They Needed a Minivan but Got a Gio: Reyna at Nottingham Forest (Olf Borussia Dortmund)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jond, Dec 6, 2017.

1. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    I had the CBS broadcast on mute during a call, why was Matts yelling at Gio after the match?

2. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    Hummels and Gio arguing for a solid 4 minutes at the center circle. Terzic even tried to break it up. Hummels is pissed about something he did

Pl@ymaker, adam tash and dark knight repped this.
  3. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hummels seemed to be aggravated with Gio after the match. Was watching this one on a second screen so not sure why. Anyone else happen to see this?

I did notice Reyna set up Reus with a chance to potentially win the match late and the German fumbled it.

Namdynamo, Pl@ymaker, madvillain and 3 others repped this.
  4. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    Man, idk but there arguing for a long time. Cameras were focused in to see what was going on. Terzic tried to to calm Gio down and break up the discussion. Those guys - Gio and Hummels-are not on good terms right now.
    I don’t know who is wrong or right here. I just wish Gio was getting more than 10 min a match to make a difference

Pl@ymaker, Zinkoff and zlatan_but_a_car repped this.
  5. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess would be he seldom seems to get back on d w/ any vigor. Just one speed.

There were also remonstrations between him and Bens during the game. But that seemed to be more Bens scapegoated for his careless pass.

6. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    There were some gestures from Gio that looked like "the ball was at the feet", so it might've been about Gio cussing out Reus, which would be unacceptable since Reus is the captain.

madvillain, adam tash, ChrisSSBB and 2 others repped this.
  7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Reus is not the captain, Kobel is.

Picking a fight with Hummels is really really bad.

zlatan_but_a_car repped this.
  8. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    One can’t help but think that the feud there, whether big/small and resolved or not, is just representative of Reyna’s recent time at Dortmund, and the writing appears to be on the wall.

Mt Stone@, usnroach and adam tash repped this.
  9. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I don't have a problem with it. Gio has been screwed over by this manager and there is no way that would have continued on as long as it has if the veterans on the team weren't cool with it.

10. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Forcing the sale. It's not as there is anything wrong with that.

grandinquisitor28 and adi21 repped this.
  11. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Gio unhappy with the postgame snacks again.

ChrisSSBB and beamish repped this.
  12. 60611

60611 Member+

Jan 23, 2007
    Chicago
    no it isn’t. Hummels has been a prick to Gio since day 1, and anyone with half a brain knows Gio ain’t sticking around for much longer.

Surprised you didn’t find some forum quotes to try and create more drama, but I suspect it’s coming.

Namdynamo, Pl@ymaker and adam tash repped this.
  13. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Yeah, I didn't know that Reus relinquished captaincy over the summer. Apparently Kobel is vice-captain, but is wearing the armband since Can wasn't named to the squad today. Still, if Gio did have a go at Reus, I can't imagine a veteran like Hummels would appreciate that

14. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Who says he picked the fight? Who says he's in the wrong? Seems like nobody knows what it was about. Maybe Gio is in the wrong, but I want players with passion. I'm cool with it absent any real info.

15. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    Based on recent history, Gio is likely going to get the disapproval - but without context, who knows, I won't rush to judgement. For all we know. Hummels was way out of line.

Either way, Hummels left to applaud the home fans, and Gio was walking around venting/steaming to another BvB youth player (could not make out who). A January loan becomes more and more appealing by the day....

16. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I turned the game off right when the whistle blew, so I didn't see the Gio/Hummels spat, but Hummel was yelling at Reus in the 1st half when Hummels wanted a free kick taken quickly and Reus wanted to slow things down. So, I don't think it was Gio yelling at Reus that was the problem (unless only Hummels can yell at Reus).

TimB4Last repped this.
  17. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    [​IMG]

In better times ...

18. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    This is true - hard for me personally to not wonder if it’s another sign of some immaturity given how bad the first instance was - but who knows. Could be nothing or could be the kid still has some growing up to do.

19. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Gio has played in the first team at that club for five seasons.

Namdynamo, russ, diablodelsol and 2 others repped this.
  20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I don't know who was in the wrong, but I do know Hummels carries much more weight in the locker room.

Guess Gio needs to get out ASAP.

21. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    I don't do math too good, is 14 seasons more or less than 5?

usnroach repped this.
  22. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Could also be ado about nothing

23. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Unless you think me posting on this site for 20 years makes my opinion more important than yours, I’m not sure what 5 vs 14 has to do with this discussion. Reyna’s not a kid and he’s been around the club longer than most, so I don’t think he needs to to hold himself to any different standard than anyone else.

Namdynamo, majspike and 60611 repped this.
  24. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this situation just gets weirder and weirder....

Gio needs to go where he can play.

25. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I only saw a portion of it but looked like a lot of nothing to me. Seems annoyed at Reyna who is trying to plead his case.