Thoughts on Everton Llineup

Discussion in 'Everton' started by gosya, Sep 13, 2009.

1. gosya

gosya Member

Feb 6, 2001
    New York
    After seeing 4 league games, these are my general observations on the squad and the lineup:

Middle of Defense is OK - Arsenal game aside, the Howard-Yobo-Distin combo is actually doing rather well. With Jagielka comig back in November, I think those three central defenders canget the job done.

Fellaini and Cahill need to be involved - whether we're employing a 4-4-2 or a 4-5-1, those two are the creative brains and sparkplugs. They need to be in the starting lineup, especially while Arteta is out.

Our left side is a lot more dangerous than right side - Baines and Pineaar have been doing a lot better on the left flank, than Hibbert and Osman have been doing on the right. I know Tony has been a good soldier, but it's time to move him to the bench. He's adequate defensively against mediocre opposition, but is outclassed by top midfielders/forwards and provides nothing offensively. Assuming Neville comes back from injury, it's time to try Heitinga at right back. Similar for Osman - he's just not that effective. We should give Dinyar a go (especially since he's in mid-season form, having played in Russia). We can try Pineaar on the right, and have Bilyaletdinov on the left.

All three strikers are adequate - Yakubu, Jo, and Saha have all shown some worth. We don't necessarily need to strengthen that line. It would be nice to see two of them start together, though.

With that being said, I would try the following lineup agianst Blackburn (a more offensive-minded one, given that we are at Home against inferior opposition):

Howard
    Heitinga -- Distin -- Yobo -- Baines
    Pienaar -- Fellaini -- Cahill -- Dinyar
    Jo/Saha -- Yakubu

For a more defensive lineup, I would slide in Neville or Rodwell, and move Cahill behind lone striker (probably Yakubu).

What do you think?

2. spider_kin

spider_kin Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 8, 1999
    Iowa
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    sounds decent, tho i'm NOT liking felli at the moment. as a sub he's doing well, for the whole game he's just not there. start Rodwell instead (or P.nev if/when his injury is healed)

we need to do something that's for sure. Honestly, until his goal today and one or two other moments, i've been debating dropping cahill. he's too sure of his spot and it's showing. Moyes needs to shake it up and fast. But he's moyes, so I doubt he will. probably his biggest flaw is sticking to the people who have played... does he not know that quote "if you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got" we're getting mediocre shite at the moment. change it up and fast.

thanks for your post it was well thought out and I agree with a lot of it. I think Hibbo is doing better than ossie tho (and even had a go at someone today at the bar who just rags and rags and rags on a player - this time hibbo - and never gives them credit for how well they do play. one mistake and they are "crap" and "don't deserve a blue shirt" grrr it's frustrating) Ossie is my weakest link on the team at the moment, tied with Yobo (who just has mental lapses too often). he's improved since he got here, but i don't think he'll improve any more. :( then hibbo.

We shall see what Moyes comes up with next: we have a Europa game midweek, so that will be interesting. COYB

3. thetoffees

thetoffees New Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Club:
    Everton FC
    I get the feeling Moyes may start rotating his squad a bit more.

Usually he is very loyal to his starting teams, though often this is because he hasn't got any options!

If you look at the bench yesterday we had 40 million+ of talent on there.

I wonder if once the new boys have settle in they mnay come in for the European games but then in the 'bread and butter' league games the following weekend the likes of Ossie and Hibbert may return, dependable as ever!

4. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. bford

bford Member

Houston Dynamo, Everton, USMNT
    Nov 30, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vaughan did go out on loan.. to Derby right?

I don't know how this will go over, but our ball movement is much better without Neville in the lineup.

Osman looked better yesterday, though I still would love to try the Russian at left wing and Pienaar on the right..( I must learn to spell the other guys name!)

Then have Rodwell, Cahill and Felhani in the middle...Felhani's left footed cross against Blackburn was fantastic.

6. ark215

ark215 Member

Jan 16, 2009
    America
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    with saha's recent form it should be saha -- yakubu/jo

7. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed with the squad rotation idea as well as Saha's form warranting automatic inclusion into the starting eleven.

I'd still keep Pienaar on the left with Baines and shift Billy over to the right and see how he does with Heitinga/Hibbert