Thesis topic related to Soccer?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Jerlon, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Jerlon

Jerlon Member

Aug 29, 2001
    Western NY
    Does anyone have an idea for my High School senior thesis? I would like it to be something related to soccer, whether it be related to MLS or anything else. Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. saml00

saml00 New Member

Nov 4, 2002
    What subject? History English? or anything?

3. saml00

saml00 New Member

Nov 4, 2002
    Cause you could definitely do something Business Law related with the Bosman Ruling

4. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some ideas -
    the SEM concept - fairness to players, fans, etc.
    soccer hooliganism, problems with baseball, football, etc.
    Is soccer overtaking any of the big four?
    FIFA/USSF charitible contributions
    The politics of soccer - choosing Germany over South africa for 2006.

Good Luck

5. rauld10

rauld10 Member

Dec 7, 2000
    Sarasota, FL
    What do you find interesting about soccer? Figure that point out and go from there. Cheers, David

6. Jerlon

Jerlon Member

Aug 29, 2001
    Western NY
    It is for an English class, but the topic can be anything. Any links on this Bosman ruling or info for me on what it is?

7. Jerlon

Jerlon Member

Aug 29, 2001
    Western NY
    Hooliganism

I'm beginning to think that hooliganism is the best route to take. But, what could I be proving about it? And, are there enough sources to write a descent paper?

Again, thanks.

8. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    Re: hooliganism.

There's a lot. Probably too much.

Off the top of my head, I can think of American writer Bill Buford's "Among the Thugs", Nick Hornby's "Fever Pitch" and a few other books you can find at, say, bigsoccer.com's store. Hooliganism in England itself was, as I'm sure you know, a huge problem until there were attempts to change the game's market (middle-class and family vs. working class) and the stadia (no more terraces, vastly improved security, etc.) I'm sure the English would hate to hear this, but it's become more Americanized.

They feel they have cleaned up the game incredibly. But during it's heyday, it was a topic that generated a great deal of scholarly writing in England. One I recall was a geography study that correlated pitch invasions with the selling off of clubs from communities to corporations and posed the theory that hooliganism was an attempt to regain the "territory" in the stadia when the club members (i.e., young toughs) realized they didn't own the clubs anymore.

There are still problems of course, especially outside of England -- Turkey, Africa, Argentina, etc. If I were you, I'd limit to a very particular segment of hooliganism -- comparing it to American sports, the demonization in the US media, the actions taken by the English to clean up the game, the nature of sectional fighting, etc. Buford's read is good, if dated, because it's actually about "mob mentality" as opposed to soccer. That's just the place where he could really experience it. Good luck.

9. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    So much has been written on hooliganism... 99% of it is ************ that is written by people who have a million phd's (or sumtin like that) in ************************ting all over the place but no clue when it comes to the topic at hand.

But it's the easiest way to go, definitely. I guess that's why so much BS has been written about it in the past :)

10. Jerlon

Jerlon Member

Aug 29, 2001
    Western NY
    I want to do something regarding the effect of hooliganism on the violent style of play. I was thinking of a thesis statement of;

“Hooliganism among soccer fans is a leading cause of violence in the game, and steps must be taken to make the game of soccer less violent.”

Anyone want to tweak this for me? Any help with other sources? Roy Keanes book might help. Anything else? Any information in a peer review journal?

Thanks

11. Jerlon

Jerlon Member

Aug 29, 2001
    Western NY
    What player was it that went to court for being involved in a bar scrap that was like a 10 on 1? Was it one of the Keanes?

Thanks

12. ColdCuts

ColdCuts Member

Jan 31, 2001
    Queens, NYC
    To be frank, that's a pretty shoddy thesis statement. Do you mean to suggest that violence on the field is the result of violence among fans?! I think that's simply not the case. Furthermore, few people would consider soccer an inherently violent sport--relatively speaking.

What soccer could REALLY use is some POSITIVE image management. American sports writers are constantly panning the game. Since you're a fan, why not be an ambassador for the game? You could PROMOTE soccer by writing a paper with a positive spin.

13. ColdCuts

ColdCuts Member

Jan 31, 2001
    Queens, NYC
    Good article. However, for Jerlon's purposes, I think it is important to point out that this article has little or nothing to do with soccer in the United States--an important distinction to make if you're writing a paper to be read by an American audience.

14. GreenDay

GreenDay New Member

Sep 15, 2001
    Estonia
    Same here. You are gonna find that extremely hard to prove because it isn't true.

