Thoughts and News on Denílson

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by usain2010, Jul 26, 2002.

1. jcmartins

jcmartins BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 22, 2005
    United States
    [​IMG]

2. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    Er, did you not see the irony in my comment!!

3. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Ligue 1 will be fantastic for him. If Lyon get him, with Juninho Pernambuco in there? Lookout.

4. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    He is with Bordeaux now. Denilson's off the selecao radar since he hasn't even been getting regular 1st team action. Fell out of favor with his managers and has the 'ball-hog' reputation. IMO he would have been a better playmaker than a forward... all he needed to do was learn how to pass the ball as well as he dribbled it. :cool: Several of the selecao managers he's had thought the same thing and often tried him in midfield but to no avail. Denilson remained Denilson. And Denilson will always be Denilson. I remember when people predicted that by this time, he would be one of the world's most elite players.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=340192&cc=5901

5. jcmartins

jcmartins BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 22, 2005
    United States
    I agree with you, he could have had the same as Ronaldinho if he had learned his passing ways.. if only he tred to setup his teammates like dinho does, all the time, he could have been much bigger than he was (or is)

6. ZiZouTrini

ZiZouTrini New Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Maryland , USA
    Denilson

I remember way back then when he was the buzz as the new hope for Brasil and all that other stuff and he went off and did nothing. I dont know if it is the fact that he fell out of favor with the coach or his form was just horrible but he just fell off the map. I am hoping that Robinho doesnt follow that route as well but anywayz that is besides the point, lol. Besides the times I have watched him play for Bordeaux this season and a little bit last season with Betis I have really never seen him in action or see the things he did that made him the hot thing he was years ago. Does anyone know where I can find Video clips or a compilation of his skills and goals and such. Or does anyone one have any of that stuff? Plus what had happened that he just fell off the map. Does anyone know about that as well too??

7. AuriVerde

AuriVerde Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Fortaleza-CE,Brasil
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Re: Denilson

Mate,i was about to ask the same questions:)

8. ZiZouTrini

ZiZouTrini New Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Maryland , USA

LOL. Well that is good cause I thought I was the only one that was just out of the loop cause it seems like everyone else knows except me or something. All I know is that he plays for Bordeaux and announcers alwayz talk about how there was such a buzz around him and how skillfull he was and then he just dissappeared. I saw him play this year and he did a brillaint flick and a nice through ball but that is it? Can anyone help answer AuriVerde and ZiZouTrini(ME!!! :) ) questions, lol.

9. rafael123

rafael123 New Member

Feb 9, 2004
    SP, Brasil
  10. Gnafron

Gnafron Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Lyon, Cx-Rousse
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France

He has played 1 or 2 good games for Bordeaux (against Lyon he was impressing) but he's been on the bench for a while. We've seen sparks of pure class, but only sparks till now…

Ricardo asked him to defend too, he wouldn't in the beginning but he does now, and does that pretty well. I think he can succed in Bordeaux: the team is south-american friendly (like Lyon is brazilian friendly :D), the coach has shown patience, and the whole team is behind him.

I bet he could be in shape and at his peak by the end of the season but here in France we are eager to see him next season where he sure will shine.

11. ZiZouTrini

ZiZouTrini New Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Maryland , USA

Yea cause isnt the coach of Bordeaux a Brasilian or something. Yea I hope that he does get into shape and all of that cause I would like to see some sparks of brilliance from him that caused such hype back in the day. Plus I have seen Bordeaux play and they have been playing somewhat attractive football at times. We can only wait and see I guess.

12. Gnafron

Gnafron Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Lyon, Cx-Rousse
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France

Gomes Raymundo RICARDO coaches Bordeaux at the moment.

Brazilian, former Fluminense, Benfica and Paris SG player; he did coach Brazil olympic team too.

I think he'll succeed there, and he's the one whom bet for Denilson and convinced him to try to get back his best level playing in France.

13. ZiZouTrini

ZiZouTrini New Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Maryland , USA

Rafael123 thanks very much for the compilation. I urge anyone who peeks through here and wondered the same thing about denilson to check it out. Just watching that just makes me want to cheer for him more and hope that he can some how get back in form like that. I think that the French league is the best league for him to do it in. And bordeaux is not a bad squad. They keep up thier form and they are destine for a European spot. So what do you guys think it will take from him to get back in form. I dont expect him to be like how he was that caused the hype , but atleast quality that he stands out and is a lock for a starting position instead of coming off the bench. Also do you guys think if he has a spectacular season that he can sneak his way back onto the national squad or is that out of the question?

14. Cool Rob

Cool Rob Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Chicago USA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Denilson is my favorite too...by far.

I think there are three main reasons for Denilson's lack of realization of potential:

1) He is just too selfish for today's game. You can only be that selfish if you are standing in front of the goal. He doesn't bring much to defense. Of course, that "selfishness" is what makes him great. He is a symbol of pure "art" football; if you score, great- if not, so what? There's no room for that now, except in Brazil. I wish he went back to Santos. His style is ideal for open-ended play, but that doesn't happen much... especially in Europe.

2) Betis were definitely the wrong club at the wrong time. Betis is not renowned for tactical sophistication, surrounding great players, or really anything. Denilson's growth was stunted there, and he went there at a young age. There's a reason why the greats (Ronaldo, etc.) go to Holland first- they learn alot to add to their incredible skills. I'm seeing it again with with DeMarcus Beasley, my favorite American player. Even Ronaldinho didn't do very well at his first Euro club, PSG where he was arguing with coaches and hanging out in strip clubs all night.

Juventus was always interested in him, and had he gone there, he would have grown much more. Denilson initially learned from the great Brazilian coach Tele Santana at Sao Paulo...I don't think he picked up much in Europe, except boatloads of cash.

3) Today's game. As I said earlier Denilson is a pure "Art" player, a throwback to the early 60's. He would have been much more successful back then, mainly because of a lack of TV. Today, opposing defenders can watch 20 different angles of all of his moves. I'm not sure Garrincha would be AS successful today if a backline (and 10 coaches) could endlessly review every single one of the variations of his right side moves (although there still would be no way to stop his free kicks).

He's rich as hell, but he's still not that old. Lets hope he finds the right team.

15. رساوي

رساوي New Member

Mar 8, 2007
    denilson !!

[​IMG]

Where play now? ​

It was wonderful. Wonderful. ​

Ronaldo is the best! ^_^​

رساوي​

16. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
  17. abo 3abd

abo 3abd New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    hi guys
    Denílson lose as much as we think, I think he just came for a money .

So .. buy buy Denílson :(

18. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Denilson has always been like this..

19. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I am not sure if he is injured or not, but seriously speaking that's the only reason players go play there ... the money. Why else would they go ? Even so, they should still act like professionals.

20. pura_vida362

pura_vida362 Member

Sep 2, 2005
    Mississauga, Canada
    Mannnn I really used to like this guy. Too bad what happened to him.

21. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    well denilson went on trial with some scrub english team but they ended up not signing him so it's not like he didnt try.

22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Honestly, he has better options than Saudi Arabia. At the very least he could be playing in Brazil. No question he is only there for the money.

23. رساوي

رساوي New Member

Mar 8, 2007
  24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo