The "You suck @$$h0le" chant

Discussion in 'Salt Lake Supporters Clubs' started by DadOf6, Jun 21, 2011.

1. DadOf6

DadOf6 Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The original thread dropped off my list but I thought this is timely.

It is not controversial only in Utah. BIIIIG problems in New England. I think that in SLC there is an ironic reluctance to clamp down on this because they don't want to be seen as pawns of the religious majority, but if other teams feel the need to put a stop to this chant can RSL be far behind? and what about some other "choice" chants?

Looking at the South end I was struck at the distribution of supporters. It looks like the East (profane) side is growing but the West (PG-rated) is dwindling away.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/blog.php?b=11598

Be careful friends.

Please.

2. rabble-rabble

rabble-rabble Member

Jul 26, 2004
    West Jordan, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are those who are critical of the content of some of the cheers coming out of the east side of the supporters end, but you have to give them credit for recruiting a lot more new fans than the west side groups have been able to get into the stands.

3. DadOf6

DadOf6 Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I would hate to lose that, which is why I am pointing out that one team was willing to anger a similar group of their fans.

4. STGCaveman

STGCaveman Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Brigham City, UT
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am hijacking my son's post here....we had to give up our seats on the west side of the south endzone because of the "choice chants" . We have been season ticket holders from day 1. We like to bring our children and their friends to the games but when our children refused to bring anyone to the games because of the vulgarity being spewn out, we had no choice. So we moved but also dropped the season tickets because we travel 4 hours one way to see a match and we want to be able to enjoy ourselves and not be bombarded by NEEDLESS crassness. I don't get how these chants support our team. I feel they degrade and tarnish the team and their efforts. We have experimented sitting in different seats around the stadium, yes we miss chanting all the time but we do enjoy the game more and are more relaxed elsewhere. I also find it a bit ironic that the group ticket sales for youth soccer teams are placed so close to the South end zone. We have traveled to see the team in many different cities around the country and have not heard as many crude chants as at our "home". It is a sad day when the Home Depot Center is more appealing than enduring the first 45 minutes at Rio Tinto. Thanks for listening. The front office doesn't.

5. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm so stoked that we're discussing this! We haven't debated this subject in at least an hour.

For anyone who's new, here's how the debate will unfold at this point:
    1. People will go in circles about whether swearing appropriate or necessary.
    2. Then it will turn into an LDS/non-LDS insult-fest.
    3. Finally the debate will turn to alcohol before slowly fading into the sunset and nothing will have changed. If anything, both sides will leave with increased resolve to do their best to piss off the other side.

6. DadOf6

DadOf6 Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it needs to go that way. This is strictly a SG-FO issue, conversations between fans have run their course.

I posted this hoping that the SG leaders will listen to nuances in what the FO may say to them going forward. I have not been privy to FO-SG communications for a year or so but I know the issue has been raised in prior years; I heard it first-hand. I think that what happened to the NE supporters may indicate a change in the way the wind is blowing.

I posted this hoping that the SG leaders will listen to nuances in what the FO may say to them going forward.

7. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, I see. In that case, here is how the debate will go:
    1. FO asks supporter's groups to tone down the language.
    2. Supporter's groups tell the front office "piss off...we'll do as we please."
    3. Things will continue as before, with the difference that the SG's and FO will dislike each other even more.

Personally, I don't mind the "you suck, @ssh0le" chant. It's a bit juvenile, but at least the stadium is united in saying something.

8. Hardtcore

Hardtcore Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Kearnshaw
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TL/DR

But honestly the YSA is silly. I'd be for something more creative, whether it used swearing or not I don't care.

What would you like us to say? Lets turn this thread into a way to come up with someing better! Then you can bring the SG's something other than, "Can't you stop and say something else?"

9. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every Portland/Seattle match I watch just makes me dislike our "supporters" that much more.

I know, I know. They have history, richer tradition, larger population, etc. But, really, this is retarded.

We have 4 separate sections/groups in the south end that have their own objectives.
    The rest of us suffer.

I haven't heard the Ole chant across the entire stadium since early in the season. I thought it was going to be a trend, guess not.

Those chant practices seem to not be helping, either.

10. Christoph

Christoph Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Farm Country
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always thought it would sound good to start quiet and build up with oooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Ole!

