Three Stars PLUS One: The Ajax Stretch Run Begins! [R]

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, Feb 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    In thinking back to Theo's performance....

It almost feel as if FdB would rather field 10 men for 89 minutes - knowing well that Janssen had been huffing and puffing for 3/4 of the season and confusing the rest of the team with is off positionial situations - but as long as he's good enough to make that delicious long pass of a match winner, he'll be on the starting eleven week in and out

2. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    In a span of 5 minutes we see two own goals that could really benefit Ajax :D

PSV 1-1 Heerenveen
    Twente 0-1 Feye

3. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Yes things are going quite well so far! Could be a bad week for Twente with three domestic matches in 6 days coming off the Europa League match. Tired legs :D

4. KPSmit

KPSmit Member

Nov 26, 2011
    New York
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Man, Vertonghen is just a true footballer. His skill in attacking is phenomenal, as is his defending. It seems like he scores every game... as a CB. The only slight problem is the liability caused by his pushing forward. Just a shame he isn't Dutch.... Ajax should push for a huge transfer fee (even though its a shame we can't keep him)....

5. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yes, he is probably the player of the year for Ajax. I hope we get at least €20M for him but it's likely it won't be that much. My hope is that he goes to Barcelona. He could step right in at left back since Abidal's playing days are likely finished (he's awaiting a liver transplant) and Puyols has maybe only another year as a starter. He would fit right into their system and it would be a better move than England (but that's where it appears he wants to go).

6. KPSmit

KPSmit Member

Nov 26, 2011
    New York
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    you're right... he really would fit well at Barcelona. As for England, i think he would fit in more at Tottenham than Arsenal simply based on the availability of playing time.

7. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Vertonghen would be a perfect fit at Barcelona. I'm sure he'd also get lots of playing time considering how thin their defense is. Puyol just can't play that often anymore, and Abidal is out (permanently? I hope not). That opens up a spot for him at LB, since Adriano's pretty much their only other option there right now, as well as centerback. Heck I'm convinced that you could play him anywhere on the pitch and he'll excel. If we had 10 Vertonghens to play at the same time we could win the champions league.

8. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    Thank you Schaken and Bonevacia for the birthday present. Our on loan and ex players have not forgotten about Ajax being 112 today, once an Ajacied, always an Ajacied! :D

9. BTV802

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    HUGE match next weekend.

10. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    No Jansen. What will the line up be?

11. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    don't get too excited, de Jong will probably move back into the midfield and Bulykin in at striker.

12. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    except Narsingh can actually cross the ball properly, instead of putting it 50m high every time, and putting it behind most of the time the way Lukoki does

13. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Starting lineup will probably be: Vermeer; Koppers, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, van Rhijn; Anita, Eriksen, Aisatti; Ebecilio (if healthy), de Jong, Ozbiliz. Bulykin will not start because he can only go 45 minutes max. If Ebecilio is still out, Aisatti will slot up and I suspect Enoh will play in the midfield. Toivonen strained a calf muscle today and is suspended for the cup match so it's up in the air whether he will be ready next week for PSV.

14. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    that's what you would do, but I would be shocked if that's what de Boer does. Two weeks ago Bulykin went 90 against Roda. Plus every time a starting midfielder goes down, Frank brings de Jong back into the midfield and puts someone else up front. If Bulykin isn't fit to start he'll start Lodeiro at striker. Up till now we have yet to see Frank field two skilled players together in the attacking midfield spots.
    So yes, that lineup is probably ideal, but not likely to happen

15. afcajax73

afcajax73 Member

Feb 4, 2006
    Stoke-on-Trent
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    welcome onboard! :)

16. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Nice to have you pfloyd, but you seem to have made a mistake on the "foe-list".

17. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Didn't I say btw that I was pretty sure Ajax were going to become champions a few weeks ago? I'm telling you, it's going to happen! Better get ready! And Frank de Boer doesn't have a clue what's happening to him. Luckiest Ajax coach ever.

18. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Oh and I just want to say that Vertonghen is playing damn awesome for the past few weeks and that he is among the best central defenders in the world at this moment.

Eriksen on the other, very disappointing lately. Been too long since the kid got a break.

As a team, Ajax is player much, much better than they were doing 2 months ago or even 1 month ago. The defense is pushing upwards much more, now Vertonghen and Alderweireld are often even 5 meters or further up the opponents half instead of halfway their own. And the midfield is much more compact right now. There's a definite improvement, although obvious mistakes are still being made.

19. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think he has turned into a €20M player but we probably won't get that much for him. As I noted earlier, I would prefer to see him go to Barcelona rather than the EPL. I think he could start right away for them.

part of the problem is that he's just much better than the players around him and they often times don't react in time to the passes he makes. I hope he stays with the club for two more years to complete his development and improve his physical strength.

20. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Don't you think he would do better as a pure 10? That the way Ajax play is good for his development, but he will jump if starts playing behind Rooney and in front of Carrick, Anderson for example?

21. RomaRomaRoma

RomaRomaRoma Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Denmark
    Club:
    AS Roma

That's the way he plays for the Danish NT, a team that has tried to emulate the Ajax style for decade now (with little success until recently!). But they do play with two holding midfielders behind Eriksen and that's the primary difference. I believe Eriksen does better in such a formation than being left or right midfielder. But in any case, I agree that he's not playing well for Ajax and hasn't been for some time.

22. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whenever it's close among several teams at the top, you need a bit of luck to win. Ajax lost the eredivisie a few times based on some bad luck as well.

That's why we need to win the league by 20 points. Take luck out of the equation entirely. :cool:

23. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If Fischer brakes into first team Ajax (next year?) and he continues to develop into the direction, people think he will, what would the best spot for him be, to brake into Danish NT? I get that he is played wide and in striker position, but Bendtner has that one tight up at the NT, right? Better luck left or right wing?

24. BTV802

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I would imagine he'll play on either side of Eriksen in midfield. Rommedahl is a legend but is not getting any younger. Krohn-Deli is nothing special.

25. BTV802

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Looks like the biggest gap in the past ten years was 11 points the year AZ recently won.