Things that cause Global Warming

Discussion in 'Bill Archer's Guestbook' started by FeverNova1, Aug 10, 2007.

1. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    By what means have they determined that '50%' reduction is back to a 'normal' level?

And no, the climate is not changing faster than feared (em. mine):
    Now we get to the crux of the problem:

2. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Women who lust after men that drive sports cars.

(or men who think that they can attract women if they drive sports cars)

3. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    Yeah well, driving hybrids could be hazardous to your health.

So not only is that nerdy guy you made fun of in high school now getting 52 miles per gallon, he's getting special treatment from Arnold himself, which allows him to zip past you in the carpool lane, while you sit stuck in traffic.

This is why Prius drivers like Jane Velez-Mitchell (Yes, the TV legal analyst who sometimes appears on CNN Headline News) say they've been yelled at, honked at, cut off in traffic and generally messed with.

4. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Smug Alert!

I was driving to work a while back when a Prius pulled up along side me. It had a bumper sticker "Al Qaeda Hates this Car" and the plates said "HI MPG 3".

5. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can the Prius just be called a clitoris extension. Your douchatude is on full display when you drive one of those things

6. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    "Al Qaeda Hates this Car"??? Do they not produce much shrapnel when exploded?

7. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always thought of them as the Mao Jacket of vehicles: lacking in aesthetic beauty, completly anti-decadence, and a good way of letting people know about your closed-minded, autocratic, collectivist vision for your fellow man...

8. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Blah blah blah CONSENSUS!!! Blah blah blah THE DEBATE IS OVER!!!!11!!!
    Still plenty of debate left.

9. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being a lighting specifier, this issue is very important to me. But this is the silly part of the legislation, IMO

So we will still be able to purchase 3 way and rough service lamps which create the same quality of light and are in many ways less efficient than a standard A19 or A21. Plus, we can always specify a number of different reflector lamps which will still be legal and more efficient.

In honesty, this measure is more fluff than meat and meant for politicians to feel good about themselves.

11. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    I haven't reviewed all of this bill yet, but as an architect, I'm very interested in it's contents. The good news is the reflectors which we see in many downlights and in some track lighting.

Matt, are we still able to use A-lamps?

12. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Wow...so I can keep my black lights??

Totally rad man, totally cool!

13. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    You mean politicians are engaging in shambolic posturing? No...tell me it isn't so!

The movement away from incandescents is already occurring -- and will continue to occur unabated whether this is law or not. Why? Because people know it will save them money. And makers of lights know they have to continually improve the quality of light output.

Gee...that reminds me of...what's the word I am thinking of...oh, that's right.

MARKETS.

In my view, generally, if you want people to use less of something, you don't ban it, you tax it.

14. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    It's my understanding that China makes the compact fluorescents and they contain mercury. Hmmm....anyone see a problem here?

15. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Relax: I'm sure the Chinese companies are using counterfeit mercury.

16. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Blah blah blah CONSENSUS!!! Blah blah blah THE DEBATE IS OVER!!!!11!!!

U.S. Senate Report: Over 400 Prominent Scientists Disputed Man-Made Global Warming Claims in 2007

Senate Report Debunks "Consensus"

17. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A-lamps are on the outs. If I were you, I'd start specifying PAR 30 or 36 WFL's instead. They will remain cool to use. Or you can specify any A or P shaped lamp without a medium base. Depends on what you want to do with them.

Or ask your friendly neighborhood lighting consultant for advice should you have a special situation in mind :)

18. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All CF's contain mercury, no matter where they are made. This is gonna be a big mess down the line. Argon never did anything to anyone's central nervous system.

19. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    I was told that China is the only one that makes CF's. I find that hard to believe, but I haven't researched it either.

20. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    I guess old age would be a stretch.

22. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    Right now in your house there are appliaces which are not being used and are plugged in to the outlet. Even if not turned on they still use energy.

SHAME ON YOU PEOPLE! UN PLUG EVERYTHING YOU DON'T NEED!

23. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    Unplug your computer then.

24. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Hey, my dog wants. No. My dog NEEDS to have all the lights on, the stereo turned up and the thermostat set to 78.

And the humidifier on.