They Needed a Minivan but Got a Gio: Reyna at Nottingham Forest (Olf Borussia Dortmund)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jond, Dec 6, 2017.

1. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Gio can play 96 minutes. Granted, there wasn't much defending going on. But still.

2. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I held my breath for him from minute 70 onward. Given his recent history, I suspect I/we will always be holding our breath for him

RunthePoint, twoolley, russ and 2 others repped this.
  3. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    He had some issue there near the end but obviously recovered well. He got stronger as the game went on. When everyone else got tired Gio's skill took over.

felloveranddidanadu and TimB4Last repped this.
  4. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    And there always seems to be at least one ‘uh-oh’ moment, when he gets kicked or tripped, or he grimaces, grabs his leg, something.

Reyna will need a LONG period of good health to settle my nerves.

majspike and felloveranddidanadu repped this.
  5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Wish he's scored on that 180 spin in the box. That was an amazing move surrounded by big defenders to put it on his right, but his shot failed him... He's really got vision and skill. Funny that Tillman was so bad (that I was sure he was gonna score, just cause) but Gio looked like the guy playing regularly.

gjackson2207 and psnotyours repped this.
  6. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Also just to drive home how little it matters if he is super fast or not 2021-2022 he clocked faster than bellinghams fastest any year.

what matters more is that he is fit enough and confident enough to hit his top physical ability.

7. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Bellingham is another slacker? I wouldn’t have guessed.

russ repped this.
  8. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think Reyna ever hit 33.6 km/hr. I agree he should be fast enough when fit to go and is not too gar from Bellingham at his fastest.
    “31 - Bellingham was a mainstay in Dortmund's side in 2022/23, making 31 league appearances. He only missed the Matchday 17 encounter with Mainz due to suspension, and the last two games of the season due to a knee injury. Nevertheless, he still played more minutes (2,691) than any other BVB squad member.

33.6 - His top speed (km/h) in the Bundesliga”

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bunde...russia-dortmund-england-birmingham-city-22150

9. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008

Attached Files:

10. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about that!

twoolley repped this.
  11. SloterHaus

SloterHaus Member

Dec 14, 2018
    Nmecha out for the rest of the year. That should drastically improve Renya's playing time.
    Also, I don't really know what the situation is, but Malen deleted all his Dortmund pics on Instagram after liking a Terzic out post the other day.

12. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Holy Crap...is this true? Source? I got COVID (first time, yo) so I've been out of it a bit.

adam tash, bungadiri and Winoman repped this.
  13. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Hang in there!

Dervos, bungadiri and Cris 09 repped this.
  14. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Thanks. Picked it up in New Orléans at a convention for work. Half our staff got it. LOL. Honestly...didn't even realize it until I had a bit of a sore throat and figured I'd get tested before visiting family. Yup...positive. Took the test Tuesday morning. I got to go to Mexico in a couple weeks so I hope I am cleared by then.

Dervos, MayaDempsey, russ and 2 others repped this.
  15. SloterHaus

SloterHaus Member

Dec 14, 2018
    1725204296055030001 is not a valid tweet id

glutton4Bolts, Namdynamo and Cris 09 repped this.
  16. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    You got symptoms for the first time. It's a cold, by now every human has very likely had it several times. Even the isolated tribes on the Andaman islands got it already.

Nola was at the epicenter of the "Pirola" sub-variant of Omicron (by now the bloody thing has thousands of them). Hope you're fine soon.

At least you'll be partially protected for three months or so.

Cris 09 repped this.
  17. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still doesn't get the start.

BostonRed repped this.
  18. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Gio ON at the half, after Dortmund put together a 0-2 to 3-2 comeback in the first half.

DCU1984 repped this.
  19. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Based on today's performance....does he deserve a start?

20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    #11495 Suyuntuy, Nov 25, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2023
    Gio is not attacked by the fans like many of our other Yanks Abroad. In the German language sites, he's barely (if ever) mentioned. No criticism, no praise, no evaluations, no comparisons, and the only thing you get once in a month is someone mentioning he's a decent option to come out of the bench (game day threads).

For example, here you can find him at the bottom of the page for their Mannschaft, with the other guys who seldom start, and the last post his thread is months old. The area is not very active though. I wish I knew more how the fans view him.

And no, the Reddit/Twitter fans don't really count to me, anyone can pretend to be a BvB fan there just to piss on Gio. Also, I'd prefer reading the opinions from German fans. They're the ones closest to the club and tend to have better insight (and on occasion some ITK stuff).

21. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Whats your opinion

22. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think I want him to start more than he might deserve to start. I may be biased in his favor. I have simply seen what he can do and hope for more of that. Just hasn't happened - in a while.

Winoman and twoolley repped this.
  23. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Yeah not sure helped nor hurt frankly. But hard to argue over brandt or bynoe-gittens rn plus malen. So, depends on sabitzer/reus.

24. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    Reyna on the bench, as expected, for todays match at San Siro

25. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not sure about what he desrves......bvb does have a ton of talent on their bench fwiw

and what i can tell you from a USA perspective, if you gave me the option of having one of : reus, malen, bynoe-gittens or Reyna.....I take reyna instantly without any second thought.

Bajoro, MayaDempsey and adi21 repped this.