There is so much irrational MLS hating among europeans (and eurosnobs) regarding MLS

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by pokemoncards, Apr 13, 2006.

1. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Re: There is so much irrational MLS hating among europeans (and eurosnobs) regarding

Why would you think people would support something they don't like? Soccer charity?

And to your other point. These owners know their leagues regular season is meaningless. They have known it for years and have don't next to nothing to remedy that. ALMOST NOTHING. This isn't a sign that they want to improve their product to me. It's more of a sign that they are neglecting it IMHO.

Just because you and I want to invest our money in soccers future, doesn't mean we are in the majority.

Sirius Radio is in a similar position. They need to sell radios and get customers signed up at 12 bucks a month. The more people that buy into this concept the more money they'll have to provide good programming.

They put together a great product. Tons of commercial free music. Lots of talk stations. Information stuff like weather and news. Sports. Howard. You name and it is there. Their business is growing. At the beginning of the year they had about 3 million radios out there, now they have over 4 million. They provide a service that people like and word is getting out.

MLS on the other hand has had the same attendance for about 9 years now. There is no growth in this area to speak of. Sirius put together a product that appeals, MLS has not.

You have to give fans a reason to give MLS a chance, not just expect them to poney up so some day Garber might get around to making this league interesting to watch. It doesn't work like that.

If they put a little effort into putting better programming out there, more people would watch.

2. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    personally I am a bit worried that we do better at soccer than the rest of the world. I mean, what else would there be for the rest of the world to hate us about?

3. ukREVSfan

ukREVSfan New Member

Mar 30, 2006
    UK
    Re: There is so much irrational MLS hating among europeans (and eurosnobs) regarding

i'm an english guy who is interested in MLS, because;

* The EPL is becoming very predictable (the top half anyway)
    * I am embarresed of english fan behaviour whenever the national team or any club team plays abroad.
    *MLS is different, because of sal. caps, drafts and international restrictions - IMO its a new refreshing twist on the business of soccer.
    *no where on english tv does a guy shout repeatedly "its in the net!" or "score!"

i'm anti eurosnob:p

4. Nodak

Nodak New Member

Feb 28, 2005

That's is the funniest thing I've read in weeks.

Seriously though the broadcasts that ESPN give MLS are horrifying to the ears. I find myself hollering at the t.v. for the comments about Donavon great new house bla! bla! bla! When the fucHing game is going on or put the camera on the side kick reporter on the sidelines, Good God I blame MLS for this. ESPN doesn't screw up Champions League broadcasts.
    Why? for fuchs sake. My Euro league loving brother runs from watching these games. If I wasn't feeling so patriotic about my league I'd join him.

OK maybe I'm just a D.C. United fan.:D

5. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm not at all concerned about Europeans not posting nice things about MLS. As RichardL said, most of them don't care, and that's all well and good. It does, however, bother me when the very first comment posted for that video was a juvenile put-down of MLS. Somehow I don't think it would be the case if the highlights came from any other league.

6. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    This thread is another classic example of spazzo insecurity. How on earth can people get so bent out of shape by a few juvenile comments on an Internet message board?

7. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I love the comment about the ref "holding up his hands signalling for a touchdown."

That's classic.

8. I PINCH!

I PINCH! Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Chicago IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ummm arent most goals scored in the world a result of a combination of great shooting which in turn causes the goal keeper to make a mistake in judgement leading to a score??

The extent of being a keeper is either you make the save and do you your job, or make an error like every single goal keeper in the world does leading to a goal scored on you.

This babbling about MLS goalkeepers being the only ones to have alot to be desired is kind of illogical dont you think??

The US national team has arguably the best pool of goal keepers in the world, who all started to ply their trade in MLS.

9. krayzie

krayzie BigSoccer Yellow Card

Dec 13, 2003
    Paris, France

You know this is this kind of statement that create some much hatred...

After the huge Tim Howard's downfall, you still manage to say "we have the best pool of goal keepers in the world..."

And after that americans dont understand why the rest of the world doesn't take you seriously

10. REMOVED

REMOVED New Member

Jul 22, 2004
    I have spent thousands of dollars on Fire tickets this year and I do consider it CHARITY for US soccer. The current quality exhibited this year has been horrendous. I have exhausted all possible answers to my eurosnob friends. They think the MLS is a joke. How do you respond after watching the first 12 games?

11. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia

Not to be a slight on Americans themselves, but appears there appears to be large percentage of American posters on these boards - who for a lesser phrase ‘are easy to wind-up.’ You really aren’t doing your fellow countrymen a great service here.

Whilst, I’ll take a pot at MLS to jibe at these idiots who foam at the mouth and gesticulate all kinds of colourful clichés - I probably don’t mean a word of it. I’ve followed MLS from Jaime Moreno going to DC after leaving Boro, to the ill gotten gains of the Munity until their timely demise. But I do love to see them get all excited. Its pretty funny to see some people go loose on a tangent on their very own agenda, whilst making an asshat of themselves.

