The worst movie of all time

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by martymarts, Jul 12, 2005.

1. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    i seldom go to the cinema, and am hardly a fan, so my scope for such a discussion is severely limited.

however, based solely upon a roughly 15 minute segment that i once saw of stayin' alive, john travolta's sequel to saturday night fever, i am convinced that it would be impossible to put moving pictures to a more contemptable use than this particular film.

2. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Jayro,

Might I enquire how old you are?

That could explain to me your taste in movies...

3. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    but with a little effort, you could figure Siskel out...he had an aesthetic, albeit i disagreed with him ( no more than Gene Shalit - maybe it's the hair ) much of the time.

4. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Ernest saves Christmas" is one of my favorite XMas movies.

"Call it a ... fifth sense"

But some were truly bad

5. Dolemite

Dolemite Member+

Apr 2, 2001
    East Bay, Ca
    [​IMG]

6. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    I trust people would generally ignore a stupid ass ignorant statement like that -- as if one movie reflects "american humor"?

At least you are honest.

7. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    Now to open up a can of worms! Come on, lets get past the special effects and die hard fan thing here and be totally honest, in descending order;

Bad - Star Wars 1/Star Wars 6
    Worse - Star Wars 2
    Just farkin hilariously bad - Star Wars 3

For me the funniest and worst moment in all of SW, even more cringe making than midi-clorians and Ja Ja Binx, is when the newly mechano-made Darth Vader, on hearing that his beloved "no I love you more because you love me" Princess I'mreallydulla had croaked, lets out a pure Rocky Baboa type scream! What unbridled mirth!

8. jwaldman11

jwaldman11 New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    The OC
    Eh. I though "Sith" was actually the best out of the newest trilogy, though the scream was pretty lame. I loved the battle between he and Obi-Wan though, and the Jedi-hunting montage was pretty good.

Also, I think I'm in the minority here, but I liked "Return of the Jedi". Yeah, I know about all the complaints with the Ewoks and everything, but I thought the rest of it was fine.

9. NoodlesMacintosh

NoodlesMacintosh New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought ep. 1 was the worst. I've said it before, I'll say it again: ep. 2 was in almost every single way a worse film than 1, but it had one key thing going for it: ep. 1 had wrecked my expectations for the trilogy so throughly that I came in to ep. 2 expecting absolutely nothing, and I got kung fu Yoda and Samuel L. Jackson decapitating people. So I walked out happy.

Episode 1 is an example of a failure of unfulfilled expectations more than anything else. As much as I don't enjoy watching it, it's still a far cry better than, say, Sphere.

10. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just one movie, Eraserhead. I could kill Lynch for that pile of crap. 1 1/2 hours of my life that I can never get back.

11. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004

Brilliantly written..... Thats a stretch there was not one single clever or witty comment or scene in any of those movies...

Comedy includes anything by Mel Brooks, Monty Python, Movies such as Old School, Animal House, etc.....

But don't come in here and try to insult my intelligence because I thougt those movies were painful......

Oh yeah I almost forgot....

GO FVCK YOURSELF.....

12. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004

Kind of curious what that has to do with anything but I'm 30 since you're asking....

13. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    for me, getting a perspective, albeit limited, on a person's life experience, based on chronological age, helps me evaluate their taste and preferences.

for example, i wouldn't expect 30 year olds to like music that was popular ( Top 40 ) before they were born, so if you think Wooly Bully and What the World Needs Now are crap, i can understand. they were partly a product of their times, and you didn't live thru them.

on the other hand, if you think (I Can't Get No)Satisfaction or I Can't Help Myself (Four Tops) stink, i don't know what to say, since i think they stand up as very good music, from almost any perspective. you can disagree, of course, but i think you would get some stick for it.

14. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004

Well my favorite bands if this helps are the Doors, Zeppelin, Floyd,, etc.....

15. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    1) Shawshank Redemption

I'm not being contrarian- a horrid film.

16. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004

And people are knocking me for disliking Oh brother where art thou :confused:

17. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Am I the only one who thinks that most responses have not been in terms of "movies poorly concieved and executed" but rather "movies I hate?"

And does it reveal something about the nation/culture at the moment?

18. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Shawshank was terrible, as was O Brother, even though I like some of the Coen Bros' movies.

The biggest crime committed by O Brother is what it did with its source material. A comic version of Homer's Odyssey? It's amazing that no one has ever thought of that before. What was more surprising is that so few critics noted this. However, instead of a funny, tragic, and penetrating examination of the Irish psyche, we get hick jokes.

It's like doing Romeo and Juliet as a musical about rival gangs without ever having heard of West Side Story.

19. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    Wow, this thread has gone head first into an empty pool.

Why is O Brother a bad film? Because it took a already conceived formula and re wrote it into an early 20th century American story?

And honestly I will fight anyone that picks on Wes Anderson!
    Except for maybe The Life Aquatic that was pretty lame. :D

Anyhow so i will drop my bombs and walk away.
    Titanic Sucked big giant gargantuan donkey balls.
    But those balls were small in comparison to the size of the gonads sucked during the "film" starring Madonna as Evita Peron...

Then again, I like Romero films..

20. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Many many people will probably disagree with me but i thought that Once upon a Time in America a was one of the worst films i've ever seen.

Also the Taxi remake was awful, who thought that Jimmy Fallon and Queen Latifa should be in a comedy film?

21. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Wow.

22. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    wow?

23. romagol10

romagol10 Member

Jul 23, 2003
    CO
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must have misread the title this is "The worst movie of all time" thread, not "The best movie of all time by three million orange mocha frappuccinos" thread.

"You can read minds?" LOFL.

24. shwantzme

shwantzme Member

Jul 11, 2003
    The Old Dominion
    and you must be the most un-having a sense of humor person in the entire world.

25. shwantzme

shwantzme Member

Jul 11, 2003
    The Old Dominion
    Friday Night Lights