There but for the grace of Arsene...

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by dwinkler, Nov 9, 2003.

1. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    http://www.hamhigh.co.uk/archived/2003/1107/sport/asp/arsenal.asp

Alex Fynn, quoted in this story, makes the point that the most significant difference between Arsenal and Sp*rs right now is the manager. I agree with that about 85% - David Dein is underrated, I think.

I also agree with the implied message in this story which is that, contrary to what I expect most fans would say, the manager *is* actually bigger than the club. Earlier this week, Wenger was accused of "taking the piss" when he pointed out that Arsenal and Tottenham have similar resources. Take it however you will - Arsene was either being self-congratulatory, or he was saying Sp*rs are chronic underachievers.

I've already done a minor analysis of what the Bruce Rioch era might have looked like for the Gunners (needless to say it wasn't pretty). Just think for a minute - would most of us be here had Wenger been hired by Sp*rs?

2. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's absolutely the case that we would probably be in a worse state if Wenger had decided not to take the manager's job. But to me the whole article is just stating the bleedin obvious. When a club isn't doing so well it takes a great manager (or a Russian billionaire) to turn it around. United under-achieved for years before Ferguson turned them around, they've always had great resources, but a succession of managers weren't able to turn that into a championship success until he came along. George Graham took an Arsenal team that hadn't won a championship for nearly twenty years and rebuilt the side into a unit that went on to league, cup and European success.

3. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    I don't think Wenger was patting himself on the back. I think he was just stating the obvious.

And you're spot on, Dan, about what the state of the club might be had we gone with a "traditional" manager. Even the most die-hard mancs and scousers would have to grudgingly admit that Wenger makes a HUGE difference. He has completely changed the culture of Arsenal, yet he is open minded enough to let the older players continue on with whatever program they have been using, should they feel it works better for them. The funny thing is, a guy like Tony Adams was eventually won over by Wenger's new approach and bought into it 100%.

AW is an expert at getting talent for under value, and getting the most out of players. Henry was considered something of a bust at Juventus, Viera, while talented, was not nearly as highly thought of as he is today, and who had ever even heard of Toure before AW got him? His mere association with players makes them more attractive to their national sides, especially since he seems to be able to tell what a players natural position is, and puts the player in spots to take advantage of their natural gifts (Wiltord notwithstanding, although Wenger has run him out wide quite a few times). Now his reputation for making players the best they possibly can be has younger players actually looking to go to Arsenal. Do you think any player with Barca, much less a prodigiously talented one like Cesc, would leave one of the biggest clubs in Europe to come to London if anyone else was in charge?

Having said all this, I only pray the new stadium financing comes through soon so that the purse strings get loosened a bit because Wenger certainly seems to be chaffing a bit at the fiscal restraint that Highbury has placed him under. Best case scenario: Ashburton Grove goes through, Wenger wins his CL title in 2006 or '07, and only then does he leave to coach the French national side. I honestly believe that once he has won a CL title he will be gone sooner rather than later as the challenge will be gone, and he can only carve his name amongst the all-time greats by coaching a World Cup winning side. Better yet, the US hires him to coach OUR NT. Now that would be a coaching coup: win every club competition in Europe, then win a World Cup with the US. AW does that and he's looked at as the greatest manager ever.

4. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wenger knows!

He has brought a professional and family atmosphere to the club. A club reflects the attitude and style of it's manager. Arsene is a serious and fierce competitor. Some people are natural leaders and others just don't have it in them..take Hoddle for example. I have heard that he was a great player, but as we all saw a lousy manager.

Arsene will forever be a part of The Arsenal FC lore because of his mystique, competitiveness, scouting, club preparation, and power to motivate his club to greatness. AND I would still take him over any other manager in the league, if I had a choice to swap.

5. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    I guess that means that when AW and the French contingent move on, so will you?

Curious? You've made 2 attacks on Rayzer following articles in praise and yet your handle is "Arsene knows". But clearly Arsene doesn't know; doesn't know that Mr Parlour is crap! Because he surely wouldn't make him HIS teams captain in the absence of PV4 if he thought he was crap, would he?

6. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Actually Keown was wearing the captain's armband when Viera first went out. Now that he is out, too, Razor makes sense as he has been at Arsenal longer than any other current player, correct?

7. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Re: Re: There but for the grace of Arsene...

I absolutely won't move on - I'm hooked! But I doubt I would have been had Rioch stayed on.

As far as "Arsene Knows," I don't really take it literally, I think of it as more a Zen-like approach to his management. Maybe "In Arsene We Trust" would be a better motto, but that's a little too close to blasphemy, even for me. Certainly there will be the odd disagreement with personnel moves or tactical decisions - how could there not be? - but, in general, it's a peace of mind I have knowing the club is in great hands.

8. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dan, I was about to say that your member status line says it all. It is why, when all the other clubs go on spending sprees in the off-season and our manager sits back and picks up a keeper and nothing else, we do not worry. Everything will be all right, and we really don't have anything to worry about because "Arsene knows." He is a brilliant manager (I think even the most die-hard Manc will admit that), and one of the best the game has ever seen. He transformed the AFC from a club that played ugly, ugly football and regularly broke the hearts of her supporters (footie clubs are like ships in the "she" respect, right?) into one that plays beautiful, elegant and, above all else, winning football. Wenger is a top-notch manager, and I have, and will continue to have faith in him. And I won't move on either. OPArsenal is here with the club to stay, come hell, high water, relegation or a Sperz Double.

9. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    Masterly response Sir Dwinkler. I've just put a hat on so that I can take it off to you!

Come on you Gunners!!!

10. Azabache

Azabache Member

Nov 22, 1998
    Essex Co.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well said. I'm an Islanders, Sixers and Mets fan, and even if AW and the Franks brought me into the fold, there's no moving on from the Arsenal for me either.
    Arsene knows more than George ever did.

11. naggi

naggi Member

Feb 15, 2002
    san francisco
    Another reason why we don't worry is that Arsene continues to improve his players in fitness and technical skills (yes, even Ray Parlour). Rayzor has been on my *#*#*#*#*#list for over 5 years now because he got caught in possession twice in one game by Keane which led to 2 ManUre goals, allowing them to beat us 1-2 at Highbury. His mistakes are not nearly as disastrous anymore, knock on wood. But I digress...

The main point I wanted to add is to give Arsene more credit for improving even Henry year after year. Much of that has to be down to Titi, but it is interesting how quickly he has moved past the Van Nistelrooy v. Henry debate of last year. I don't think that anyone, except perhaps old red nose himself, would dispute that Henry is a more complete, exciting and better striker. His play this year has been a level above even last year's. In addition, he has not been booked once this year, where as last year he was prone to lapses of concentration and a bit of moaning. Credit must go to the boss for motivating even his most accomplished player to reach for more.

12. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    Longevity has never been the main test for the armband. How ridiculously young was TA6 when GG handed it over?

13. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    George done better in Europe?

14. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Longevity is not a consideration for a captain, I agree, but what we are talking about here is a replacement captain. Last year when PV4 was out it was Seaman. I'm just saying that Wenger's pattern in naming a replacement seems to lean heavily towards English players who have been with the club the longest.

15. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC