Three Nuns Jailed for Vandalizing Silo

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Sardinia, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Sardinia

Sardinia New Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Sardinia, Italy, EU
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030726/ap_on_re_us/nuns_missile_silo_16

2. Sardinia

Sardinia New Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Sardinia, Italy, EU
  3. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Sounds like somebody needs to get laid.

4. Sardinia

Sardinia New Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Sardinia, Italy, EU
    :)

maybe, I don't question others sexual behavior.

Usually i suggest a satisfying sexual activity in order to avoid any frustration.

I applaude those nuns and I'm not a believer.

They exposed a blatant hipocrisy. And they are willing to pay for it.
    Things you don't find often.

You can judge it cinically with many reasonable points but they're coherent and they got to the news without messing with children.

Be sure that bishops and archibishops didn't approve their behavior.
    Another hipocrisy.

5. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    Are you volunteering ?. The youngest is 55, so I guess you'd be on the opposite end of the scale to R. Kelly :).

This story is like something from Father Ted.

6. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    No, the Bishops were too busy taking influential and open stances against the war in Iraq to relegate themselves to irrelevence with missile silos.

But lets destroy all U.S. nukes tomorrow and see how you like the new balance of power.

7. Sardinia

Sardinia New Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Sardinia, Italy, EU
    I told you about reasonable points.

Without any religious attitude... just philosophical... also Jesus' teachings weren't common sense.
    Or at least they didn't look like.

I can't help it, I admire them.

8. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    I live here in Denver, and the jailing of those nuns was a dark day. They posed no threat to society. They peacefully protested against WMD. Okay they tresspassed. They cut a fence. How bout 30 days. A fine maybe. Public service would be an answer. But three years of hard time?

When is Ken Lay going to jail? How bout Niel Bush? Those guys are actual problems that have societal impact. But we need to jail protesting nuns. If you made it up no one would believe it.

9. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    They broke into a top secret facility and vandalized military property, you fucking idiot.

Just because those guys should go to jail doesn't mean the nuns shouldn't.

10. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    I really see the righties' point of view on this one. What were these women expecting, the Congressional Medal of Honor?

11. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA

When Dan Loney and I agree, you gotta pay attention!

12. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

Ooooo! Top secret! Oh boy. So top secret the fucking guards at the facility let them spray paint slogans on the missle silo, eh? Good Lord! What kind of security was at this place?

Puhleez! This is overkill. Kenny Boy and Neal Bush and Bernie Ebbers and the boys from Citicorp and Morgan Trust should all be put away before some nuns who didn't hurt anyone.

13. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't compare the two.... the nuns deserve whatever sentence is dished out to them.

I also believe that the Catholic Church should boot their asses, but that's about as likely to happen as them booting a priest who sexually molests a little boy.

14. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Shouldn't you be in a dark apartment somewhere figuring out a way to work the nuns into your gigantic 9/11 conspiracy theory?

15. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, some of the strongest political statements have been made by people who risked the most, whether it was their life, their freedom, or something else of considerable value.

Integrity is taking a stand for what you believe in, regardless of the cost. These nuns should be applauded for making a statement and knowing a cost.

The legal issues are irrelevant, as I really hope that our legal system could steer clear of political virtues and simply apply the law (these nuns did break the law, and so be it), but in that case, there are a lot of white collar criminals who should be put away for a long time....

It takes real courage to know the consequences of your actions, and still feel compelled to act in the face of very negative results. Their message wouldn't have received this publicity if they'd simply been slapped with a misdemeanor.

16. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    In fact, it's cause for a situation where instant disagreement = with 100% chance of being right. :)

17. Sardinia

Sardinia New Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Sardinia, Italy, EU
    :)

18. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I guess the 9-11 terrorists had a whole lot of integrity.

19. Sardinia

Sardinia New Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Sardinia, Italy, EU
    I think the final body count (result of their terrorist action) is slightly different, George.

20. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    This facility is hardly "top secret". Pretty much everybody in Colorado knows where it is. It was on the front page of the Denver Post. They didn't vandalize any property in any serious way. They cut a chain link fence, they spilled there own blood symbollically...

They broke the law, there should be sanctions. But putting old nuns in prison for 4 years because of a non violent protest is over the top in my opinion. I think community service might have been appropriate, we have military hospitals in Colorado perhaps they could have pitched in to help at one. I fail to see how our society is benefitting from their long term incarceration.

Also, perhaps you could save the "f'ing idiot" stuff for the group who can't wee the difference between the actions of these three nuns and the 9-11 hijackers.

21. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please...

So we are now comparing a non-violent protest with the most violent terrorist act committed on American soil?

22. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

I have no gigantic 9/11 conspiracy theory. I merely ask questions and point out troubling facts. Why are you afraid of that?

23. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Top secret?

I don't think that term means what you think it means.

And if it was indeed top secret, then "top secret" sure as hell doesn't mean what it used to mean, if a few nuns know where they are.

24. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I'm obviously afraid that you'll uncover the (Hal Hartley reference) Unbelievable Truth. That the war for oil in Iraq began as a cover for the moon mission on the space shuttle, with Vince Foster as the pilot, which itself was a cover of the Capricorn One (give it up for OJ) styled faking of the moon landing in 1969. Whitewater is actually secret base where the shadow government has been attempting to reach the moon for some time, in order to plan for the coming darkness.

25. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Yeah, but it isn't as if you're allowed to go screwing around with nuclear missiles. It's top secret in the way bank vaults would be, if the contents of a bank vault could wipe out a city.

Now, to the credit of these women, they are facing the consequences of their actions with a certain amount of character. At least they're not acting all shocked and hurt that they're going to prison. (And really, what's the difference between a women's prison and a convent, when you think about it. In theory. There are probably untold thousands of differences. I should back off this point, it's probably pretty stupid.)

I don't agree that they did any particular good, and I don't think the govmint is overreacting in this case. Call me Fred Reactionary, but I'd rather not have the precedent that any old person can waddle up to a nuke and carve their initials on it or whatever. There are probably other forms of non-violent resistance that would have been, well, a little less of an affront to common sense.