Any sane and a rational football fan in Europe doesn’t have any real negatives views on the MLS - they simply don’t even know it exists. As Richard so eloquently put it, banter is part of the culture over here, and people will commonly slag off other leagues with the exact same warped barrage of clichés and stereotypes most of the people who missed the point have been posting here.

Its got nothing to with respect or an abhorrent fear of the league growing. Most fans in Europe couldn’t give a shit, and its more to do with general apathy than any anti-American sentiment that somehow transgresses the political field and into the sporting one. Anything to do with America as a nation is more to do with banter and less to do with some form of xenophobia that hardly exists in world football today amongst fans beyond the realms of piss-taking.

For everyone who reads into this mentality and for any poster who believes that most fans in Europe think this way are kidding themselves. For any rabid response of some worldwide conspiracy, it doesn’t do such much as dispel the myths of MLS but only perturb them even further by these naïve responses.

Needless to say, I do feel sorry for a lot of the guys on here, who do realise it’s a bit of joke and some general windups. I also feel hugely sorry that they have to be associated with people who can’t see anything beyond the black and white and will massively create up a story of epic proportions to somehow avoid their own sense of humour and failings on basic comprehension outside the box.

This thread is basically a shining light for a spectrum of MLS fans who have missed the point or are simply spending too much time on what others think about them. Especially when its supposed to garnish the type of responses we have seen on offer here.

Pure trolling in its finest form.

And it was taken from youtube for god’s sake. I can’t believe how idiotic and irrational some people are.

God, I just love irony.

12. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC

And with that thought. Good night folks. Don't forget to tip your waitresses.

13. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London

Hardly. Supporting a foreign club and MLS are hardly mutually exclusive - most MLS fans probably watch the Premiership or another league as well - and if you go back long enough, there are fans who were supporting a foreign team before MLS even existed. I've known people who were English football fans several years before MLS existed, because English/European soccer has been on US TV on some level since the late 1980s. Plus, there's the simple fact that for a huge portion of America, their MLS club is not local in any sense of the word.

14. paladius

paladius Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Frisco, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You nailed it. Frankly, I could care less what they think across the pond, but I will also tell you that I have tried watching their "superior" game on tv many, many times, and I don't find it all that much more appealing, except for the fans singing, which I think is awesome.

The eurosnobs need to shut the hell up and let us enjoy our entertaining brand of soccer. They hate single entity, and you want to know why? They are jealous of our parity, and the fact that in our league, each team actually has a prayer of making it to the top of the heap.

Sure, they can poke fun at a sub-par game by Red Bull, but guess what? Red Bull will be improving dramatically this season, and so will Chivas (they already have!). The first week in MLS was some of the most entertaining soccer on the planet, and we in America shouldn't apologize for it. I take pride in the fact that we would never create something as negative as the cattenacio defense, so in my mind, the europeans have a thing or two to learn from us. And by the way, has anyone noticed how our boys are flourishing in a host of european clubs? Many of these guys had much less success while in MLS, even though it's the "inferior" league.

I say, when the euros are willing to bring their game over here and bring their top name talent, committing to seriously try to win, then let's see how they do against DC, New England, and Dallas during the prime of our season, instead of our preseason. At the very least, we'll be competitive.

Last, yes they resent the hell out of us being ranked number 6, I believe. This is supposed to be their game. Over the last 10 or so years, we've beaten most of the top teams (Portugal and Germany, among others), tied Brazil, and have shown that we can't be intimidated. I love the way The Bruce gets our guys mentally prepared for the Cup. The Czechs had better beware of the sleeping giant, and so had the Azzuri! Do they realize we have the fastest damn attack on the planet when we get Fast Eddie, Landon, DMB and Wolff on the pitch at the same time? Good luck catching our guys as they run through your defenses! Don't tread on us!

15. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT

By lifelong supporter you mean:

A) Ex-pat
    B) Gloryhunter who stuck around

16. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    again, why do those who claim they could(n't) care less about what people in Europe think seem so obsessed by it?

It really really doesn't matter what Europeans think about MLS, because it's not their non-attendance that's harmful to the league.

And as I said, they don't think MLS is crap, they just don't think about it at all.

if you are on about europeans, then how are they stopping you enjoying it? They aren't talking about the league, so they can hardly shut up more than they are already, so unless your tin-foil hat is being bombarded with waves of extreme apathy, I can't see the problem.

Go to Europe. Mention "Single Entity". Try to find anyone who has the remotest clue what you are talking about.

who is jealous? Europeans? No, we couldn't give a toss. Sorry. We'd struggle to name more than a few clubs on the whole, and wouldn't know who's won the league or be aware of how much parity there is. In fairness, we'd be unlikely to know who's top dog in any of the middling European leagues either.

