There might ba a team in Philidelphia. What should it's name be?

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by shibbyskate098, Jul 1, 2003.

1. shibbyskate098

shibbyskate098 New Member

Jul 1, 2003
    LA
    I hear talk that there thinking of bringing a MLS team to Philidelphia. It's name should be either The Philidelphia Mutiny or The Philidelphia Fusion. It can be a team brought back to life.

2. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm impressed by your stupidity.

3. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    Easy now. No need to be so snarky toward the newbie.

For my part, I'd suggest the Philadelphia Atoms with the Fury's colors, which I'm told were identical to Roma. Or if they're owned by Jeffrey Lurie: the Philadelphia Talons with the Eagles' colors.

4. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Newbie or not, the idea of driving the dead horse into the ground with those names is frivilous and stupid. The Atoms I like because of tradition.

5. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    Well since he posted the same suggestions in the Houston thread, I think it's a little joke.

6. Steve Holroyd

Steve Holroyd New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seconded.

www.philadelphiaatoms.com

7. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    mods can you merge this into the philadelphia expansion thread as this is already being discussed there thanks...

(i haven't bumped it in a while, i know...)

8. MarlinS

MarlinS New Member

Apr 20, 2003
    San Antonio
    The Philidelphia Experiment.

9. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    The Philidelphia Arsenal.

10. CaliforniaKid

CaliforniaKid New Member

Philadelphia Colonials

11. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Circle gets the square. I like this one a lot.

12. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Philly Pens.

Bic can be their shirt sponsor.

13. railguitar

railguitar New Member

Sep 23, 1999
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Why limit names to Philly?

Why not use a little more flexibility than insist on "Philadelphia _______s?"

Keystone FC
    Keystone State Rangers
    The Pennsy FC
    The Pennsy Express
    Ben Franklin FC
    Penn's Forest FC (oops, there already is one.)
    Penn's Woodsmen
    Schuylkill Skunks
    Pennsylvania Pokers (at first I thought of polkas)

14. Der Kaiser

Der Kaiser Member

Jul 30, 1999
    Philly Gunners ( a nod to arsenal). Ties in to american revolution. Or better yet Pennsylvania Rifle (after the regiment). Well in these P.C. times both probably won't fly. and i bet Atoms probably wouldn't as well. I'm sure Nike will come up with great name...not.

15. UW2005

UW2005 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Nantes
    I would like to make one thing clear. Philadelphians don't like their 'brothers' from Pittsburgh. Two completely different cultures. Therefore, anything that has to do with Pennsylvania... needs to be thrown out. I don't really have a suggestion for a name, but for colors. I think the team should represent something about the city. Red, white, and blue is probably out because of the Revs. I propose a light blue and yellow combination for two reasons: 1) the colors of the city flag are light blue and yellow (imagine UCLA or the Nuggets' new stuff only not as shiny), 2) ENOUGH WITH THE BLACK!!! As I remember the only teams w/o black are the Fire, the Revs, and the Galaxy. Time for some new ideas.

16. Kaiser

Kaiser New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    dark side of the moo
    i like Ben Franklin SC, I've suggested that in one of the other similar threads long time ago.

I like the Maroon and Orange color scheme.

Too bad the stupid girls league stole Freedom, that's perfect. Philadelphia Freedom. Maybe it would inspire Sir Elton to have an interest in MLS as an investor.

17. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So long as he lasts longer than Frampton.

Founders F.C.

Freedom is cool. Maybe Uncle Phil can buy WUSA after they go Chapter 11 and change the chicks' team to the Liberty Belles.

18. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry that I don't know more about the Philly Atoms but I wasn't around during the old NASL. I must say that the Atoms will be the most ridiculed name in professional sports if it is used. It will be even worse than the Fusion or some such name. I've got to go for a traditional soccer name like Philly Gunners suggested earlier. Something a little more typical in the soccer world.

19. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    No, Galaxy, Crew, Clash, Wiz, Mutiny, Burn, Revolution, et al, are the most ridiculed names in professional sports. Atoms, on the other hand, is a good name for an American team, just like Aston Villa is a good name for a British team.

BTW, I vote for Atoms, with the original Atoms colors (blue and white). Maroon and yellow make my tummy hurt :D.

20. Football Ronin

May 13, 2002
    Oregon, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was also a Philadelphia Fury in the NASL. That is a decent name that also has tradition.

21. Professor B

Professor B Member

Oct 13, 2000
    Grundy, VA
    I've always leaned towards Philadelphia Soccer Club, or just PSC. And perhaps you could have a "nickname" to go with it (Talons, Gunners, Dragons, whatever).

As for colors, I'd go with green and orange. I know it seems a bit of a strange color combo, but I think it could work. One uniform would be primarily green (similar in shade to the Eagles) with orange piping or highlights. The other would be primarily orange (like Holland), with a touch of green. But I think having the two colors together in equal amounts should be avoided. It would be a fairly unique color scheme, and certainly unique within MLS.

But I don't really expect anyone to agree with me! I guess I'll just have to become a billionaire and become the Philly investor.

Professor B

22. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    Sounds fine by me. Just as long as you always sell the club by its nickname. On player contracts and official intra-club documents, it could be the "Philadelphia Major League Soccer Club," but in press releases it would be the "Philadelphia Whathaveyous."

And no Freedom please. In the future, let's leave the singular names to the ladies.

23. Steve Holroyd

Steve Holroyd New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great logo, too. But the "tradition" was one of ineptitude and incompetence. Atoms at least had a title, some popular players, etc.

www.philadelphiaatoms.com

BTW--WUSA would have little to do with stopping a men's team from being named Philadelphia Freedom. But the local World Team Tennis team of the same name might gripe. As would the Lower Merion Soccer Club, which still has the trademark to "Philadelphia Freedom," the name of a D3 team from 5 years back.

24. Sober Tom

Sober Tom Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Glassboro, South Jer
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

philadelphia independents/independientes

25. DaMunk

DaMunk Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Philadelphia/STX
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    US Virgin Islands
    PSC is already a well established youth club in Philly. They are one of the few clubs actually IN the city.