.A. SOCCER NATION, Jul 26, 2007.

1. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC the lower bowl was full and there were people sitting in the club level for that match. Makes me wonder if the 39K figure is accurate.

2. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Ticket Sales Surpass 20,000 for Match Against the Los Angeles Galaxy, Superstar David Beckham

Not really, I'm afraid. Any reasonable person purchasing tickets to a sporting event must know that there is a certain probability that any given player will not play, for any number of reasons including injury. Caveat Emptor. In the unfortunate event that scenario were to happen, if the Wizards offer compensatory tickets (more likely) or refunds (very unlikely) it will be strictly for PR reasons.

3. Abracadabra

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought I read 34K about 3 months ago. Could it be a simple typo?

4. harry callahan

Jul 15, 2007
    Angel City Brigade
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So you look as if your going to get around 35000 for the Beckham game, you win make the playoffs and draw Washington in a double header, do people turn out or just the hard core for that one.

5. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you mean "draw Washington in a double header"?

6. harry callahan

Jul 15, 2007
    Angel City Brigade
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I am assuming you meet washington in the quarter final of the playoffs, just a guess.

7. Abracadabra

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually there is no way to predict the ticket sales; it's not a linear thing, I can tell you that. We will see a run on sales in September. Early birds are the exception, not the rule.

8. harry callahan

Jul 15, 2007
    Angel City Brigade
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think you play some good football, and could be dark horses, but on the little i have seen so far Chivas look the team to beat, you beat them so with a bit of luck who knows.

9. Jarnevic

Jarnevic BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He may have his terminology a bit mixed up.

Washington = DC United

Double Header = Second Round

Maybe? :confused:

10. Abracadabra

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I believe he meant that we will get 4th seed and meet DC United in a two legged tie. However, since the Revolution are currently leading the East, I wonder if he means that DCU are in better form and they will pull ahead of the Revs? The current playoff format doesn't really work that way anymore though, as far as I know.

11. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With this weekend's results, DC are now leading New England on points per game basis. If the playoffs started today, it would be:

East
    #1 DC vs #4 KC
    #2 NE vs #3 NY

West
    #1 Chivas USA vs #4 Chicago (guest from Eastern Conf.)
    #2 Dallas vs #3 Houston

12. harry callahan

Jul 15, 2007
    Angel City Brigade
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    By double header i meant you play home and away, sorry about that, actually this side of the pond we call it 2 legs. I think you will finish fourth in your table and DC united will be first, so i thought that meant you will play them at the quarter final stage of the playoffs. If you play your best football you could see DC. off and progress.

13. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if we play our best football, we can win the whole damn thing. problem is, however, that we haven't played like that since the first few weeks of the season.

14. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No problem. In the US we mean two games played on the same day. Common terminology in baseball.

2 leg would commonly be called home and away series.

15. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmmmm....I wonder if Becks' knee injury will be healed within the next 4 weeks?

16. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Ticket Sales Surpass 20,000 for Match Against the Los Angeles Galaxy, Superstar David Beckham

The Revs didn't offer a refund either. And I don't really believe they should have.

In regards to raising ticket prices ... they didn't, but they got around it by not selling individual game tickets. The only way anyone could get tickets to the Beckham game in New England was to purchase season tickets (and then you could buy extras) or buy a four-pack, so you'd have to pay for four Revs games. It worked surprisingly well, as we had over 16K last weekend against RBNY, and are expecting a number around that for every game that's left.

17. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now if Elton John didn't show for his concert at the Sprint Center, I'm sure people would get refunds since the concert could not go on without him. However, there still will be a soccer game to play, with or without Beckham. Why should anybody expect a refund? If they are going just to see him, shame on them.

18. KCNick

KCNick New Member

Aug 23, 2007
    I have to agree with the guy who said there's a difference between a refund for a normal ticket and an increased ticket. As someone who currently goes to every Wiz game already (because I get paid to!) it didn't really bother me THAT much to pay a premium for the Beckham game, I understand it's a business thing, and in terms of entertainment... the chance to see Beckham live is certainly worth it.

But now that he's not coming (probably), obviously the feeling is we're paying extra for nothing.

The Wiz had an excellent chance to excite and hopefully retain new fans with the Beckham game, and now they may end up with a bunch of unhappy people who will feel like they got cheated.

As for the guy above me... shame on them?! Obviously people are buying tickets to see David Beckham. It's been billed as the David Beckham game all over the place, to think anything otherwise is absurd.

If I ever had the chance to see the Chicago Bulls in the 90s, it would have been to see Jordan, without question. And again this is the difference... if you want to charge me normal price for a Bulls game and Jordan ends up sitting, I understand it happens.

But when you charge a premium that in every way suggests the premium is due to a specific player, and then that player is unable to perform.... well then the premium is bogus, and people should be refunded the amount of the premium.

Full ticket price refund? I agree that's silly. But a premium refund? That in my book would be the best business bet for the Wizards to get these people back in the seats for the NEXT Beckham game.

I guess I should add to that instead of a premium refund, a free ticket to any future Wiz game this year would be the same thing. Any kind of refund to the customer that is as valuable as the charged premium.

19. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    The Royals gave free tickets for a future game to the fans that came out for cancelled July 4th fireworks show.

20. Diego Pasley

Diego Pasley Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Lake Ozark, MO
    As a true fan of the sport, I hate the refund idea. I bought a ticket to watch a match with 30k in the stands. That is the experience I am after and will still get. That being said, I do think the team should do something for the 20k who will be in attendance only becuase becks was going to be there. My suggestion...free ticket to the final home game of the year. Ticket prices were basicly doubled for the becks game, so the team breaks even but maybe ends up with 2 20k attendance games this year. The bonus would be those "new" fans get the impression that 20k show up to wiz games, and they get to see the team twice so they may learn a thing or two about the sport/team. A free voucher to any game does not have the same effect, so I would say pick a date and give vouchers to just that game. The added concession revenue from a second 20k attendance games would probably be worth it!

On second though...F'em. Bandwagon fans suck anyhow. They can all overpay (again) to see Becks next year.

21. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right on! :p After last night, I am actually more worried about us playing poorly in front of a large crowd and on ESPN2 than I am about whether Beckham shows up or not. Hopefully we can right the ship over the next couple of games.

22. KC outlaws

KC outlaws New Member

Sep 5, 2006
    O-Town
    We're paying to see a team and not just a player, right Alexi? ;)

As for next year, the "stadium" better be full for games other than the Beckham Game, or... well crap, it's not like they're going to show us on national tv anyway.

23. broder

broder Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Mission
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which probably is a good thing, we won't be called out (as much...maybe) for looking "bush league" on here, and we seem to stink it up when we do get on national tv, as least lately we have.

24. dgb09

dgb09 Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Overland Park, KS
    I disagree. The entire Beckham phenomenon has been about a single player making a difference. The league invested hundreds of millions of dollars into this. The idea is that you get casual fans to come out once to see Beckham and they'll like the experience enough to come back. So, yes, if I were a person who bought a ticket to see Beckham (inflated price or not) I would expect the team to offer a refund if I asked for it. While it sucks, it's the right thing to do...and hope they come out next year.

As for the person who bought a ticket to watch a game with 30k other people, don't count on it. With the knowledge that Beckham won't be playing, we can expect a lot of no shows, especially from the surrounding region. Keep in mind this game is on a school night. While that could have been overlooked for people excited to see Beckham, many of those same folks won't make the trip for Landon and Joe Cannon.

25. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    so your going to match your whole seasons attendance in one match....congrats :)

haha, j/k guys