If you mean American gloryhunters, then no, they aren't going to be jealous either. If they support Man Utd or Barcelona or Juventus etc, then they aren't going to be wishing that Charlton or Cadiz or Empoli had as much chance of winning as their team.

again, if you are talking about Europeans, they aren't watching the games. They don't know, or care, about how well or badly individual MLS teams are doing.

If it's Americans, they you get exactly the same attitude among gloryhunters here too, who try to justify their fixation by making out they are some kind of football purist who only wants to see the game at the highest level. They are a lost cause.

who's asking you to?

Well it took the Italians around 50 years to invent it, and it didn't exactly catch on, so it's hardly typical.

Are you saying, hand on heart that no MLS team has used negative tactics?

how many would be average players in MLS?

The top european sides have nothing to prove. Where's the incentive for them to come over and have some kind of showdown? I know fans there have some kind of burning desire to see how they'd match up, but it's not reciprocated.

Besides, currently they come over during their pre-season, not yours. Yes, I'm sure you would be competitive with a lot of teams, but being competitive doesn't mean "nearly as good as". Look at Sunderland - they rarely seem to lose by more than the odd goal. In that sense they are "competitive", but if you look at the league table it tells a different story. Hopefully there are MLS teams better than Sunderland, but to be genuinely competitive by premiership standards they you have to be able to win about 1 game in 3, not just keep the scoreline close.

And no, against the top teams, playing full on to win, you'd find it very hard. If you look at the talent at the top clubs, they are just far better

FIFA rankings have never been held in much regard over here. For the last couple of decades Mexico have always been around 6th place despite being a dictionary definition of mediocre for the entire period. At no time did anyone get annoyed about Mexico being 6th in the world. It was just regarded as a quirk of the system, much as the US ranking is now.

No, it's been the world's game for a heck of along time now. Who knows, some people have even suggested that maybe a south american team will win the world cup before too long.

You'd be a lot happier if you got past the idea that europeans are going out of their way to "tread" on the US. They aren't. Really. Try to actually find some comments by actual europeans in europe to get offended by, rather than assuming their thoughts and getting offended by your own assumptions.

17. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    [​IMG]

It was (is) a great album, no question about it......

......but the insecurity wrapped up in this motto is getting very laughable.
    Wow! You know every single attack out there...? :rolleyes:

Take a look in the mirror the next time you cry about ignorant overstatements.

18. REMOVED

REMOVED New Member

Jul 22, 2004
    There is a lot of irrational hating and I am guilty sometimes. The highest transfer fee went to Essien. But he has NOTHING on LD if you have watched play for Chelsea. Does that mean LD's transfer fee to Chelsea should be 50 million pounds?

19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Even if your statement has a shred of truth to it (which it doesn't), Essien's transfer price to Chelsea was decided (duh) BEFORE he joined Chelsea. :rolleyes:

20. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As cooler heads have pointed out, the major feeling of Europeans towards MLS is indifference.

What I find irrational is the outright hatred of soccer by many American sports fans and members of the sports media. Can you name any other sport where if you try to talk about it, the response is outright hostility?

21. jlasoon

jlasoon Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Orlando, FL

Hockey

22. krayzie

krayzie BigSoccer Yellow Card

Dec 13, 2003
    Paris, France
    Essien for what he does is far better than LD... sorry

23. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    The continued potshots about how Americans can't play soccer, the potshots about the use of the term "soccer" itself, etc, etc are tedious and real.

But you do realize how English people talk about the Germans and the French, right?

You do realize the crap that the French talk about.... well everyone?

Yeah, there is a knee-jerk reaction that Americans suck at soccer and nitwits on the internet will always bring it up. Someone, who clearly thinks it's an original thought, will always bring up "soccer" or "sawker".

But the bottom line is... so?

Is it dumb and irrational? Sure. Couldn't agree more. I'm not against calling it out-- and I've done so in the past, but you've got to realize that it's the same sort of knee jerk reaction that people everywhere face from dumbasses in other countries.

24. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR

I don't see how Europeans can give a care about this league...why watch an inferior brand when you have a better league and a better location... :confused:

25. Kev_In

Kev_In New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Middlesbrough UK

I wouldn't let it bother you all too much. I'm from England and will gladly admit that a lot of English football fans are absolute idiots, who're only ever interested in their own league, or even worse their own team. Occassionally, you get a more cultured fan who might watch a bit of the Spanish league or the Italian league, but on the whole nobody's interested. Especially where England is concerned, there's always a pretty "English attitude" to football, there's constant debate about those "Diving French b*stards", the "F*cking Spaniard's rolling around like they've been shot" etc, so I wouldn't take it as a personal attack on the American league, because it essentially happens to every league.