News: Thursday, May 4

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by wantmlsphilly, May 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, this article is going to take some unpacking. The first is that I have always found Leander Schaerlaeckens to be an oddball - kind of a crank about US soccer but unlike Alexi Lalas who revels in being contrary, he tries to hide it.

I think the key to this article is to be found in the middle paragraphs - the article is really a disguised position paper for Detroit FC. Is the offered deal that hard to understand? Is it true, like he claims that no MLS stadium has been built without significant public money? (If it was, what bearing does it have on this deal?) Is he really suggesting that 5 to 7000 for an amateur team is the max for Detroit soccer interest?

Are there issues with the Detroit proposal? I don't know - there are issues with any proposal and I haven't read detail plans. On the face of it, it sounds promising. Unfortunately, this article has an agenda that it keeps masked in a bunch of neutral sounding musings.

At least that was my reading. who knows, maybe I'm the crank

Kejsare repped this.
  2. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Might not be mutually exclusive, you know. ;-)

But my read has been that the deal legitimately is pretty complicated. And since the general public probably doesn't have all the details, it really is hard to tell whether a shell game is being used to hide a large subsidy.

That said, the DCFC bit, which otherwise should have been a completely separate story, seems to tip Leander's real hand here. I think there's a lot of wishful thinking (or what I tend to call the oughtabe/is problem) in his talk about this 'it won't work if it isn't 'grass roots' ' stuff. He's more hoping its true that Detroit MLS needs DCFC more than he's persuading, as if it were true he probably wouldn't need to write about it. I think the cognitive dissonance is precisely that if Detroit MLS wanted to come in and bulldoze the local grass roots club, they could*, and this is something that would be unfortunate.

(*- Not that I'm saying there wouldn't be any cost at all to that, just that it's hard to believe it's a make-or-break issue for the MLS team.)

Tony in Quakeland repped this.
  3. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's an Irish express is that a crank is a small thing that makes revolutions. But I digress...

I think you're read on his DCFC/MLS take is right. I just find the way he gets there is deliberately in direct. Someone unaware of what's going on might read that article and think, "Oh there's too many problems!"

The deal does seem complicated, but land swap deals are not unusual.

4. footballfantatic

Mar 27, 2008
    Ontario, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How to post links quickly and easily:

Just go to news.google.com and search MLS. Then click tools and search by date. Then copy the title and Site in one and then paste it into the message boards. It takes like three seconds per article. If we all pitch in here in there then we will have more MLS news than we know what to do with!

C-Rob, wantmlsphilly, sitruc and 2 others repped this.
  5. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    San Jose privately financed Avaya stadium. There were zoning adjustments made on other parcel's owned by the investors, which allowed them to recoup the investment in Avaya.

Soccerglue and Beerking repped this.
  6. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    David Villa's decision to stay with NYCFC was easy: 'I'm happy'

Class on and off the field. That's what David Villa has represented in MLS, and what his club NYCFC hopes will continue for at least another season. Villa, 35, the reigning MVP, announced a one-year contract extension Wednesday during an event with students at P.S.

Bastian Schweinsteiger, Ana Ivanovic make their Wrigley Field debut
    The Bastian Schweinsteiger and Ana Ivanovic Chicago Sports Venue Tour made its stop at Wrigley Field on Tuesday night.
    [​IMG]
    CHICAGOTRIBUNE.COM

Deadline closing in for Chicago Fire changes
    The Chicago Fire probably will not make any high-profile moves before the MLS primary transfer window closes Monday. "Internationally, I would say it's virtually zero because of the paperwork and the timing and everything else that's involved," said Fire general manager Nelson Rodriguez on Wednesday.
    [​IMG]
    ORRIN SCHWARZ

