Thoughts on protecting your players

Discussion in 'Coach' started by Peter Rival, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Peter Rival

Peter Rival Member

Oct 21, 2015
    High school (so U19, competitive) here. We've developed a kid into a pretty effective striker and the other teams are starting to notice. He's averaging 2 goals a game and some of those are after running past players that have tried to hack him down. Twice he's had people slide into the back of his legs on a breakaway (apparently referees here are afraid to give yellow cards, let alone red ones, even for recklessly endangering a player), and last game the keeper tried to rugby tackle him to stop him - every single one of these he's managed to stay upright and score the goal.

Those are bad, but at least they're obvious. He's also getting shoved, grabbed, stepped on, kicked, etc. I hadn't realized just how bad it had gotten until receiving email this morning that in the last game after being thrown to the ground one of the opponents essentially threatened him with "stay on the ground <swear>" with the implied "or else".

I'm curious, given the very real chances of significant injury with the way he's being treated, and the either inability of or unwillingness by the referees to detect and penalize this behavior, what the other coaches out there think is the best way to address this. Teach him counter-acting dark arts? Teach him to go down with contact to draw fouls? Talk to the referees (and if so how?)? Something else? I'm afraid one more slide tackle from the back to this kid and we might be looking at a blown out knee.

2. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    Not an expert, but I would talk to the coach of the player who made the dangerous play. And also maybe to your Sports Director or whoever is in charge there, and also the head of referees. I think it's a fairly serious matter and should not be tolerated.
    Is there video evidence? Maybe a parent took video. That could be helpful to prove your point.
    But if that doesn't do anything then I would tell the striker to release the ball sooner, before anyone has a chance to even tackle, if he feels he's being targeted. Tell him to be more strategic. He might have to switch up his style of play a bit.
    I also think it's ok to go down ala Neymar if it's a persistent problem.

3. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    I have no patience for weak ass referees, and I will not let my players get injured because an adult isn't doing their job. With that being said, here's my approach: Have a quick convo with the referees before the game starts. Remind the AR on his end to watch for it. When it happens during the game, point it out. If it happens a second time, point it out again until you get threatened with being tossed. If referee refuses to protect the player, pull him (and the rest of the team?) off the field. Ideally also get video, and share it with the state referee's association.

I understand the "we're people too" and protect the referees angles, but if they can't get/keep control of a game, they have no business being on the field at that level.

bigredfutbol, elessar78 and CoachP365 repped this.
  4. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Work all of the above.

Gotta talk to the refs in pregame.

If you have video, share some of the horror tackles with league admin and your concern for his health.

5. Peter Rival

Peter Rival Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Yep last game I talked to the refs pregame - one ref got the hint and called the fouls in the first half, the second ref didn't call a single thing in the second. I talked to the former after the game and he gave me some ideas to have him work on (try to be a little further away from the defender so the grabs are more obvious, start the move from behind the defender instead of in front of him then move around, etc.). As a former defensive player I'm much better at hiding fouls than making them obvious. :)

And yes, we have video from the game with the horror tackle, I need to pick up the drive with the video at practice today and then hope the angle from the camera shows how bad the tackle really was. Then edit the video and send it to the league, though the league and the refs are different organizations here so I'm not sure what effect it'll have.

elessar78 repped this.
  6. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    good stuff. Tuck shirt in and have him wear a tighter shirt, it makes shirt pulls more obvious.

oh yes… I like the positioning tips. As a forward, I like to stand in an offside position, then come onside just before the ball is played. It wreaks havoc especially with passive offside.

Send the video, start there. Good luck. Keep us posted. We’ll all run into this at some pojnt

7. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    Maybe I'm just old school, but if they don't fix it then I'd give em a dose of their own medicine. Maybe start with some pointed shoulder charges. Those can be fun.

8. Peter Rival

Peter Rival Member

Oct 21, 2015
    He was cleaned out again today. When I asked (granted, loudly) how hard he has to get hit (the first thing I'd said all game) I was informed by the referee that I wasn't to speak for the rest of the game. We can defend referees to the heat death of the universe but when their incompetence threatens the safety of my kids I'm sorry but that's just too much of an ask. If they can't handle the speed of a high school game they shouldn't be refereeing one because someone's going to get hurt.

For the record we still haven't found the flash drive with the video of the reckless slide tackle. That just figures...

9. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Are the referees not seeing it, or do they just not care to blow the whistle? Have him stay down until the referee comes to check on him. Does he shriek like he's been shot when he gets hit?

It might also be time for a talk with the rest of the team about protecting their teammate. If it looks like there's going to be a rumble after the first time it happens, maybe the referee will be more proactive. As he's breaking it up, it's a chance for your or your captain to have another talk with him. "If you aren't going to protect my teammates, we will do it ourselves."

elessar78 repped this.
  10. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    Toughen your kids up. Teach them how to do shoulder challenges and tackles and to use their body to shield. Soccer is a physical sport and you have to be tough and strong.
    Maybe have them do some weight lifting.

11. Peter Rival

Peter Rival Member

Oct 21, 2015
    We're talking about getting them all to do some strength training for next year - we're definitely filled with string bean players which is part of the problem. But I think we also face a problem in that our players are just plain too nice. This kid in particular said he had a goal of never getting a yellow card; while that's admirable at a certain point, sometimes a yellow card is the difference between winning and losing or between someone getting injured and physical play remaining at a respectful level. Somehow I have to get these guys to understand that a bump, nudge, tug, etc. is part of the normal play of the game and not dirty at all.

Someone used the term "marshmallows" to describe some of them. If I can just get them to smores then that'll be progress I guess.

NewDadaCoach repped this.
  12. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    I recall seeing some drills where players go shoulder to shoulder and practice tussling and pushing off each other. That might be good to do.

That's kinda funny and cute about the yellow card kid. But yeah I tend to think it's par for the course to get a yellow here and there. It's the reds you want to avoid.

Maybe show them some videos of professional players using their bodies/being physical whilst still playing within the rules.

13. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    tell me about it. I've been trying to get my own kid to be more aggressive/physical. Last tournament after the game, she came up to me beaming , "I finally got a foul called on me". Good job kiddo. She didn't do any damage, just an over-assertive barge. A former player who got invited to a trial in London at a pro academy, the first 3-days a good bit of time was dedicated to using their body, shielding, bumping, rolling off, etc.

In general, I do like the idea of strength training. I fought it for a long time, but it should be a part of the training program as early as possible. But it must be age appropriate. Athletic movements, coordination > body weight exercises > lifting weights is the progression I prefer. Get them to LOVE the gym and not hate it, it's represents a lifetime/whole life value.

14. Morchoi

Morchoi New Member

Oct 27, 2021
    I take a similar approach and advise my coaches to use the pregame equipment check to respectfully “remind” the refs about legal tackles, GK possession, etc… it’s not a panacea, but it probably helps a bit. If I see shoving, blatant stiff arms and the like I’ll mention it the ref and ask them to call it on all players, including mine.

Recognizing that most of our rec league refs are kids themselves, I will sometimes pull the other coach to the side and have a brief conversation if I feel things are getting too physical. At least two adults can often sort it out with their players if the refs can’t or won’t act when player safety is being compromised.