this is a shame....

Discussion in 'Spain' started by pepster, Oct 22, 2004.

1. pepster

pepster New Member

Mar 25, 2000
    EL CLUB NO DEBERÁ CUMPLIR LA SANCIÓN POR LOS INCIDENTES DEL BARÇA-MADRID DEL 2002

El Barça se beneficiará de las medidas de gracia del próximo presidente de la RFEF

El Camp Nou se librará del cierre

2. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey mods, I vote this moves into the general Spain forum, there are a lot of people here who don't always check the Real Madrid forum, and this affects all fans, not just madridistas. Lots of other stadiums in Spain have been closed for less (or for worse, in the case of Sevilla and the beaten security guard).

I don't see a link here, though, and nothing on Marca's front page yet. What's the source, Pepster???

3. pepster

pepster New Member

Mar 25, 2000
    www.sport.es

http://www.sport.es/default.asp?idpublicacio_PK=34&idioma=CAS&idnoticia_PK=157721&idseccio_PK=637&h=

4. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. I'll leave a re-direct in this forum.

5. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, I just think this is worth talking about. Who else but Barcelona and Real Madrid could avoid a shut down of their stadiums??? Where are you fans of the smaller clubs??

6. Qdog

Qdog Member

May 8, 2002
    Andalusia
    Club:
    Sevilla FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You shouldn´t find Real Madrid guilty by association. Tell me a time when the Real Madrid fans or club acted like the Barcelona fans did that night. If Barcelona doesn´t serve their penalty it will be a real shame and all the fans of Spanish futbol has the right to be upset, including the fans of Real Madrid.

7. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the Real Madrid-Valencia game thread, MadridForever is arguing that Valencia gets special treatment. I could imagine Deportivo, which, IMO, rounds out a Big Four of La Liga in recent years, may have extra pull. I can also see a very small club, Recreativo, getting special treatment if it were in life-threatening trouble. It's Spain's oldest team, and very well loved.

8. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    It's a good thing this wasn't Madrid possibily not having to close down their stadium after shamefull behaviour of their supporters like what happened in Barcelona (shamefull Barça supporters is probably a pleonasm, it should be) or else this topic would have been 3 pages long by now full with messages written by all the selective critics this board can hold.

Yay!

9. pepster

pepster New Member

Mar 25, 2000
    tell me if i got it right: this is a matter to be decided by the spanish federation alone. now, barcelona have gone to court to impugn the federation (before the federation had anything to say). so, this goes against uefa's rule that these matters should not be dealt by anyone other than the clubs and the federation. if a club breaks this agreement (or rule, whatever), uefa does not invite the offending club to participate in the champions league.

but this is barcelona....

do i have that right?

10. njonkers

njonkers New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Cape Town,SA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Humans cannot close down holy grounds my friends.

11. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    We are talking about the Camp Nou, not about the Bernabeu. There's nothing holy about a ground that houses a team that hasn't won a prize in what, half a decade already.
    Keep up with the topic.

I don't know if it's against UEFA rules to take matters to a real court, although I have a sneaking feeling that it might be, but the Spanish Federation might decide by itself that the just punishment won't be given after the scum-like behaviour of the Barcelona supporters. Just like they were 'pardoned' after not playing in the Copa del Rey.

It's a disgrace to Spanish football, that this kind of corrupt and foul dealings are done by and for Barcelona.

12. njonkers

njonkers New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Cape Town,SA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    What is your problem Oscar.?

13. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not indicting Real Madrid as guilty by association, but really, there are two teams in Spain that are bigger than all of Spanish football, Real Madrid and Barcelona. Other teams like Sevilla and Real Betis have had their stadiums closed and their appeals denied. Somehow, Barcelona avoids closure on what was a definitive decision by the RFEF. How is that fair to the other 19 teams in Primera, and what kind of legal precedent does it set? Will every team from now on be able to appeal and avoid sanctions, or is only Barcelona worthy of such treatment?

Whether you are a fan of Barca or not, you must see how this affects the other teams, especially the smaller clubs who do not wield the influence over the RFEF that Barcelona does. It's an injustice. I just hope the next team that gets hit with a stadium closure is able to appeal and reverse the decision, otherwise, it's a sure sign of favoritism towards Barcelona.

14. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ¿Are you not reading this topic? ¿Didn't I tell you to keep up already?

It's the total lack of equality that is being shown towards Barcelona as opposed to the other Spanish teams, that they will most likely be free of punishment once again (not playing against Atletico in the Copa del Rey being the first offense) when other teams would get punished, and deservedly so when a team shows such total disrespect and lack of class as Barcelona and it's fans have done.

It's an outrage. The horror!

15. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Las cosas siguen igual. Los grandes con enchufes y los pequenos al ************!
    Betis got 2 games for the Derby Sevillano a couple of years ago and I imagine they will also receive a fine and possible closure for the moron who threw a 12 guage shotgun shell onto the pitch during the Betis-Real Madrid game last week. On the Betis list last year this thread was discussed and all of us agreed that at the end Barca would escape closure because they are Barca and have enchufes where it counts and voila we were correct.

That is why everytime a team that is not Real Madrid or Barca wins the liga it is a good day for Spanish futbol.

Viva er beti manque lopera!

Pichi

16. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll drink to that....

17. Qdog

Qdog Member

May 8, 2002
    Andalusia
    Club:
    Sevilla FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You´ll hear about this in May when Sevilla is fighting it out with the two big boys for the league title. :D

Betis deserved their penalty, Sevilla deserved their penalty, and Barcelona deserves a penalty also. Let me know when Real Madrid deserves one too. Again, please hold the clubs that don´t take the proper actions to control the fans responsible, and not the ones you don´t like.

18. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you Q-Dog and well said. I don't hold Real Madrid responsible, I simply argue that only two clubs in Spain have the political clout to avoid suspension, and Barcelona has proven that they have it.

Again, my biggest concern is not that Barcelona got away without a closure to the stadium. But in my opinion, this leaves the Competition Committee that determines these types of sanctions without any teeth next time a club has incidents at their stadium that are worthy of sanction. It sets a dubious precedent and a stadium closure (and the lost revenues, etc... associated with it) will be that much more difficult to enforce in the future. Barcelona could actually afford a stadium closure, I'm not so sure that smaller clubs, especially those recently ascended to Primera, could.

However, I don't think any of us that regularly post on this forum are under the illusion that La Liga is a level playing field for everybody. It tilts in favor of the Camp Nou and Bernabeu.