Ticket Advice Wanted

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by Kenp, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Kenp

Kenp BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 17, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Our family of 5 (wife, 2 teenagers, and a 12 year old) have been 7 year MLS season ticket holders.

After watching the EPL for the last ten years, we're visiting England the 3rd week of February and wish to experience the real McCoy.

We're targeting Liverpool vs. Bayer Leverkusen for the 2/22 Champion's League tie, and Southampton vs. Arsenal on the 26th.

Going through touts seem about the only way to secure tickets, but I'm really leery of the terms and risks involved. Besides the high costs (which may cause us to only catch one event) and the general uncertainty, the seats could be 5 singles, which won't do (3 and 2 is OK).

Does anyone have any experiences, good or bad, with going this route, and could recommend specific sites or other alternatives?

We have tried calling Liverpool FC, but our timing has been off so far.

Thanks in advance.....

2. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Arsenal being an Away game might not be too much of a problem. Certainly you will have problems getting away tickets from a tout, and they will be singles as you say.

Provided the southampton game doesnt need "away credits" you might be able to just get tickets from the Arsenal box office...

Have a word with RickB in the Arsenal forum. He can probably give you better info than I can

3. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    check the websites for liverpool and Southampton and see when tickets go on general sale. Call the club and book by phone when they go on general sale.

4. Scouse

Scouse New Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Manchester
    a 'mate' of mine bought 8 tickets in a row for Liverpool vs Olympiakos (CL game) when they went on general sale.

if you get in early enough, you should be alright simply buying 5 tickets direct from the club.

...if you're into that sort of thing. *cough*

5. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

just keep your eyes on the clubs websites, (best bet is to get tickets in the southampton end maybe for that game) they will tell you when tickets go on sale and who to ring up.

6. HiFi

HiFi New Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Call the ticket offices for the stadium where the matches will be held. I'd advise against calling the away team as the away supporters are generally a very rabid bunch, so there's a slight chance it might not be the an enjoyable experience with the kids. The atmosphere is am important part of being at an EPL match.

I know Chelsea offers tickets to Supporters groups before they go on general sale. So it might be worth your while to do a search for UK & US based team supporters groups and see if they have any special arrangements with the club ticket office. Also have a look for discussion forums on "unofficial" supporter-run web sites for each home team. They are usually filled with season ticket holders, and if you post a nicely worded request for tickets, they may know of other season ticket who can not go and would like to sell their tickets. They want to deal with the touts even less than you do, so they would be happy to know where the tickets were going.

Good luck.

After living in Southampton 9 years ago, we've gone back to the UK every couple of years and we see a match. Feel free to send me a PM if you need any help.

7. Digger Barnes

Digger Barnes New Member

Feb 1, 2003
    Canada
    I saw 9 English League games in 14 days on Holiday a couple of years ago, I had no trouble at all getting tickets, all I did was email or call the Clubs and ask about the availability of tickets for the games I wished to see. Chelsea even gave me 3 tickets for free or forgot to charge me, either way I was happy.

Two of the games I saw were Liverpool, at Home versus Villa and Sheffield Wed.

You should have no problems getting tickets for Championship or First Divison clubs matches, I saw a few lower league games on my trip, I enjoyed them more then the Premiership games, I would recommend it if you get the chance.

Whether you phone or email, mention your a supporter of the club your trying to get tickets for and add that this will be your first time watching them Live.

Kevin

8. ATL Blue One

ATL Blue One New Member

Feb 4, 2001
    ATL
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes contacting the clubs websites for tickets is always the best way if your overseas. If your not particular about a certain match you should have no problems finding tickets to several games duing your stay.

9. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Isn't it about time this information was placed in a sticky at the top of this board? I'm not being an arse here, no offence and all that and I do hope the replies prove useful, but I count three such threads in the past week now. And that's not unusual in itself.

(the Leverkusen game, just by the by, might actually be tricky - you may need a stub per person from the Olympiakos game, dependant on how the club judge likely demand prior to issuing tickets, which is likely to be strong, given that we're talking about the quarter-finals of he European Cup.)

10. monkeyhead

monkeyhead New Member

Sep 12, 2004
    somewhere in England
    someone should make this into a sticky

DO NOT USE THESE PEOPLE

optasoccer

for example they want over $1000 for Arsenal vs Man Utd

to add insult to injury, the plan of the ground on the arsenal page shows the real ticket cost for each section of the ground

if they included flights it would still be too much

11. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    That's pretty much been my experience, and I've never failed to get a ticket for any game I've wanted to go to on a visit from the US including the League Cup final in '02. I've never actually 'lied' to get a ticket, but I have chosen not to correct the mistaken impression they've got that I actually support their club :) Also good advice to remember you've two sources for tickets, i.e. both the home and away clubs.

I'll probably be over in March, but this will be strictly a lower- and non-league trip. Still 21 grounds from my goal of visiting all 114 Premiership, League and Conference grounds :(

12. JN13

JN13 Member

Dec 23, 2004
    Wow!
    Which 21 are you missing?

13. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Man City, Portsmouth, GIllingham, Brighton, Milton Keynes, Walsall, Torquay, Hull, Yeovil, Northampton, Darlington, Lincoln, Bristol Rovers, Cheltenham, Grimsby, Mansfield, Forest Green, Gravesend, Woking, Farnborough and Crawley :)

Admittedly I went to a lot of grounds before I moved to the US, but I'm still knocking off about 4 or 5 new grounds a season. But as an average of about 2 clubs a season move to new grounds, and three teams get relegated out of the Conference every season, progress to the goal is slow :eek:

14. JN13

JN13 Member

Dec 23, 2004
    OK.
    I thought you were American which would have made it a truly amazing feat.
    But even as a Brit I still have to say it is great that you have been able to do what you have done so far.
    It has been a dream of mine to be able to do that but I haven't even come close to getting to all the EPL grounds let alone the others.
    You are right about prompotions and new grounds though. It is always going to add to the list.
    Good luck on getting to the remaining 21 (or however many you have to go to) mate.
    Do you have a favourtie ground so far?

15. mcrossan

mcrossan New Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Southampton never fill their stadium, not even against Portsmouth. Go to the ticket section on saintsfc.co.uk
    Liverpool have yeet to sell out their stadium this season, sao you should be able to get Champions League tickets no problewm, because they are not included in the season tickets. GO to liverpoolfc.tv

16. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    Dave M suggested that you contact me and you haven't, neither have you replied to this thread? Do you still need tickets? If so please let me know re the Southampton v Arsenal tickets. I have to put in my request to the club soon, but should be able to fit you in if you need. A pre-requeset would be to join Arsenal America though ($3.65). All tickets through me are at the face value and will be in the Arsenal end.
    As for the Liverpool game, none of the 'pool CL games have sold out yet. If you phone the club, they should be able to help.
    Please PM or post here if you want/need any more help.

17. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
    If you still need tickets for the Pool match - and as Rick said....strange that you don't answer to this thread - there is also the chance to get tickets at Leverkusen. Normally 5% of capacity (about 2.000) go to the away team. As Leverkusen's away support is weak and those guys aren't nasty, you could try to contact Bayer Leverkusen. I am more than sure that they will be able to help you.

18. Kenp

Kenp BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 17, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I am following up with Rick re: Arsenal-Southampton, and am monitoring Liverpool and other websites. Most of the tickets go on sale to the general public after we arrive in England.

No one has suggested a reliable tout, and I am very reluctant to go this route due to the costs (minimum $1200 for 5 seats) and risks involved (counterfeits, open-ended costs: read the fine print!, 5 single tickets, etc.)

If it were just my wife and myself, I would feel confident of securing tickets through your suggestions, and playing it loose with accomodations, etc. But there are 5 of us, and a little certainty is required to plan our itinerary and minimize travel hassles.

If Arsenal-Southampton falls through, I'll solicit suggestions on some alternative ideas I have...

Ken

P.S. BTW, Southampton has sold out this season, at least through their ticket office. The upcoming game against Liverpool is sold out.

P.P.S. Interesting suggestion re: the CL match, to sit with the Leverkusen fans. An American family of 5 wouldn't stand out there, would they? :) If it were just me and a friend..... maybe

19. jmartin1966

jmartin1966 Member+

Jun 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Does anyone know if there are any matches in London on Easter weekend or the 3 days thereafter (March 26 - March 30)? A co-worker of mine will be in London and is interested in catching a game; however, it looks like the Premiership and the League Championship are on break.

20. Kenp

Kenp BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 17, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Just a followup on our trip.

Rick B came through big time, and the Arsenal-Southampton game experience (not the results, sadly) was the highlight for our family trip. Being with with Arsenal supporters was really special. We really appreciated his securing the tickets for us.

We also saw the Charlton-Leiceister City 5th round FA Cup tie; a dissapointing game for the home crowd, but we were not quite as invested in this match. I was able to call and secure tickets by phone, and had I waited a few more hours, I could have gotten them via the internet. Sure would have beat getting up at 2:30am! Doh!

Paid face value for all the tickets, and not the $250 average cost per ticket via the touts. (Want to see Chelsea-Arsenal? Some touts are asking over $500 a ticket.) As suggested by others above, tickets are available to the persistent.

One piece of advice to Americans planning a first trip to England right now (this was my 4th trip, my entire family's 1st).

To deal with the financial shock, convince yourself that the dollar-pound exchange rate is 1 to 1, and that you spent twice as long visiting England as you actually did!

That said, we really did enjoy our 20 day visit. :)

21. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion

Cool that you have had such a great experience....thumbs up! And of course the regular full respect to Rick (and Jeff). You guys are huge! :)

22. TOKARA

TOKARA New Member

Mar 10, 2005
    Tickets for Man Utd vs Chelsea

Hi guys,

Does anyone know of a webby that re-sells/bid tickets for the mentioned game?
    Its sold out. :(

Cheers.

23. T308

T308 Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Southern California
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Re: Tickets for Man Utd vs Chelsea

I've used ticketbroker.co.uk on several occasions, they're pretty good (tho' not cheap!)

24. T308

T308 Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Southern California
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    They're all off i think. But League One is in action. Brentford v. Peterborough on the 28th at Griffin Park could be a good one. Easy to get there by train (Waterloo to Brentford then a short walk) or the South Ealing tube station and a 15 min walk or short cab ride.

Have fun!

25. TOKARA

TOKARA New Member

Mar 10, 2005
    Re: Tickets for Man Utd vs Chelsea

they are crazy! asking for 300quid for a ManUtd vs Chelsea game! didnt they say the chase is Over? LOL hope's the price is goin down man...

:D