Ticket Availability?

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by dmonahan, Dec 2, 2004.

1. dmonahan

dmonahan Member

Aug 2, 2003
    Newburyport, MA, USA
    Here are the reported attendance figures so far:
    14-Aug-04 Liverpool 35,105
    28-Aug-04 Birmingham City 35,290
    12-Sep-04 Norwich City 36,095
    25-Sep-04 Manchester United 36,103
    23-Oct-04 Bolton Wanderers 36,025
    06-Nov-04 Charlton Athletic 35,423
    13-Nov-04 Arsenal 36,095
    28-Nov-04 Middlesbrough 35,772

Does that mean that for any game except (maybe) Man U I could have walked up the day of the game and bought a ticket? If so, would they be so bad that it's not worth buying them?

I'm planning a trip to England in a few months and want to see some games.

Do you really think exactly as many came to see Norwich as Arsenal?

Dick.

2. mis-e-one

mis-e-one New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Bedfordshire
    Why not?

Most Premiership clubs sell out at home games. I'd think fans would see their team against any opposition. They wouldn't pick and choose simply because the opposition is more glamourous or because the 'enemy' is playing.

At Spurs though there is a grading system for matches. Games against Arsenal, Man U, Liverpool, etc. are grade A and are hardest to get.

3. dmonahan

dmonahan Member

Aug 2, 2003
    Newburyport, MA, USA
    But, the reported attendance for Liverpool was 1000 less than for Man U.

Or is that the number of people who showed up, and the other 1000 are seats that were sold but not occupied?

4. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    go the club's official website (www.spurs.co.uk), and click on 'online tickets', or something like that. it will tell you the dates on which tickets go on sale for each match for both members and (usually a week, or so, later) non-members. for prime matches, you can expect a sellout before tickets ever go onsale to non-members. if you want to get multiple seats together, or have a great deal of flexibility with regard to where you sit, i'd suggest ordering as close to the non-member (assuming you're a non-member) onsale date as possible.

it seems to me that most matches sell out (at the website, anyway) prior to matchday. i don't know, as i've never left it that late for WHL, so it may be possible to walk up and buy a ticket. but i wouldn't recommend it - particularly as it's so simple to reserve one online and just pick it up on matchday at the paxton road ticket office.

5. dmonahan

dmonahan Member

Aug 2, 2003
    Newburyport, MA, USA
    Thanks. If that doesn't work, are there tickets for sale on the street on game day? Are there ticket agents that charge a 15-25% markup?

6. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    Their are loads of ticket touts around on matchdays, but they do ask for alot for them.

7. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Attendance figure is who showed up, not who paid for tickets. If I remember rightly virtually all of these games were sellouts, or near enough. SKY TV featured games particularly on an earlier kickoff do tend to be a bit lower in attendance, usually due to people with season tickets not turning up, touts not selling all their tickets or more usually the away team not selling all their allocation.

One good trick for getting a ticket to a popular Premiership club is to sign up to the membership of the away team for the game you want and buying it through them. As long as you don't mind sitting in their section and paying the membership fee (usually not much) :D

8. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    You'll definitely want to get your tickets ahead of time, in my opinion. I'd hate to get over there and not be able to go to the game! In my experience with ticket offices, they tend to be really helpful with international customers.

9. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    i've always heard that you can find touts, or scalpers, around the stadium on matchdays, but with one exception, i can't really remember seeing any. then again, i haven't really been looking. someone else may be better qualified to give you accurate information on acquiring tickets at the stadium on matchday.

but i do want to offer this thought. while i would strongly recommend taking in a match at white hart lane, the fact is that if you're in london on a saturday afternoon, you'll want to see some footy, and it would be a great shame if you ended up standing outside a stadium while one's going on.* the fact that most matches will be taking place at the same time (3:00) means that you're not likely to have the option of saying "well, i can't get into the spurs match, so i'll just get back on the tube and go to the crystal palace match". you won't have time. the exception would be if the spurs match were a noon start, but it think that if this were the case, it would probably be one of the bigger matches, and your likelihood of not getting tickets would be that much greater.

i would strongly advise that you secure a ticket before going. because if, during your trip, you cannot get into white hart lane, you'll want to get in somewhere. tickets for chelsea or the arse (not that you'd want to see that lot) will be at least as difficult as at the lane. but smaller clubs like palace or charlton shouldn't be as much trouble. and if so, don't think that the prem is the 'be all and end all' of english footy. 1st division (sorry, coca-cola championship) matches are usually money well spent, in my experience. don't be put off by smaller clubs - the experience can be just as fun.

*i once had the misfortune of standing outside the lopera stadium in seville during a real betis/barcelona match. no amount of money could get me in on matchday. betis won 2-1 on a pair of goals by dani. it would have been the best match i've ever seen live. don't let this happen to you.

10. Winston Smith

Winston Smith New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    London
    WHL's pretty much always packed out or near to so don't worry about low attendance. Become a member, it's £30 and then you can book any game you want, even top London derbies. There's usually only tickets left after the two week members window for Carling Cup matches and games verses Portsmouth, Southampton etc.

Plus you get a nice card, tie pin, wallet and tasteful flag to put on your car.

11. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    if you go to the website for your ticket(s), they have a stadium layout where you choose your specific seat from the section of your choice (of what's still available, of course). they also have a nifty little feature where you can bring up a panoramic view of the whole stadium from whatever section you're considering. it's worth a look.

12. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    This is true. You can also see the 'restricted view seats' view. Try to find the seats which are positioned in such a way that you can't see either goal. They're in the East Stand and have two bloody great pillars that obscure the goalmouth action! Architectural genius!