They Needed a Minivan but Got a Gio: Reyna at Nottingham Forest (Olf Borussia Dortmund)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jond, Dec 6, 2017.

1. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    He’s just kind of meandering around with or without the ball.

Personally I don’t think speed matters very much in the role he should be playing, but the ball needs to come off of his foot quicker.

2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Are you telling me Oliver Baumann, a 33-year old goalkeeper, is faster than Gio?

3. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    He’s no speedster, but are we really talking about a top speed stat based upon just 129 minutes of play after returning from a broken leg?

4. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    That and he’s never really sprinting much out there anyway.

5. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, 129 minutes of league play is even lower than I thought. He usually comes in late when the game isn't as flat out hectic as the beginning. Could be situational.

FC Tallavana repped this.
  6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He could always play the Old Riquelme role, standing in place.

7. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Lol if it were touches in the box after 90 minutes would you be okay with it

Casper repped this.
  8. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    The problem here is that the speed stat matches the eye test reported by many here who watched a bunch of those 129 minutes, especially this weekend - if that were a youth player in an unlimited subs match, I would have yanked him for a conversation about increasing his work rate after just a few minutes of that. It seemed contagious among the team, but when you're the fresher-legged sub, you're supposed to help solve that problem, not exacerbate it.

ShayG and russ repped this.
  9. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so, Riquelme?

10. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The American Riquelme,as Eddie Lewis was the American Beckham.

MHaifa1913 and Hobo repped this.
  11. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I think touches in the box are more important to Pulisic's success than sprinting as fast as he can at least once every 129 minutes is to Reyna's success.

12. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    1. it was a funny joke, c'mon
    2. possibly so although being slow af certainly doesn't help in the modern game. also, having said you don't watch the games I don't think you are aware of how often the game appears to be played around him as a passenger in the minutes he's out there in a way that I didn't was the case prior.
    3. It is totally fair to point out 129 minutes is just not enough to know yet.

russ and TimB4Last repped this.
  13. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    https://www.thescore.com/seri/news/523296

Reyna is plenty fast enough to lead an attack in the middle of the pitch. He has been good enough to play wide as well. But either way, he is so skilled and reads the game so well that speed is not nearly as much of an issue for him as it is for someone like Pulisic.

14. MayaDempsey

MayaDempsey Member+

Jul 29, 2014
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Like everyone else, I have no idea what the issue is. I will say that Julian Brandt, like every other player, has looked significantly less sure of himself this year too. Could the entire team be struggling to adapt to the loss of Bellingham? He was such a huge presence.

15. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Has he? Higher per 90 goals and per 90 assists so far

16. MayaDempsey

MayaDempsey Member+

Jul 29, 2014
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    I guess not. Good for him, especially given the team being so off kilter. He doesn’t seem to be as omnipresent as he was last year, but my eyes obviously deceived me.

17. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You got it. I started on a similar post but gave up because I don't have the expertise to back up my hunch that his speed training is being sacrificed for "getting healthy enough to play so he can regain speed over time rather than pushing that aspect and risking a re-injury".

Ironically, he may end up a better physical specimen and soccer player for all his problems in the "growing up" stage of maturation.

Look at Tyler Adams who took a year off almost to recover from ad(ab?)ductor surgery. I thought he moved better with Leeds after the surgery than with Leipzig before the surgery and with no significant loss of speed that I could see.

I thought Timothy Weah added a lot of physicality to his game after hamstring surgery at Lille and I saw little change in speed.

Winoman repped this.
  18. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Not at all. The only thing that Lewis and Beckham had in common was that they could run really fast and sometimes sent in crosses.

On the other hand, Reyna is among the world's most talented attacking midfielders of his age group. I think he probably compares well to Riquelme at a similar age, minus the killer free kicks. But I'm not sure that a 21-year old and chronically injured version of Riquelme would start for a top Bundesliga club these days, either

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    There's a phrase in Spanish that has always stuck with me, because of how Baroque it is: "la pátina sofrosinaba sus recuerdos."

Sofrosinar is a very hard word to translate. In Ancient Greece, an esthetic concept was "sophorosyne," a sort of calm excellence of character that is a mix of beauty and temperance.

Pátina is, of course, just patina, the green copper oxides and carbonates that cover old brass.

The Spanish phrase basically means: "looking back into the past, the more distant the memory, the more excellent the person in it seems to be."

I suspect the patina is rising the level of excellence of Tyler Adams in our memories. He was good in defense, but with Leeds, he passed far too often to the back and to the sides, when he had better open lanes.

20. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sir,this is a Reyna thread.

ShayG, majspike and freisland repped this.
  21. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, certainly the older I get the better I was.

22. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I ain't as good as once was,but I'm as good once as I ever was..

RunthePoint, ChrisSSBB and Winoman repped this.
  23. MayaDempsey

MayaDempsey Member+

Jul 29, 2014
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Don’t let the old man in.

24. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For one, Tyler was very good at Leeds. No patina covering my brain to cloud that memory.

Secondly, it's tough to handle this fortune and fame... everyone's so different, I haven't changed!

Bajoro, RunthePoint and russ repped this.
  25. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I ate at Patina once after the opera. Or wast it Pannera after the beer pong. Or both. Probably both.

russ repped this.