The Youth Thread | U18s, U21s, Next Gen Series

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Fitzgerald#11, Aug 20, 2012.

1. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had seen several videos of our u23s running a 2 ST setup and just assumed we were running a 4-4-2 variation. Very interesting that they are essentially running Nagelsmann's system (3-3-2-2). Was always partial to Nagelsmann and really like the system he runs.

2. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Rekik was the hyped kid from Germany right? Not checked how John jules is doing, but he, rekik, azeez and Latino seem to be the most promising

3. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    For a minute I couldn’t figure out which Latino kid you were talking about. I think we should chip in and get you a stylus for your phone’s keypad.

thebigman repped this.
  4. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Bear paws are the bestest part of this forum.

thebigman repped this.
  5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You just have to learn bear translation.

6. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well he is Spanish

7. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Azeez was WhoScored.com’s Man of the Match in Portsmouth’s 2-0 win today.

daedalus and maskito repped this.
  8. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    I really like how this lad goes about it and really hope we give him game time next season.

9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is this dude? It certainly ain't Sambi Lokonga!

[​IMG]

10. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Omar Rekik

maskito and NorthBank repped this.
  11. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    hutchinson did that defender dirty.

NorthBank repped this.
  12. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #987 daedalus, Jan 12, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    middlesbrough seems like a good level for balogun to be learning - not quite at the playoff/promotion level but still in the upper half of the championship. also helpful that manager there, wilder, was apparently keen on signing balogun when he was at sheffield.

13. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    thebigman and NorthBank repped this.
  14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BNC baby! Get your fingers used to typin that a lot. :D

15. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Kids a beast

16. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    so i didn't know this until i was fiddling with FM but we have a kid in the U18 by the name of luigi gaspar. i don't see him on the official website but he shows up on transfermarkt.

and if that last name sounds familiar . . . . . . . :D

NorthBank repped this.
  17. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    there's an article on reiss nelson at the athletic today. art de roche talked about, in the 2nd half of the season, he's become a bigger part of feyenoord's setup. but i thought this was the most interesting part:
    i'm not saying their methodology is best or even better than ours, but considering how we consistently have struggles with soft tissue issues, it feels like our club needs to rethink/reconsider how we approach that.

maskito, NorthBank and chjoak repped this.
  18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's interesting. And thanks for sharing. Especially since I don't subscribe to the Athletic.

Especially interesting is that Feyernoord's training is both more demanding than Arsenal's, which he pretty clearly says. What's not as clear is if Arsenal do less of those recovery & preventative therapies, or if Reiss was just not availing himself of them when he was at Arsenal?

Personally I'd all but given up hope on him. But I'd be willing to give him another chance, but maybe just one. But what I think doesn't matter... it's what Mikel thinks. I guess we'll be finding that out in the next few months.

daedalus repped this.
  19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question... Balogun went to Middleborough in Jan. In the back end of the season he made 18 app (9 starts 9 subs) and had 3 gls & 3 assts. Based on those results and what we have seen of him for Arsenal, what should we do with him next season?

1. Stay with the first team as the 3rd ST to play cups & EL group stages and then reevaluate in Jan.
    2. Loan to a Championship squad with a good shot at promotion.
    3. Loan to a bottom half Prem squad.
    4. Loan to a team in another country.

21. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    #996 And_ROOS, Jun 8, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
    Knowing our run with injuries and form the last few years, 6 month loan to a championship team would be super, with a view to extend it if we have fit strikers in Jan.

Also just saw ESR assist Balogun for England U21s as he scores 2 in todays match.

22. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    for me, in order of preference, 3 then 2 then 4.

2 (championship) for patino, azeez, hutchinson, and flores.

3 (premiership) for tavares and ballard.

yossarian repped this.
  23. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree about Balogun with the added caveat that it's somewhere he looks to be close to a nailed on first XI player. No Eddie to Leeds but Bielsa loves Bamford type moves.

As for Tavares, I agree with Clive from the AV pod. I think he can be coached up and his physical and technical abilities are really good. Get him as much playing time in Europa, Carabao, etc., this fall and then reassess in January regarding a potential loan.

daedalus repped this.
  24. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    oh, absolutely. it needs to not be that crap with eddie somewhere where the manager prefers a different striker or dumb shit like putting gnabry with pulis.

prince posted a video in a different thread with an interview with him. terrific english and what felt to me like a great attitude. there didn't seem to be lingering petulant from being removed. like, he wasn't happy - and nobody would be - but he seems to understand that he didn't play well. he seems to understand that he completely lost his head when shooting this season. i had high hopes for him before but that gave me even more hope.

i mean, i can see the positives of keeping him through january. more time to work with arteta+staff and more time to play in/gain understanding of arteta's system and expectations. he could get some experience in europe/league if arteta learns of a thing called "rotation".

but, honestly, my ideal scenario would be: spend on hickey and have him as LB2 (while learning RB) and full season of game time for tavares then have tavares come back where we, hopefully, can just flog cedric off somewhere with less time left on his clock.

25. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    If Jesus is the only striker signed, I think he has to stay thru Jan. If it's something like Scamacca and Jesus, then he should obviously go on loan.

I'd send him to the championship. I'd want him on a team that will attack and score lots of goals. Or somewhere like Feyenoord abroad. Broja finished with 6 goals at Soton, would Balogun score even that many? I don't think he's as good as Broja.

Are we overrating Hickey? Clive made a comment about him not being physically ready yet. McNicolas said something similar, I think. He only played 7 times at fullback for Bologna according to transfermarkt compared to 29 times in midfield. Not sure he is an improvement over Tavares right now.

yossarian repped this.