Thorns General Information and News

Discussion in 'Portland Thorns FC' started by cpthomas, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Riley set the expectation when he was hired with the " I'd rather win 6-5 than 1-0 " quote.

It's his baby. No team in history has ever won a championship allowing 5 goals, and plenty have allowing under a goal per game.

It's how he wanted to build the team. He's not a victim of circumstance. It was his philosophy.

TsovLoj repped this.
  2. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #77 Cliveworshipper, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2014

Wait a minute. You reference a guy who wouldn't move from Beervana with a beer from San Diego County?

It's a pretty good beer if you like stouts ( I'm a hophead) but Portland has 53 breweries ( and counting) and maybe 300 brewpubs. This guy didn't think Georgia didn't have Blatz or something....

http://portlandbrewpubs.com

3. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lame story-telling on my part. I wasn't talking to the guy who wouldn't move but to someone else about him. The name Ol' Rasputin just popped up. I countered with Pliny the Elder if it's any comfort.

But suddenly that name, Rasputin, just took on sudden significance! That's the name of that ex-KGB scoundrel who's in charge of Russia now, except shortened! (Ras-) PUTIN!!! Except instead of working his evil through the Imperial Family, he's directly in charge now! Where's Dostoyevsky when you need him?

Cliveworshipper repped this.
  4. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, not to say he isn't responsible because he embraced the idea of creating an offensive juggernaut. But all things in perspective, how you going to lower expectations when you have Morgan and Sinclair (and Heath to boot)? You're not.

There weren't expectations under the Regime of the Parlow-Cone Hat? Expectations that many fans were unhappy about not being met?

He took an underdog team to the WPS Championship in his two years at Philly. The first with Caroline Seger the key in the midfield. The second with Vero. Why wouldn't he envision a potent attacking side when he brings Vero back to the US and he has, in Sinclair and Morgan, far better strikers than he was able to surround Vero with in Philly? Why be shy about it?

He's a good coach. He's had a rough year and it's fair to criticize him for some of it. We now know he's not the Coach for All Seasons. But here they are and I think they probably have the best chance of knocking off Seattle of anyone right now.

hykos1045 repped this.
  5. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Well, anybody who thinks that you can win allowing 5 goals is delusional. And it shows no respect for the part of the game that wins championships. Offence just determines by how much. At least CPC understood that part of it, even if she had no clue how to get the most out of the offensive talent.

And CPC got Sinclair and Morgan more shots, which Riley doesn't seem to be able to consistently do either. For every 7-1 game, he's got a couple 0-5 matches to account for.

6. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The point is he's first and foremost a coach. He does well when he mostly has role players to work with. It's when you add in a bunch of superstars that the cracks in his armor begin to show. Once the big guns were in place, the Thorns needed a manager more than a coach, and Riley has shown this year to be less than stellar at that aspect of the game.

7. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps but this is the first time he's ever had "superstars" -- and I mean that in the way that includes publicity, media attention, fame. Because based on just their game, both Vero and Caroline Seger are stars in their own right. I believe even though the Thorns won last year, most of their fans thought they didn't live up to expectations either under Parlow-Cone.

The fact is Morgan has never been as spectacular for her club team as she's been for the national team. Sinclair had an off-year (and there were signs of decline last year as well). And Heath, well, let's leave it at that.

8. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I've just read that Jessica McDonald is going to play for the newly relegated Bundesliga 1st division team, Herforder SV. Should be interesting, though I'm not sure how the usual techno minded German fans going to react for her power & athletic style of play

9. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    You mean promoted.

10. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yeah your right! it's a little confusing since recently their top league altered their name to Allienz-Frauen Bundesliga.

This is unconfirmed still, but I read Amber Brooks might be going back to Bayern Munich

11. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
  12. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. The Valiants

The Valiants Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Melbourne
    Catley scores for Melbourne Victory

14. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Season tickets to be sent out this week, per ticket office.

15. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. JoeCelt

JoeCelt Member+

Jul 7, 2012
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
  18. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portland fans will get the significance of this. Cool marketing. Only in Portland ....

[​IMG]

19. westcoast ape

westcoast ape Member+

Nov 27, 2000
    Portland, OR
    Are people going to take selfies of their feet standing on these?

Cliveworshipper, holden and cpthomas repped this.
  20. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    They are setting up for fireworks before the game tonight.

21. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Boom.

Riley's gone.

No replacement named.

22. warh2os

warh2os Member

Oct 29, 2007
    With the announcement at this time, might they have a good idea of who it might be. Think it will be before or after the Championship game?

23. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Oregonian says announcement should come soon. If they haven't picked somebody, there is a short list.

Let's hope third time is a charm.

24. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Time for the Thorns' installment of the "best moments" series!
    http://www.nwslsoccer.com/News/894806.html
    I know all you Portland people are passionate and opinionated about your team, so what are your thoughts on these three? Right three?

25. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the Betos goal definitely is #1. People still talk about it, all the fans know exactly what the talk is referring to, and it's a goal that will be talked about for years. That's the mark of a "best moment."