15. Jerlon

Jerlon Member

Aug 29, 2001
    Western NY
    Hey guys. I deffinitley worded that way wrong, and I think I actually pasted like the first one I wrote out out of maybe 25 or so. I have them all saved at school, so I will get it tomorrow when I am back there. I deffinitley didn't mean to post that on pitch fights are caused by hooliganism. But still, does anyone have a good idea of what I should prove?

16. ColdCuts

ColdCuts Member

Jan 31, 2001
    Queens, NYC
    Jerlon, since your assignment allows you the freedom to write about whatever you'd like, make it easy on yourself--you don't have to necessarily "prove" anything!

Here are some ideas that I hope will help:

1. Consider what you enjoy most about soccer, then elaborate.

2. Compare and contrast, soccer vs (American) football.

3. In the US, soccer is the perennial 'next big thing'. Why, in your opinion, is this true and why does this never come to fruition?

4. Tell the story of how the USMNT shocked the world by reaching 2002 World Cup quarterfinals for the first time since the 1930 World Cup in Uruguay.

Good luck! :)

17. GreenDay

GreenDay New Member

Sep 15, 2001
    Estonia
    And to prove it you can quote Billie-Joe Redneck who said: "They have a World Cup for soccer??!!"

18. NCFire

NCFire Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Chapel Hill
    Its not really close to what others are saying but here are a few that wouldn't bury you with background and you could give a decent account of in 10-20 pgs

1. looking at how structural changes in the way US Soccer develops players (club,ODP, college vs P-40, Super Y, etc) affected the development of MLS and of the Nats program. Look at shifts in age breakdown, career trajectories of players, et al.

2. American soccer fan culture as a mixture of indigenous fans and Euro/latin immigrants. I didn't notice if you're near an MLS city but a study of membership and influence of 1 or 2 fan groups could be interesting in terms of cultural integration. Most of the guys at the heads of the fan clubs are on BS and would probably be at least a little willing to cooperate and help.

3. If you want to do something more closely related to English, you could do something contrasting the symbollic use of soccer in 2+ works of fiction. The obvious first that comes to mind is Nick Hornby's Fever Pitch. Maybe with that S. American book of poetry that came out recently and was excerpted in the December issue of Harpers' Monthly whose name escapes me...soccer as metaphor for life, relationship between fan and club proxy for father-son bond etc.

If you do choose the hooli topic, check out Gary Armstrong's (Sheffield lad and Anthropology PhD.) book Football Hooligans. Its the better of several academic accounts of Brit. hooly culture that I've read.
    Good luck

19. Werdguy

Werdguy New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    New York
    don't write about hooliganism

20. Jerlon

Jerlon Member

Aug 29, 2001
    Western NY
    So it looks like we aren't going to go towards hooliganism just because it would be tough to prove or pursuade people to believe something. <- that is my goal with this paper, to prove something. I wouldn't mind proving that with increasing youth soccer programs, the residency program and ODP, the olympic pool will increase, and we will have a better soccer team. But, where are solid sources that will help me?

21. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Don't use any sources. Odds are your teacher doesn't know anything about soccer. Cite yourself as a resource, use an extended vocab, and your teacher will hand you back the test saying the same thing the english teacher said in the movie "Orange County"

"Here you go Jerlon, Nice, way to go, great job, I noticed you used alot of big words, I didn't read the whole thing, but I gave you an A anyway"

22. negativetouch

negativetouch Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Compare and contrast NASL and MLS. Different periods in time, different cultural expectations, different business models, different short term results, different long term results (hopefully). Not very sexy but should be fairly easy to crank out.

Or, go local. Why is Rochester perceived as such a soccer city? Compare a microcosm to the US as a whole over a certain time period. If your teacher might not get soccer in general a regional connection might spur interest and you could do first person accounts which are more interesting for you and look much more impressive.

23. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Maybe violence on the field can incite agression on the stands (contributing to potential violence) but it's certainly not the other way around.

You might think of something about the way that football can make people ecstatic one day and make them fail to see any meaning in life the other.

But in your case, writting about MLS or US football (soccer) in general could be a good idea.

24. Jerlon

Jerlon Member

Aug 29, 2001
    Western NY
    New Thesis

“Major League Soccer, with the sport of soccer having the most growth among all sports in America in the last ten years, will within the next ten years overtake hockey as one of the “Major Four” professional sports leagues.”

How does this sound, I know the grammar and language needs some tweaking, but what do you guys think of this? I dont know for sure that it is the largest growing sport, but going from no pro league to a league, and everything else, it should be. Any good links to back this up for me?

Thanks