The Woke Madness Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by YankBastard, Oct 13, 2021.

1. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    We'll see how mad this turns out to be. In the past, when the comics introduced black and female superheroes, a lot of people complained. Now Black Panther and Wonder Woman are comic book staples.

The Jitty Slitter, Mike03 and Smurfquake repped this.
  3. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I'm not a comic book nerd & almost all the superhero movies are trash. But what would bi Superman's power be?

4. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    He's the son of Superman so...same powers just a kid.

5. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be clear, that's not Clark Kent / Kal-El, the best known Superman. That's his son Jon Kent, who is currently Superman in the comics. It's a publicity stunt - something that has happened in comics before - remember when Superman died, and like how professional wrestling used to claim they were real, DC comics was all "no, he's dead for real, he's not coming back" and then like a year later he came back? That's going to happen here - at some point in the not-too-distant future, Jon Kent will stop being Superman and Clark Kent will come back to the role, and everyone who's bothered by a fictional character being bi can breathe a big sigh of relief because Superman once again only humps ladies.

6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bisexual =/= gay. It is absolutely astounding how many people are getting this wrong.

russ, sitruc, raza_rebel and 2 others repped this.
  7. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    one of the most grating "woke" things these days is hearing and seeing references to "pregnant people".

ffs ... if you are carrying human offspring, you're a woman.

Auriaprottu and bostonsoccermdl repped this.
  8. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    No

The Jitty Slitter, sitruc and phedre44 repped this.
  9. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  10. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    It doesn't stop there. Muppets are insensitive, Disney the same. Now James Bond exhibits toxic masculinity. The list goes on and on.
    And people wonder why the woke movement is getting backlash. Obviously these aren't serious offenses, but the underlying mentality/principle of this (albeit extreme) crowd, has gotten rediculous.

And god forbid you make light of it, there is hell to pay! The whole thing has become a farce.

luftmensch and SamScouse repped this.
  11. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    or ridiculous, even.

Dyvel repped this.
  12. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have my quarrels with college progressives, but I don't see the problem here. Nobody is complaining. Nobody is boycotting. Nobody is telling other people how bad they are. This is a positive, creative step of writing a character. It is not being a nag.

13. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    So rape is bad now?

Mike03 and bungadiri repped this.
  14. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    The whole world is becoming a big pile of doody.....and now this! :rolleyes:

rslfanboy and bungadiri repped this.
  15. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why does anyone care about the sexuality of a cartoon character?

16. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If you have time to march off to the culture war over a cartoon, I think your life is probably a lot better than you've led yourself to believe it is, which means it's probably a good idea to spend less time online no matter what side you're on.

17. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That's a good quote for politics too. In 1984, inflation was 4% and unemployment was 7%, and Ronnie won re-election in a landslide. Now inflation is 3.5% (trailing 12 months), unemployment is 4.8%, and it's whine whine whine, complain complain complain, bad polls for the current President, just as bad polls for the previous President.

xtomx, bigredfutbol and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  18. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think you're right. The right wing has had a discontent factory churning out agtating news stories since Limbaugh got syndicated and Fox News went on the air in the 90s. Of course, the left-leaning media has more recently figured out how to generate clicks and retweets and the like, too. They just haven't been at it as long.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  19. phedre44

phedre44 Member

SKC
    Apr 1, 2008
    Kansas
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A trans man is a person who was assigned female at birth (so, has a vagina, uterus, ovaries, etc.) but identifies as a man. Often, but not always, a trans man will take efforts to appear more "masculine" because he feels like a man and wants others to treat him like they would any other man, so he might take hormone replacement therapy, grow a beard, lift weights to grow bigger muscles, wear clothing that is considered masculine by society at large, etc. Depending on his level of gender dysphoria, he may have top and/or bottom surgery (to remove breasts/turn a hole into a pole, to be crude). He is "biologically female" and could become pregnant (unless he has had bottom surgery, and if he is taking hormones, he'd need to stop temporarily), but he's still a man.

Biological sex: Male, Female, Intersex

Your biological sex is determined by your chromosomes and genitals (and even then, it's a bit more complicated than that), but your gender is a label you apply to yourself and have others apply to you that is determined by a million other factors. You see a man walking down the street and apply "man" to him because of the way he looks and dresses and talks and acts, not because you saw his dick and looked at his cells under a microscope to confirm he has a Y-chromosome.

Many trans men never want to become pregnant because it increases their dysphoria. Some just don't want kids. Some adopt. If they want to have their own biological children, they would have to go through the process of having eggs extracted and find a surrogate, which is difficult and very expensive. Some trans men who want to have their own biological children decide it is easier and much, much cheaper to just deal with going off their hormones for a year or two and get pregnant the old fashioned way.

20. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Thank you for the voice of reason.

Mike03 repped this.
  21. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I were bi, I might look at this Superman story arc and think, "Hey, I'm represented in popular culture!" instead of thinking it's part of "woke culture." It'd just be culture.

The question is if I would see everything else as not culture because it wasn't me. I don't imagine that would be the case, just that I would wish to see people like me included.

Do we have a preponderance of bi comics characters now or something? Or is this a story precisely because it is so unique?

22. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think "pregnant people" is example #1 of why many (many!) people scoff at anything remotely "woke" and thereby contribute to the erosion of its well-intended objectives. in this case, efforts to avoid offending a tiny portion of the population is starting to twist language in ways that will slowly make it inoperative. (before you ask: I do feel the same way about "he/she/they".)

do you think it's a good thing to use "pregnant people"? does it not in a subtle way take away from women their fundamental essence (regardless of their childbearing decisions)? or as my ultra-feminist wife would say "ffs, is there literally NOTHING that men won't take away from women?".

Auriaprottu repped this.
  23. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And a very effective one, apparently.

24. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    This is also taking time away from posts on various tomato sauce, cheese and cooked dough combinations that some might call pizza.