Fire winger David Accam trying to 'be more of a creative player'
    The Chicago Fire lost another game away from home on Saturday, but despite the result it wasn't like so many of the other road defeats in coach Veljko Paunovic's tenure. The Fire had a slight edge in possession against the New York Red Bulls (51-49 percent), which is especially impressive considering the Red Bulls are one of the few teams in MLS which prioritizes possession.
    [​IMG]
    CSN CHICAGO

Sebastien Le Toux adds firepower to D.C. United
    Off the top of his head, Lloyd Sam can tell you exactly how many goals D.C. United teammate Sebastien Le Toux has scored over his nine-year MLS career. The Frenchman, for his part, has ensured that statistic is common knowledge in the RFK Stadium locker room.
    [​IMG]
    THE WASHINGTON TIMES HTTP://WWW.WASHINGTONTIMES.COM

Atlanta United: 5 questions answered about NYCFC
    Atlanta United will play at NYCFC on Sunday. Dylan Butler has been reporting about soccer since graduating from St. John's University in 1997. An ardent Newcastle United FC fan, he's covered all levels, from youth to World Cup qualifiers and has been the New York City FC beat writer for MLSsoccer.com since the club's inception.
    [​IMG]
    AJC

Sporting director Stewart still has faith in the Union
    While Union fans haven't been shy about voicing their displeasure over a disappointing beginning to this season, sporting director Earnie Stewart remains confident that things will turn around. In a wide-ranging interview after practice Wednesday, Stewart said this season is salvageable for the only Major League Soccer team that hasn't won a game.
    [​IMG]
    MARC NARDUCCI

Crew Cuts: Afful reflects on birth of son, upcoming Ghana friendly against USMNT
    Crew right back Harrison Afful had an early start to his Tuesday morning. The 30-year-old took his pregnant wife, Roberta, to the hospital around 7:30 a.m. At 9:48 a.m., Afful and his wife met their son, Kendrick. "It's a good mood," Afful said after training Wednesday, hospital bracelet still on his right wrist.
    [​IMG]
    ANDREW ERICKSON

Impact's Oduro, Jackson ready to fill in for injured striker Mancosu
    MONTREAL - Veteran Dominic Oduro and youngster Anthony Jackson-Hamel both say they're ready to take on extra work while striker Matteo Mancosu recovers from a thigh injury. It will be up to coach Mauro Biello and his staff to decide whether to move the speedy Oduro from the right wing to centre forward or make Jackson-Hamel the starter in the six-to-eight weeks that Mancosu will be on the sidelines.
    [​IMG]
    ,BILL BEACON, THE CANADIAN PRESS

Proactive Orlando City defender Cristian Higuita earned spot in Jason Kreis' lineup
    When Orlando City hired Jason Kreis as its new head coach midway through last season, Cristian Higuita saw a potential problem. "I actually went over tapes of his past teams and I noticed that he liked to play with the diamond," Higuita said through a translator.
    [​IMG]
    ALICIA DELGALLO

Orlando City switches up lineup at Toronto FC
    Orlando City coach Jason Kreis repeatedly said there would be rotation in the lineup this week. He even said, "Possibly a lot." He brought 20 players on the road for back-to-back trips to Toronto and Houston, and he lamented the lack of recovery and preparation time between the team's three games in eight days.
    [​IMG]
    ALICIA DELGALLO

sitruc, jayd8888, Len and 2 others repped this.
  7. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    COnsidering how long the guy has written about soccer, I can only assume that was a deliberate falsehood. Another example of the bias and manipulation in the article

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Local sports writers/announcers/media members are the worst people to have cover business issues involving sports.

When your livelihood depends on the existence of a thing, and your income at least partially scales with the popularity of a thing, the conflict of interest becomes overwhelming.

9. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The guy's not a local - at least his resume is pretty broad. Partly why I spent some time dissecting the article.

As for your other point, Upton Sinclair said it best:
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.”

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Holy crap! Someone compared me to Upton Sinclair. :wow:

:p

Gamecock14 and JasonMa repped this.
  11. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA