The zone

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by hambone, Apr 3, 2003.

1. hambone

hambone New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Do you guys ever get into a zone, where it seems like you can do nothing wrong? Can you try to describe that?

2. helmzgk

helmzgk New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    california
    For me it's just the feeling that nothing will get past me(I'm a GK). Most times, when in that "zone" all I see is the ball. I usually get that way during a shootout where everything is white and all I see is the ball. I've made some awesome pk saves like that.

3. Alej

Alej New Member

Nov 11, 2002
    South Orange, NJ
    This happens to me sometimes, it's ridiculous, the greatest feeling in the world. Some people describe it as the game slowing down, but I tend to think of it as me going faster than everyone else, like I have an unfair advantage. I usually just see colors of the uniforms. You feel as if you are unstoppable. Gets the thumbs up from me.

4. GreenDay

GreenDay New Member

Sep 15, 2001
    Estonia
    Yep, it is a the best feeling in the world! It happens to me sometimes when I'm in good shape. I pull off tricks that I wasn't even aware I could do.

5. Froggy316

Froggy316 Member

Sep 20, 2002
    Lawrence, KS
    yeah for sure. u can get into the zone for almost anything though. i call it "autopilot". i used to do it alot in video games, like tony hawk, just do the sickest tricks without even thinking.

6. Ben16

Ben16 New Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Georgia
    I hit the zone alot of games we play, usually when my confidence is high.

7. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I can feel it usually about two or three hours before the match and its almost like I have butterflies in my gut, borderline worry almost, like I will not do well or something.

After a game like that I can get myself into the zone more and more but I have been unlucky as of late picking up injuries that have slowed me down once I hit top stride. Self doubt tends to kick in at that time and it can bring the joy of a great sting of games doen real fast.

Another time it can happen is after a really bad a$$ looking or big time goal that just gets you soring because you feel so high after scoring you want to get that feeling back. Once you get boosted like that the game does tend to slow down it seems and you cant put a foot wrong.

I wonder what it must have felt like for Ronaldo to score those two goals in the WC final because he was lackluster in the game till he scored the first one then he seemed to get in to his zone and once hes there I dont think anyone can get near him.

8. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    Happens every now and then. I can still remember a game 2 years back when just about EVERY pass I sent hit the target. I was playing with a new group for the first time, and within 10 minutes they started running the offense through me. Passes were going through and around defenders left and right and ending up at the boot of one of my attackers right in scoring position. It's hard to describe, but people who have had games like that never forget the experience.

9. hambone

hambone New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    I also get in 'the zone' sometimes but I can't seem to do it in most games especially at higher levels. I think it is because I start to get nervous. When I play with my friends (who also play on my team for high level games) I will go into the zone and it is weird i can predict kind of I see a bit ahead or something especially when one on one I start to see what the defenders are going to do my vision improves and I can see plays all over the place. Also, when going for a shot I'll just look up see where the ball should go and put it there in no time. I never notice the goalie when in the zone and my head is always up when in the zone. I have noticed that the zone come's when I start to have a lot of fun like I am practically joking but still serious (if that makes sense). Basically, I have decided that relaxation and confidence combined with happiness brings on the zone so I am going to figure out how to get into the zone in a game now.

10. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The best way to describe being in the zone, like someone already said is autopilot. You aren't really thinking, it's kinda like instinct. I'm a defender so if I'm marking somebody, and the cut or do a move I'll be right there with them without thinking about how I should move/position my feet/do whatever to stick with them.

11. BerwynBlazers

BerwynBlazers Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    man i was in the zone big time tonight. nothing can go wrong and stuff just happens, you are in the right place at the right time and are unstoppable.

if only i could harness that into the way i play all the time..

12. hermsoccergrl

hermsoccergrl New Member

Oct 25, 2002
    VA
    I've been in the zone a few times, it doesn't happen very often though... since I'm a defender when I get in the zone I can kick the ball way down the field.

13. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It does not happen often to me, but it does sometimes. As was said before, it is "like I have an unfair advantage" - I can just dribble anyone and pass just where I want it. When it happens, I just beg for the ball because I know I can do something with it..

14. nopheer

nopheer New Member

May 4, 2002
    Swindon, UK
    i aint ever really been in the zone because i am unfortunately a perfectionist, i always expect to hit my targets:/

15. Fever

Fever New Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Canada
    when i get into the "zone"best described as autopilot like some of you have said, i begin not to think so much but react. instead of a studder here or there its just crisp and accurate. everything seems so open too and i find the holes alot quicker and easier. id agree with the game slows down and im a step ahead of opponents