These nations could debut at the 2026 World Cup

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Kamtedrejt, Aug 5, 2023.

?

Who will qualify for the 2026 World Cup?

Poll closed Nov 5, 2023.
  1. Uzbekistan

66.7%
  2. Bahrain

13.3%
  3. Vietnam

6.7%
  4. Jordan

3.3%
  5. Burkina Faso

10.0%
  6. Cape Verde

13.3%
  7. Gabon

3.3%
  8. Gambia

6.7%
  9. Mali

33.3%
  10. Suriname

6.7%
  11. Venezuela

36.7%
  12. Finland

23.3%
  13. Oman

16.7%
  14. Zambia

10.0%
  15. Equatorial Guinea

3.3%
  16. Benin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Guatemala

23.3%
  18. Curaçao

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. Georgia

10.0%
  20. Albania

6.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. A Matter of Life & Death!

Werder Bremen
    Scotland
    Mar 16, 2024
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Thom Haye of Heerenveen.
    Played for Netherlands U17, U19, U20, U21 then got called up for
    Indonesia almost ten years since playing for Netherlands.

2. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed but CONCACAF won't get interesting for a long time. It has A LOT of teams most of which are minnows.... and then among the minnows there are minnows. Cuba vs Antigua is probably the only real question in the 2nd round. It won't get really fun until the 3rd round and that won't start until September of next year.

3. A Matter of Life & Death!

Werder Bremen
    Scotland
    Mar 16, 2024
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Hmm, I don't know, Curaçao has really good players (relatively speaking in the context
    of Concacaf) and are managed by the great Dutchman Dick Advocaat. Cuco Martina
    is a vastly experienced right-back defender and leader who has played in Holland and England's top leagues. It will be exciting to see who makes it from Concacaf to the World Cup. Jamaica have to be there, their players and fans would add so much to the carnival atmosphere that summer!

4. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Jamaica finally seem to be getting it right. They should have held on to beat the USA, and they were easily the better side against Panama (who many regard as the best concacaf team beyond the Big 3)

All this while missing a number of key players.

Coach Halmgerson looks like a man on a mission.

I know Jamaica is not a debut, but it will be good to see them back at the WC with a competitive side.

5. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    #430 Kamtedrejt, Mar 26, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2024
    I picked Suriname to make the intercontinental playoffs. I think this is the highest I could see them get in this cycle. They will be hopefully by 2030 in a position where a World Cup qualification looks much more feasible than now.

6. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    One of the reasons why Vietnam have fallen behind is exactly that. They don't have any dual nationals who can give them a boost in quality and depth. The main reason though is that their golden generation has aged and the new generation just isn't it. Then add the whole transition to a possession based style under Troussier etc....

Vietnam was never going to make a serious case for World Cup qualification in this cycle. And if you recall my ASEAN Ranking I had posted on this board after the Asian Cup I put Vietnam 3rd. What was at that time to many especially to you very debatable looks now pretty accurate.

7. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vietnam lost twice against Vietnam? Yeah, you know the situation is dire when you lose to yourself twice in a row :D Just kidding, I know you mean Indonesia. Ironically, this is 3 straight defeats to Indonesia if you include the Asian Cup match in January.... I also made a similar post earlier about where will the players come from for Vietnam? The VLeague is not that strong even by regional standards, with the Thai League probably being the dominant force there, and even the Malaysian and Indonesian league teams getting better now. So without the foreign imports it's basically just going to be local players from a relatively low-level league once the effects of the national youth team programs wear off....

8. Iran fan

Iran fan Member

Barcelona
    Iran
    Mar 30, 2022
    Yea but I liked that they kept it local. They managed to create a good defensive side, that made it out of their group at the Asian Cup 2019, and made it to the last round of World Cup Qualifiers 2022.
    Of course these type of teams live in cycles. They get a some good generations once in a while, and then they have to rebuild again. I just thought Vietnam had a couple of more years in Them.

9. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Mali 2 Nigeria 0

We only had 4 starters but still an impressive performance from the Malians who have continued where they left off at the afcon.

I'd say they are the best team in the world to have never qualified for a World Cup.

Their time will surely come in 2026.

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  10. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
  11. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If only they'd done that against Central African Republic couple of months back....

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I appreciate different opinions. To me Diaz right now for Colombia is playing about as great as any player on the planet.
    Vini is great for Real Madrid. For Brasil not as much.

It can change. But Diaz was great in the last Copa America tied for the most goals. This year he is even better.

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  13. Surinam really is busy recruting Dutch for the Natio.
    https://sportnieuws.nl/voetbal/nieu...18551043141/?referrer=https://duckduckgo.com/
    20:55, 01-04-2024 / Last update: 23:31, 01-04-2024
    Etienne Vaessen becomes international... of Suriname. And no, this is not an April Fool's joke. Vaessen can make his debut for Natio in June. That's because Vaessen is a quarter Surinamese. The goalkeeper of RKC has to compete with Warner Hahn, now goalkeeper at Kyoto Sanga in Japan.

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  14. Is there anybody who thinks it's unfair to countries in competition with Surinam and Curacao that don't have access to players developed by the Netherlands?

15. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Suriname and Curaçao have each won a total of one game all-time at the CONCACAF Gold Cup, so their competitors seem to manage all right.

Paul Calixte and Athlone repped this.
  16. Surinam and Curacao are just at the starting line of fishing in Dutch players, Indonesia has discovered that source too, with the advantage that about 1.5 million Dutch have roots with Indonesia.

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  17. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    If CAN does it, then why other Concacaf members should not do it?

Plenty of CAN MNT players were developed by soccer leagues outside of CAN, if you look at those who saw action in 2022 WC qualifiers.

18. I wasnot saying they shouldnot, but given the reputation of the Dutch clubs in development, how many nations of concacaf have the same quality level source?

19. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Jamaica is doing the same, and results are starting to pay off.

It's been going on in Africa for a while.

But even teams like Spain, Germany, Italy, who have won the world cup do it. Portugal does it.

It's just the way the world is these days.

Athlone repped this.
  20. Yeah, I'm an outlier in that respect.
    I consider the Orange Squad the flagship of Dutch football, it stands for our achievements as a football nation. So I only want to see in that shirt players, who were formed from the beginning by our Dutch football culture, our football identity.
    I even don't want Dutch players, who never set foot in our academies, how good they may be, to wear that shirt, with one exception.
    I consider the Barcelona academy as thoroughly Dutch oriented, so Dutch players from there have enough "Dutch football culture" imprinted to get my pass.
    Yeah, Spain recently couldnot wait to recrute an 18 yo Dutch talent, Dean Huijsen, by giving him a passport asap.
    He, by the way wouldnot pass my "Dutch identity" test, as he as a 5 yo kid moved to Spain and went through the Spanish development system, so I'm actually fine with it.
    I find it bizar however that a country like Spain, not only in this case, but also in the past, has to steep down to practices like this to fill selections with quality.
    I'm someone who accepts it when the national team has a "drought" in certain positions.
    I hate it if we would go down the path of recruting mercenaries.

r0adrunner repped this.
  21. Athlone

Athlone Member+

Feb 2, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Jamaica (UK ties), Canada, USA, Mexico, Haiti (French ties) all at a minimum have the capacity to match that talent pool. Panama, Costa Rica and Honduras all have historically produced enough domestically to be able to compete with the bigger fish in the region (USA, Canada, Mexico), and so should be able to hold up against Curacao and Suriname with reinforcements. Even the smaller Caribbean islands have access to the English diaspora. The DR is tapping deeper into its Spanish and American diasporas.

Really, all this does is allow Curacao and Suriname to step up a level and possible compete more evenly with nations like El Savador, Honduras, Jamaica, Haiti, etc. But these Dutch recruits aren't some sort of superweapon that gives them an unfair edge in the region. The recruits are solid, and enhance those sides, but they're not well above the talent level maintained by the current best 8-10 teams in the region.

I imagine it'll be the same with Indonesia - they'll find some decent Dutch 1st or 2nd tier professionals and upgrade their side, but that's not about to catapult them beyond the level of the better 10-12 sides in Asia. That might get them to the top of ASEAN, which is a big step up, but they won't be some super power in Asia off that. They'll merely become competitive.

I'd same the same about the Filipinos who are also making a really strong recruiting push in Europe and the USA.

This is a luxury view that only great football powers like Oranje can afford to maintain. The Surinamese, with far less in the way of financial resources, prestige/history, and population, have to get a bit more creative than that, especially when half of them don't even live in Suriname.

Iran fan, Paul Calixte and vancity eagle repped this.
  22. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    I will keep from now on an eye on Comoros
    I checked out some extensive footage of them

Comoros might be the most underrated team in CAF at the minute

A tiny nation with a population of just 836K

Ranked 117th by FIFA and 137th by ELO respectively

Currently top of Group I of CAF WCQ with 6 points

And it's not a fluke

Comoros are a gritty side with compact shape, swift, dangerous in transition and good ability to play in tight spaces

In March they made light work of Uganda (4-0 win) and played Angola to a respectable 0-0 draw and they showed quality in these games

Already ranked pretty high be my in 90th I'll promote Comoros to my top 80 in my upcoming ranking

That is remarkable and new ground for this tiny nation

As far as I'm concerned Comoros can and should aim to reach the CAF playoffs for the 2026 World Cup

23. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    My rankings have Comoros at #79

They are definately much better than FIFA and ELO have them.

They just have a tough group with Mali and Ghana, their current lead , I'm not sure how long it will last .

But they are probably the most improved team in CAF over the past 2 years. They've tapped into a large diaspora of players in France.

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  24. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    #450 Kamtedrejt, Apr 5, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2024
    Ghana brought back Otto Addo. He doesn't have a coaching licence from what I know but he did fairly well with Ghana at the 2022 World Cup. Interested to see how that move pans out for Ghana. At the moment I give the clear edge to Mali in that group. Comoros have improved so much (and Ghana have declined so much) that I see them basically on equal battle field with Ghana. I legitimately think that Comoros can finish above Ghana if they keep it up. It would be phenomenal to see them among the four nations to play in the CAF playoffs.

Whoever survives the CAF playoffs will have a solid shot at qualifying via the intercontinental playoffs.

vancity eagle repped this.