Thoroughly confused on game installation. Please help me!

Discussion in 'Technology' started by bostonsoccermdl, Nov 21, 2006.

1. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Ok, I will do my best to summarize what happened in order to hopefully get some feedback.

I recently purchased Battlefield 2142 via the online Electronics Arts download link (didnt purchase from store b/c it only comes in DVD format and I have CD rom drive.)

I have 2 hard drives and installed on my main where I keep most of my other stuff. I downloaded the link, and then the game and it worked fine.

Now THIS is where everything went downhill.....

my main was now 95% filled and although technically not totally filled, I was told using up so much space on one drive would slow it down, and my system was acting slower. So I manually (which I NOW know is a bad idea) swapped everything to the D: backup hard drive.

I then proceeded to get error messages, and the downloader AND the game wouldnt work. I uninstalled, and then reinstalled on both hard drives (b/c the first attempt didnt work), and to make a long story short nothing would work on either drive once I got through with it.

Desperate, I asked a few guys at Best Buy (Geek Squad) who were nice enough to recommend 2 free programs to clean out my registry. I used both
    and got rid of all the files they brought up.

I decided to go and reinstall it on the original C: drive where it worked (since it worked originally) and I got the downloader to work again, but when I install the game and click on the icon on desktop, the computer "thinks" for a bit with the hourglass, and then nothing happnes. no error message, not freezing up, it is just as if I never clicked anything.

I checked the online FAQ's and send in an e:mail request for help, but of course I havent heard anything yet. The problem is that I spent $50 for the game, and now have no way to run it or get my money back.

I feel trapped, and frustuated b/c the game should work, but dont know how to do it.

If anyone can help me or needs more specific info, please let me know.

2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Does the game process turn up in the Task manager after you click on the shortcut on your desktop?

3. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Well, under the "application" tab, no. I checked that.

Under the "processes", it does for a few seconds then disappears. the BF2142launcher.exe file begins while the computer "thinks" then disappears as the thinking stops.

4. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.
    you might need a no c.d. patch (even though you should'nt) now to get it to play.

5. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    can you elaborate please? is this an overall patch for this type of problem or more specific? is the installation straighforward?

6. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.
    basicly it's a patch/crack that lets you run games on your p.c. without haveing a game c.d. in your disc drive.

wiki entry

installing is normally swaping the file for the games launch file in the games programme folder.

7. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I tried one and followed the instructions however it says the "installation file has been corrupted and I need to redownload game" anytime I move the original.exe and replace it with the new file.

8. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.
  9. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Ty for your help anyway, I appreciate. If anyone else has any ideas I am down for trying them.

10. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Well, just an update.

Still no success, and EA's version of replying to tech support via e:mail is to cut and paste some portion of their tech FAQ's.. :rolleyes:

Good new is that it isnt my fault, as upon searching around a bit, alot of people are running into the same exact problem I have.

http://www.totalbf2142.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5143
    http://games.internode.on.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=95379
    http://bf2142.gamersnation.co.uk/BF2142Forum/viewtopic/t=131.html

Problem is none have worked so far, and those that do for people are few and far between.

Looks like it is a bug with the downloader, and some believe it is a security related feature EA is experimenting with, at our expense..

Most that install off the DVD have little or no problems, SO ADVISE DONT USE THE EA DOWNLOADER TO PURCHASE GAMES...