Thoughts on Allocation List?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by portlanded, Sep 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. portlanded

portlanded Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    Never really knew about it (heard about it, but never understood what it was) until people blew up about Pulisic the other day. I read this one piece that really made me hate the allocation list and think teams should be able to bid for these players independently. Why might I be wrong?

2. AeroNaught

AeroNaught Member+

Atlanta United
    Feb 14, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because MLS.

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    blah blah parity, blah blah superclubs. blah blah rest of the world. There's a whole forum for the topic of this thread called You Be The Don.

Honore de Ballsac and jayd8888 repped this.
  4. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #5 Yoshou, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    You forgot the whole part where the OP writes the article and then posts it in a forum where they pretend that they just happened to randomly run across the article..

5. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    I love that the article cites Charlie Davies as an example of DC calling "dibs", but fails to acknowledge that Davies originally only wanted to play for two teams in MLS, and MLS said no. Under the author's system, Davies would have been playing with either DC or NE much earlier than 2011, but other teams/fans would still be calling foul just the same because he didn't pick their team.

6. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    I know I'm supposed to want the USMNT to have really good players but I'm getting really tired of all the Pulisic talk. It is getting to the point that if he suddenly flamed out I don't think I'd care just so I can stop listening to people bleat on about him.

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope my bonding answered your question for you.

8. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, here in Chicago, Mr. Andrew Hauptman loves the Allocation Process.

That way, we can be at the top of the list and sell our position to a team that actually wants to sign a decent player.
    We "sold" the top spot to Colorado in Januarly, 2016 so Colorado could sign Tim Howard.
    We managed to pick up Matt Lampson, who had been cut by Columbus after playing 16 games in four years.

We "sold" the top spot to Philadelphia in July, 2016 so they could sign Bedoya.
    We managed to sign a 21-year old Armenian player from the mighty Lithuanian League.

We have the top spot again. Anyone want to offer us something in January????

http://www.mlssoccer.com/allocation
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/transactions/2016/trade-tracker

Transaction date: 1/14/16
    CHI Chicago receive: No. 12 overall pick in 2016 SuperDraft (Jonathan Campbell), No. 22 overall pick in 2016 SuperDraft (Alex Morrell), No. 2 ranking in allocation order
    COL Colorado receive: No. 15 overall pick (Emmanuel Appiah), No. 33 overall pick in 2016 SuperDraft (later traded), No. 1 ranking in allocation order

Transaction date: 8/3/2016
    PHI Philadelphia receive: No. 1 spot in Allocation Ranking Order
    CHI Chicago receive: General allocation money, Targeted allocation money, first-round pick in 2017 SuperDraft, discovery priority on a player, No. 2 spot in Allocation Ranking Order

9. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's spam, and it's not news.

Closed.