No matter what happens, it would just be nice to do something different from most other stadiums in MLS.

11. Hardtcore

Hardtcore Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Kearnshaw
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saying ole is already linked to completing multiple passes in a row. But not bad.

12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I personally find it hilarious that in conservative Utah, the YSA chant is perhaps the loudest in the league. And its not just YSA, its more like YSA-A-A-a-a-a.....

In refined places like Chester, PA and Foxborough, MA they are cracking down because they are worried about offending families. What does that say about Utah, RSL and Rio Tinto staff? LOL Just makes me laugh. Its ludicrous!

[​IMG]

13. DadOf6

DadOf6 Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a plain "You suck!" would suffice.

14. DadOf6

DadOf6 Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually a dream of mine for PKs by the other team is to have the stadium as loud as possible and then when the kicker takes his first step have the stadium go totally silent.

15. Hardtcore

Hardtcore Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Kearnshaw
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "You Suck!" would work and be just fine but it's forever linked with a-hole and people will add that at the end even if they are trying to stop.

16. Section 5

Section 5 Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correction: the stadium is not united in that chant, the south end and a couple of groups around the stadium are.

17. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right, but from where I sit, this is the most united-sounding cheer we have.

18. Section 5

Section 5 Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And doesn't the "You suck a$$hole chant" end by those groups saying "F@#$ you a$$hole?"

I for one could care less what people say, but I do agree that it goes to far sometimes. I have tickets on the southeast side, and on occasion I take my 7 year old niece. I think that people should be able to say whatever the hell that they want, but I would hope they would have a little bit of tact.

I also think the streamers are out of control. I think it is awesome when the supporters groups coat the goal pre game if the opposing keeper is in it, but throwing streamers at players during the run of play is completely ridiculous.

That's just my opinion. :)

19. dstorm

dstorm Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Section 5 is correct, it's not just YSA at the Riot -

The chant is 'You Suck A-hole!, what do you suck, A-hole!, what do you f--K, A-hole! - F--k You A-hole! (there are a few other creative variants of it).

By sitting at other end of the stadium a lot of the noise is drowned out and you only hear the A-hole and the last F--K you A-hole.... but sitting near the south end you get the privilege of enjoying it in all its RCB glory.

20. FCBeast

FCBeast Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Kearnshaw
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besides talk radio, Big Soccer is the best place to go to hear people talk about shit they know nothing about.

Have any of you shown up to the chant practices? Have any of you been to the meetings with the FO? Do you know what concessions the SGs have agreed to? If you haven't but you continue to talk like you know what is going on then "You suck asshole!"

21. Hardtcore

Hardtcore Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Kearnshaw
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beast has a point. The Royal Army just had their first chant practice, that was the perfect time to address this complaint. And this thread is turning into another, "What I Don't Like" threads.

We all get some don't care and some don't like the YSA. Again, how about instead of adding to the fodder, we come up with a better chant and bring it up at the next practice or SG meeting.

22. FCBeast

FCBeast Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Kearnshaw
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the last SG meeting and chant practice the YSA chant was discussed. There is no way you will ever get rid of it. One concession the SGs have come up with is to stop the "What does he suck" call and respond at the end. So at the end off the YSA chant we go straight into the "GooooooooooooooooOOOO ReAL SALT LAKE" chant. It will take a few weeks for it to catch on, but with the capos and the drummers moving on the crowd will eventually follow.

23. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    any luck with LBR or UR joining in on these chant practices?
    what the hell happened to our "Ole, ole ole ole, real, salt lake" chant?

24. FCBeast

FCBeast Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Kearnshaw
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LMFAO!!! Those two groups no longer care about anybody but themselves. They just compete with each other to see who can be louder and more rowdy. I used to think they were there to add atmosphere. Hell, I used to defend them constantly to other SG members. I've now realized that if they actually cared about the team or the atmosphere they would cooperate with the other groups, something they refuse to do.

25. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sit right next to UR. It irritates the hell out of me. I hear you guys up front and I go to join in just to be outdone by an (offbeat) drummer and 5 guys with their shirts off not giving two shits about the game.

I used to defend them because they brought numbers and noise.
    Lately, only the second one has been happening. And not in a good way.