This weekend's CAN qualifiers

Discussion in 'Africa' started by saabrian, Sep 5, 2002.

1. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    African Nations Cup 2004 qualifiers start this weekend. The most intriguing match in Africa will be held Sunday afternoon in Abidjan between powers Ivory Coast and South Africa. Bafana Bafana will be without captain Lucas Radaebe, who was not released by his club Leeds United for this critical qualifier. This will complicate an already difficult task playing in Abidjan's notoriously hostile FHB Stadium where Ivory Coast have an excellent record.

Another match of interest will see World Cup disappointments Nigeria visit Luanda to play Angola. The Angolans are a hot and cold side but playing at home, could suprise Nigeria.

Another match of interest (not just because I used to live in the former) might be Guinea-Liberia on Sunday in Conakry. Guinea are playing their first competitive match after reinstatement to FIFA (they were suspended for political intereference in the FA), while Liberia are playing their first competitive match since the international retirement of George Weah. As bad as they can be on the road, I can't remember the last time Guinea lost a competitive match in Conakry.

Senegal visit Lesotho with a new coach but without two of their top players. Liverpool's El Hadj Diouf and Salif Diao chose not to join the Lions; Diouf had said he would boycott the team if former coach Bruno Metsu was not re-instated.

2. desertfox2

desertfox2 Member

Jul 18, 2000
    Trenton, NJ
    Ok, where are all of the times for these matches? And the only site I've found that's doing a live matchcast of the games is the-shot.com (bbc.com is also covering a couple of matches this Sunday). Does anyone know a site that tells the kickoff times of the matches? And is there any other site out there with live up to the minute scores? If someone could answer in this thread that would be great.