The "You suck @$$h0le" chant

Discussion in 'Salt Lake Supporters Clubs' started by DadOf6, Jun 21, 2011.

1. rabble-rabble

rabble-rabble Member

Jul 26, 2004
    West Jordan, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of people made 'noise' in the form of vuvuzelas at last year's World Cup. All they succeeded in doing is obliterating anyone else who tried to drum, chant or sing to support their nation's team.

I applaud our Latin fans for coming out and supporting the team in an enthusiastic manner, but it would be nice if once in a while someone else could try to start up a chant or song and not have one of the Latin groups promptly start pounding away as loud and hard as they can and drown them out.

2. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    So true.

Plain and simple the supporter groups are great but have much to improve upon. To say we need to wait and see what it will look like in 30 years is just bullshit. Just watch a Portland or Seattle match. Watch and learn. Steal everything they do. Do something.

The question shouldn't be whether or not YSA is appropriate or not, I find very little value in it and think it's incredibly juvenile, that's why I laugh, but whether or not anyone would miss the YSA chant?

I would say not a single person would truly miss the YSA chant.

3. dstorm

dstorm Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you know, I could be wrong, but I thought a couple of games ago there was a point where La Barra stopped drumming and joined in with a chant. Or maybe they drummed to the chant. But I remember thinking that was a first and it sounded pretty good.

4. DadOf6

DadOf6 Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said nothing that I have not seen first hand. I was also careful to note that I have not been to any of the SG-FO meetings for a year or so. But I will cheerfully agree that I don't know what I am talking about if you will reply and tell me that the FO no longer has concerns about the language used in the chants; they are perfectly fine with the YSA chant.

If the FO does have concerns then my post was both appropriate and timely. I don't know why a SG would not want to know about the excessive measures that another FO did to stamp out a chant that is not nearly as "salty" as one they use. It can signal a a sea change in the league--and that was my point.

I have not been to a chant practice. I probably won't. I would like to go but it has not been possible since I took a second job. I have all day Sunday and Thursday evenings off. I go to the games when I get vacations days approved. I wasn't even able to contribute my ginger beer and root beer to the home brew contest. That hurt.

I don't know if/what concessions the SGs have made but only one would be relevant to what I have been taking about in this thread and that is the YSA chant. That is the specific chant that the article I linked was talking about and if there are concessions they have been too recent to have taken effect or they are not being honored.

In either case you calling me an asshole in a public forum is an overreaction and a personal attack that has no place in civl discourse.

5. Hardtcore

Hardtcore Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Kearnshaw
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny enough, the American Outlaws front page poll is on this very subject.

6. theothers

theothers New Member

Apr 30, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    They have to keep the YSA and other profanity-laced chants. How else will I be able to distinguish the cool, rebellious hipsters from the common folk?

7. DadOf6

DadOf6 Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. rabble-rabble

rabble-rabble Member

Jul 26, 2004
    West Jordan, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just look for the ones wearing black.

A funny note, while I was watching the DCU broadcast last weekend on a stream, one the of announcers (who were from DCU) mistook Salt City United for a traveling DCU group and observed that it was an impressive showing of visiting fans and the other announcer corrected him and said that the group was actually one of the RSL fan groups.

9. rabble-rabble

rabble-rabble Member

Jul 26, 2004
    West Jordan, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would hope it doesn't come to that. The horrible mistake made at Foxboro was that fans who had been coming to the games for years and joining in with cheers (many of them very possibly completely unaware of any requests from the FO to tone things down) were unexpectedly ejected as though the rules had changed abruptly overnight.

10. Ucnerock

Ucnerock New Member

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    In all these "swearing" threads people like to mention all the concessions the sg have made but never mention what the concessions are. I'm curious, what are they?

