Then God said to Abraham...

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by BenReilly, Jul 6, 2005.

1. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/07/06/MNGANDJFVK1.DTL&type=printableL

2. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    I think the main point they missed is that religious folk, whether it's Muslims or Jews who get circumcised usually are less promiscous, thus have less chance of contracting AIDS. Not because they are circumcised, but because they practice restraint :eek:

3. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You realize, of course, that zillions of baby boys are circumcised for reasons that have exactly NOTHING to do with religion and everything to do with health?

4. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Of course, but that was not the point of the article or my point. My point is that circumcision can't be the sole reason for stoping AIDS, and the reason why it works for many circumcised folks is because many of them are somewhat religious and practice restraint.
    Also, the foreskin is actually full of white cells, which in reality would fight HIV much better than when without it

5. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Translation: odessit19 didn't read the article I posted.

6. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Yes, I did. Why don't you post what you think, don't just post the article. C'mon Ben, do I need to get IM involved?

7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Sounds like He knows what He's talking about. Interesting. What else did that God of Abraham say?

8. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Damn, wrong thread.

9. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I think that given some of the women I slept with in the 80s and early 90s, what would have to have been the worst day of my life might have saved my life.

10. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    HE was against outsourcing.

11. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    I guess, congrats, and maybe you can help the other unfortunate lost souls and help them convert to Judaism ;)

12. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The article says the trials were rigorously controlled. While I haven't seen a detailed report, I'm damn near certain such controls would exclude a confound as obvious as this. There's very little chance the study would get past a funding review with that kind of design flaw.

13. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What about when He recruited Ruth, the Moabite?

:D

14. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    It's a lot less painful to join team Israel if you're a woman.

In case anyone jumps in here and metions some notable examples of actual outsourcing from the Bible, I am just kidding, this refers to a debate I had with ASF in another thread.

15. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Back to the original topic, I give credit to God. It sounds like circumcision is a very good thing for preventing AIDS. But isn't a condom less painful and more effective?

16. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Obviously, everyone should use a condom, but in the real world many do not for obvious reasons.

17. CosmosKramer

CosmosKramer Member

Sep 24, 2000
    Yokohama
    Club:
    Yokohama F Marinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And also FYI...

Well, God did not say to do this - so it's not the same thing :rolleyes: , however, I'm fairly certain, that, if you are a woman, you will most likely NOT get breast cancer if you elect to have both of your breasts lopped off at an early age.

18. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    I heard a discussion of this article on the radio coming home this evening. The host quoted another newspaper which also referenced a very strong connection between promiscuity and HIV. duh! I didn't see all that much devoted to that very obvious point in the SF Chron version.

This reminds me a something a HS XC coach told me a while back. He had gone to Kenya to study their distance running techniques. During the 6 weeks he was there he was amazed at the amount of promiscuity, particularly among the men. He related a couple of conversation with locals who just said "it goes on all the time." Virtually no medical awareness at all. Just "Feels Good Go It." Sad.

19. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Maybe you've found a use for foreskin that escapes me.

20. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If this is God's reason for having circumcision, then it means that people were getting painful surgery for thousands of years for nothing. Wouldn't it have been a greater miracle if the Bible said something like "Lo, and in the year of the dude claiming to be my son 1950, I command my special people to start cutting off the ends of their dicks to somewhat lessen the chance of getting a horrible disease I will unleash on the world"?

21. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    It's not just aids, rates of uterus cancer are much lower in societies which practice circumcision.

I would think urine gets stuck in the foreskin which can cause infections.

Not necessarily the worst day, but it’s my earliest clear memory. Man was I screaming.

It doesn’t do much for me though. Not wanting kids, you still have to use the plastic. Can’t trust anyone.

22. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still trying to figure out why the intitial post lead with the religion angle, or brought it up at all. This is an extremely interesting study with very interesting implications. Why we can't just discuss the science, without being whopped upside the head with God talk mystifies me.

Maybe Ben was just goofin'...

23. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    And people wonder why I'm an atheist?

24. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    I didn't think disagreeing with the rules can make you an atheist, eh? :)

25. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Who DOES get good dental anymore?