Theirry Henry snubs Man City for New York...

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Che chico!, Oct 17, 2009.

1. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    If I remember pretty good at the bigining of the year around Febrerry or March when I was critizing Osoryyyyyio you say that was a good idea not to spend money in a second DP as a CAM like he say, that was better hire three or four mediocree players for 100K because they will serve the team much better than one million dollars player...

This time I agree with you, yes, we need a CAM, but that isn't only what we need, if we make a list of what we need you will have to add to the list: 4 defenders all the line complete, a CAM, a Defense Midfielder, a Left Winger and much, much more....We have to be decent with our self, the defenders we have aren't good even as reserve players no one of them, I mean no one, all of them are mediocrees players, the only left winger or defender we have still two years away to be a starter (Borman)....

But if we see the things the way was in 2009, the Strikers have more than 100 chances at goal that they don't materialized, not because haven't some body to feed the ball to them, but because they were inept to do so, Angel miss more than 70 goals, chances that the difficult thing to do was that, miss them....

2. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    When did I say it wasn't a good idea to spend the money on the second DP? Find a post where I said that. At the time I said we had Rojas in the middle of the field to feed Angel and the other strikers the ball, but sadly Rojas was a piece of crap and I was wrong about him.

Once again get a post of mine where I said that & if you don't, then once again you have lied to make yourself sound so smart. If I was talking about that second D.P. then it was during the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Because we don't know if that second one will hold.

I was never against spending the money for a second D.P. How they use it is a different option. Please find a post where I said that. If you can't then you just looked foolish.

3. Scott e Dio93

Scott e Dio93 New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Montevideo, URU
    Riquelme would come huge buck$, I remember hearing him in Argentina about Beckham in MLS.

4. wandering soccerdog

Mar 29, 2003
    It's not 3 DPs. It's two DPs: Henry and Beckham.

Zidane gets a third foreign slot (but not a DP slot, because he'll be old -- 37-years-old -- and has spent a few years inactive). Kind of like Albert Celades is now. Foreign player on the downside of his career -- but not a DP.

Figuring that Henry doesn't get here until 2011, Angel can keep the DP designation until the beginning of 2011. But by then, I'm figuring that Angel will be eligible for a green card. If he gets a green card, then he won't count as a foreigner anymore -- he'll count as a domestic player.

And by Opening Day 2011, Angel will be 35-years-old -- which means his international "sell-by" date will have passed. He'll not have any realistic options to connect with a large club overseas -- and as a result, Red Bull will be in a position to lower his salary significantly and drop his Designated Player status. (And if he doesn't like it, he can go play with some small club back in Colombia or Argentina, or something like that. I'm guessing he'll decide to stay here.)

And then, after David Beckham's MLS contract expires at the end of the 2011 season, the Red Bulls can sign Ronaldinho on a free transfer (which is likely by then, if the Red Bulls make their intentions known now) heading into the 2012 season -- at which time Ronaldinho will only be 32-years-old -- young enough to still be a star in MLS.

Then the two DPs will be Ronaldinho and Henry. And Zidane will either have retired at the end of 2011 or will be on his last legs for the 2012 season.

Then we find another international-level playmaker to take Zidane's place.

Perhaps Freddy Adu will be worth a damn by then.

5. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Well exactly what I was saying, that because Rojas is a CRAP was because was a good idea to spend the money of DP in a CAM....But all of you was saying that Rojas was the Cristobal Colon of soccer and he will do magical thing and bla, bla, bla....and that was why wasn't necessary to spend money in a CAM as a DP....

6. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    The player that we more need now and was needed from last year is a CAM, and I was and I'm all for it, no matter the cost, because what we need is a fellow of 25/26 year of age and not a old traffic cone, but with him we need to sign at least 4 defenders and a Mid-Defender too, because we have not body to play as a starter there, the defenders we have are players that are not good even for benches the same the Midfielder Defender, we don't have no body to play there....We desperado need this 6 players and that it is in what the coach have to concentrate to acquire....

7. Ruict

Ruict Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would you want Riquelme, I wouldn't give this guy any money unless it was a cheap signing. I personally would not run to the stadium to watch him. This guy always has issues every where he goes.