11. lurpythepirate

Sep 14, 2009
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've cut out the grandma chant (as well as others that feature the f-bomb more than once or twice), we're getting rid of the call and response portion of YSA, and the Royal Army is attempting to put together things like chant practices. In exchange, the FO has allowed us to use bullhorns and loosened some of the sideline restrictions so that Section 26 and others can attempt to get the stadium wide chants going.

Our biggest problem, as it always has been, is the drumming. Enough has been said about that, and I'm sure plenty more will be said before this thread dies; suffice it to say that LBR occasionally joins in on something but not often enough, and UR doesn't give a shit about anything except for their beef with La Barra.

FYI, at the last chant practice there were lots of kids, so we did all PG-rated chants or PGified versions of our regular chants. If you want to learn and practice those, show up. If you don't, make up your own. If you do neither, your complaints are not our problem.

Oh, and IBIK, since you clearly have no idea what things are like between the SGs and the FO at the moment (hint: pretty good), it would behoove you not to act like an authority on the subject. But then, this is BigSoccer, the most accurately abbreviated forum on the web.

12. SpiffCoug

SpiffCoug Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Orem, Ut
    We should chant XANGO instead of ******** of YSA. Give some love to our sponsor?

13. lurpythepirate

Sep 14, 2009
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Problem is, Xango tastes exactly like asshole.

14. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    From what I hear, lurpy is an expert on this subject...:p

15. lurpythepirate

Sep 14, 2009
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What can I say, I'm a discerning consumer.

16. dstorm

dstorm Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I moved back closer to my season ticket seats with my daughter for the 2nd half of the Toronto game to get a closer look at the RSL attacking half and appreciated the toned back version of the 'YSA' chant with the 'Gooo Real Salt Lake' at the end.

Kudos to RCB for working with the front office on this. Still think the 'YSA' chant is lame but this latest version is a whole lot better than the former version.

Thanks.

17. SpiffCoug

SpiffCoug Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Orem, Ut
    So that makes it a perfect substitute to chant then!:)

18. Nuboom

Nuboom Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The L side of the RSL chant sucks...

I always ask the R guy what happened to the L.... Should just have the south end and east end do the L in unison if the west side doesnt want to participate

19. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    The L kind of sucks because we can only go up to section 22. For security reasons, they won't allow us to roam behind the players and such.

However, you'd think that they would catch on...........

20. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if you guys saw the TFC broadcast of Saturday's game, but the commentator was making reference to the YSA chant and how he expects that from Philly fans and not SLC fans. How little he knows...

21. DadOf6

DadOf6 Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can only go to the North end of section 22. I sit on the South end of that section. I participate but it takes several iterations before I notice and a few more before anyone around me joins in. I haven't noticed anyone in section 21 join in.

22. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    down in section13/14 we have no idea which letter to be...
    all we know is that the drummers from UR and LBR don't have the strength to keep a good rhythm for 90 minutes. Hell, its usually shit by minute 15.

I've also noticed UR is losing numbers each game. I hate to celebrate a supporters groups dwindling, but this seems like a good time to do so.

I'd also make a hefty wager that LBR has the best/worst confetti to person ratio of any SG in the league.

23. El Llama

El Llama Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Llamaverse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have the unfortunate opportunity to sit next to UR in Section XI, and they've been losing bodies and the umph to keep going. Hell the last game they left at half time to go watch the remainder of the USA/MEX game. I for one would welcome the loss of Union since they have zero desire to work with anyone other than themselves.

24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. rabble-rabble

rabble-rabble Member

Jul 26, 2004
    West Jordan, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In conparison to the events in Foxboro, things went much more smoothly at Rio Tinto.

KUDOS goes out to both our supporter groups and the FO for communicating with each other and addressing the issues of some of the more colorful language. They worked together to help make the stadium a fun place for all to enjoy our favorite sport. Things have been cleaned up a lot the last few months which many of us appreciate while there has been reasonable tolerance for a bit of rowdiness that isn't too over the top and hopefully all fans can continue having a great time cheering on our team.