Things were better back then - but were they?

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Sao Taffarel, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Sao Taffarel

Sao Taffarel New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Things were better back then - but were they?
    I do not even know when 'then' was. Comparisons are sometimes valid and sometimes not, but they are of interest most of the time and provoke views - occasionally of some ferocity. Some thoughts: Edmilson started the World Cup badly (I think), was dropped and then reinstated. There have undoubtedly been better (and worse) central defenders in the past but how many have you seen do what he did with that spectacular goal? Was Brito and Piazza from 1970 capable? What about Oscar from 1978 and 1982? True, Edinho in 1986 scored an excellent individual goal x Poland... Do you see where I am at. Ronaldo x Pele? Some say no contest - certainly where heading is concerned! Another but - sorry -on speed and ball trickery - is he - Ronaldo - really that far behind? Roberto Carlos: could Everaldo from 1970 really do what this guy can? Admittedly Junior in 1982 was a similar do anything type. Leandro in 1982: has there ever been a right back/lateral direita with his sheer mastery of the ball (ignoring those areas where he was perhaps not as gifted)? I have seen the odd film of Didi and I must admit he was supercool in possession and had an excellent shot and free kick. Has there ever been a volante of such elegance and flamboyance as Cerezo? Romario x Zico: could be a dead heat that one! I am not trying to change the established world order of Brazilian craques, just trying to make a case for putting other players to the forefront. I for one am not convinced that everything back then was better (though that 1970 kit took some beating!).

2. moacir

moacir New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Figueira da Foz, PT
    Deixadinha

One of the goals in 1970 (England or Italy game), Tostão, with his back toward the end line and falling down, lobbed a perfect cross to Pelé.The whole defense was awaiting for his strike, he guns down but lets the ball roll and (I think) Jairzinho (Carlos Alberto, if it was in the Italy game) that was runnig down unmarked hit a rocket that caught the defense off guard, and scored.
    Fast Forward - 2002: Rivaldo lets the ball roll and Ronaldo scores.

They are all the greatest.

3. Riotom9

Riotom9 Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Texas
    After watching some highlights of the 58-70 teams, I will have to say some of the feats of Brasil 98-02 have been equally as impressive. Maybe you don't have that skill in every position, or the luxury of the constant attacking and fluidity, but some of the individual touch passes, dribbles, and shots are at least equal to many of the greats.

I still think Rivaldo's feats for Barca in 99-01 are a highlight reel that would at least compete with any player in history. Certainly the last 20 years. Same with Ronaldo 96-98.

4. Sao Taffarel

Sao Taffarel New Member

Mar 19, 2002
  5. Cool Rob

Cool Rob Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Chicago USA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look at the Video

After looking at Brazil video from 1950-2002, I must say that the 1998 and 2002 teams must be very highly rated.

Way back when 1970, 1958, etc... there are only 1, maybe 2 defenders around the ball when Pele, and Tostao did their stuff (check out the last goal against Italy in 1970).

If you look at 2002 Brazil WC games, EVERY time Ronaldo, Rivaldo et al touched the ball, 5 people collaspsed on them. For the 1998 and 2002 teams to do the things they did, almost Harlem Globetrotter-type moves, against TIGHTLY-packed defenses, well, that is incredible.

In short, the degree of difficulty to play the Beautiful Game is much higher today, and the team still did it. That's no small accomplishment today to be the:
    1) Highest Scoring team
    2) Most entertaining team
    3) WC Champions

Go Brazil!

6. Sao Taffarel

Sao Taffarel New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    good points.