8. Blue Note

Blue Note New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Pawling, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ding ding ding. Ask Villarreal fans about Riquelme. The guy is a (talented) headcase.

9. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I know this will have the nasty side effect of fueling more rumor and speculation, but as a rules clarification, the DP 'includes' the transfer fee.

In fact, this is the only reason Luis Landin in Houston is one. He only makes like $120k, but Houston chose to pay his Mexican club a fee to get him.

10. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Villa Real will ask at least for 4 mil euros for his transfer, I don't see this to come through...and beside the transfer he will ask at least for 2.5 mil dolares.....No way Jose, he was inactive in 2007 for more than 7 months and after one game was loaned to Boca, en 2008 Boca refuse to pay for his transfer 4 mil euros and after couple months Villa Real agree with him to live him go to Boca for the 2008/09 season, his emotional stability none look to good, after some couple of games with the MNT he fight with Maradona and left the team for good....

11. vargasv71

vargasv71 Member

Jun 21, 2007
    california
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not until they actually do play here....or unless coverage of European soccer stops altogether.

12. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    Count on it.

13. Ruict

Ruict Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually like the kid, he's hard working and cares about the team. I wish him long stay with RB.

14. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    If we get a new striker Wolly eventually have to go, he is spendable player....The quality and technical grade of futbol in MLS is getting better with the years, but not Wolly is the same and maybe worst with the time...care about the team and work hard for him isn't enough to stay occupying a spot that new kids on the block can do better...Like I say before, no body is indispensable if around is coming a new player that is much better than what we have....this go for Stammy, Petke, Wolly and Angel....

15. QrysDonnell

QrysDonnell Member

Apr 2, 2006
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe announcing TH will be one of the surprises at the game on Saturday night that e-newsletter is referring to.

(Note: NO! I don't actually beleive this is the case. It'll probably Shakira and Wyclef performing 'Hips Don't Lie'. Shakira... Shakira...)

16. Ilvinotinto

Ilvinotinto Member

Apr 8, 2008
    New York
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    Its difficult enough to get Theirry Henry to be thinking about Zidan and company. There wont be a massive firing and the Red Bull in itself are struggling just to keep a player like Celades.

What has to change? part of it , the staff , second 1/3 of the players.
    Johnson will stay so as to a number of other players who have improved their abilities.

Who will come? good question , there is quite a long list but they are keeping it very secret and the decisions wont be made in New York. Thats for Sure.

17. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    That would be the clearest indication the team will not be improving.

18. Ilvinotinto

Ilvinotinto Member

Apr 8, 2008
    New York
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    I guess not than..

19. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA
    If this line-up did happen...which it won't...The Red Bulls would then be called the NY Old Geezers...with the exception of Marvel Wynne, Goldy, DMB and Cepero...all will be in their 30s!

20. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    At 27 I doubt you'd get him from Dortmund anyway.

[​IMG]

21. eintracht.19

eintracht.19 New Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Toms River, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yessssss we can have our very own.... david beckham, if you will. im super excited to (maybe) get an aging eurostar. how bout craig bellamy as a potential future option. he's got a ny personality

22. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    According to Sky Sports the following is from Mark Hughes (Man City boss) in regards to the whole Robinho to Barca rumor:

"And regarding a swap deal (with Thierry Henry) - no, it's not going to happen either. I've got the impression that Henry is leaving Barcelona at the end of the season.

"There were meetings last month between his representatives and New York Red Bulls and I've got the impression that after the World Cup he is going to go to the MLS."

Take that for what it is worth.

23. RerunStubs

RerunStubs Member

Dec 8, 2006
    That quote is not from Mark Hughes. It is from Guillem Balague, a journalist:

Never trust MLS Rumors' characterization of a relevant story or quote. Those guys are barely literate.

24. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    No, that is entirely my bad as I missed the guys name there in that second paragraph. I read the first paragraph, saw the quotation marks and just assumed that it was Mark Hughes talking. I usually am much more critical of their sources (and usually call them out on it) but that is entirely me mis-reading that. Move along, nothing to see here. :cool:

25. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What?? You mean Zidane isn't coming out of his three years of retirement to burn up the league with his Ensure-powered offense? But WS promised us!!