Thorns General Information and News

Discussion in 'Portland Thorns FC' started by cpthomas, Feb 13, 2014.

1. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Don’t know if the main starters in the NT will be involved.

3. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

jnielsen and Klingo3034 repped this.
  4. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jnielsen repped this.
  5. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting hire...

jnielsen and cpthomas repped this.
  6. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Attendance for the Thorns v Reign pre-season match this evening at Providence Park: 8,452

Klingo3034 repped this.
  7. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cliveworshipper repped this.
  9. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #234 Cliveworshipper, Oct 25, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2022

It’s a nice thought, but there would have to be changes in both MLS and NWSL ownership rules to allow a purchase by any such community groups. NWSL ownership rules require an owner be worth at least $15 million and the ownership group be with at least $25 million. I’m guessing nobody in section 107 fits that criteria. The fan groups claim pledges so far of about $700K , far short of what would be required to buy the Timbers and Thorns, which are valued by Sportico at around $700 million. Just the Thorns are valued at between $35 and 100 million.

For Comparison, Sportico values the LA franchise at $100 million with attendance of just over 19,000 this year. Even with the fan boycot Thorns attendance this year was over 15,000 and topped 20,000 precovid and pre fan boycott.

the most promising group I see for the purchase of the Thorns is a group headed by former Nike Exec Melanie Strong, who rose through the ranks there before quitting in a promotion dispute. She is currently suing Nike. It was through Paulson that Nike became a major stakeholder in the league.

it is unclear how Pergrine, Paulson’s ownership company, would equitably separate the Timbers and Thorns in the Stadium lease details. Another complication is that the Portland City council has veto on any ownership changes because of the binding stadium long term lease agreement. The only way Peregrine bails out of that is by paying off the stadium debt.

As to the sale of the Timbers, the MLS ownership rules seem to preclude any shareholder type ownership in the Style of the Green Bay Packers. A single owner must have a controlling interest. And Paulson’s dad is still apparently on the MLS exec committee.

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/2...rns-from-embattled-owner-merritt-paulson.html

10. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005

11. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
  12. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
  13. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #238 Cliveworshipper, Dec 1, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
    season ticket holders got a similar letter from Paulson today that is similar.

I’m getting the idea from local sources that the Strong group purchase is a done deal. One source says the fan group will be involved, which I think is good for Portland. I find that the statement in local news that the two teams will share about 1/3 of staff ( probably game day people) is interesting and means just details are left.

remember in all this that the Portland city council gets veto on any Peregrine ownership changes per the Stadium agreement. If they are smart, they will insist on some transfer of stadium rights to the new Thorns ownership.

Klingo3034 and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  14. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there is a sharing of staff -- I hope there will -- I suspect it will be more than just game day staff. For example, it would make sense to share ticketing and account management staff. My suspicion is that where there will be economies of scale not related to those working directly with players, at least initially they will try to work out a system that takes avantage of those economies.

15. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Yeah, you are probably right. They might even share medical and training costs. One other thing was a separate Thorns training venue. This year they talked about sharing the Timbers Tualatin training center, and the Thorns used the new Portland Pilots training fields occasionally (As did other pro and international teams)

but the last I heard is that many Thorns preferred the stadium for practice rather than trudging out to Tualatin, and that’s where most of their practices are currently held. I bet they at least explore nearby alternate sites. They will need a grass field to prepare for away games on grass.

16. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    One other thing to think about is the condition of the Providence pitch. It’s about due for replacement, which has happened every 3-4 years since the Timbers joined MLS.
    Every time this happens there is talk about moving to a grass or more likely, a hybrid pitch. The cost of replacement currently comes out of the ticket tax, which is well above projected revenue. The city gave that revenue to Peregrine in exchange for not being responsible for the condition of the pitch, which was the previous agreement. The city called this a good deal.

The stumbling block was alway that Portland state still had rights to play pointy ball there. That seems resolved, so the only impediment is cost of installation and maintenance, which will probably mean grow lights late in the year.
    The cost of that might get expensive.

17. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sat in on a session where I got to ask about grass. From the response, it seems unlikely to me. Having enough sunlight is a big issue. Another issue is that Tanner Creek runs under the field and apparently could present a problem (I am not sure why). Grass, which definitely would be a big improvement, would be what I would like to see, but there appear to be a lot more barriers (apart from the now gone Portland State football) than I had realized. Darn!

Klingo3034, kolabear and Cliveworshipper repped this.
  18. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
  19. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Is that a good thing?

20. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Maybe or maybe not. They could move or stay but have to pay for the stadium and training facilities.

21. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    I wonder if they could move without permission from the league though. Portland is obviously a great market. Plus the diligence the league has put into expansion teams has focused on location.

22. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Natalia Kuikka will not be returning for next season.
    Her contract expired at the end of the 2023 season.
    No details given.

Klingo3034 repped this.
  23. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Wow that is wrong. They should have re-signed her.

24. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Kuikka signed a three year deal with the Chicago Red Stars.

blissett repped this.