The Wise Auld Fox - Part II - The Great Teams

Discussion in 'Manchester United: History' started by Dark Savante, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Re: The Wise Old Fox - Part II - The Great Teams

Next part won't be up this week. Haven't had the time.

2. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich

A brilliant piece of work really worth reading, even if you're not a fan of Manchester United Football Club.

Since I can't concentrate on reading lengthy pieces of text online, I printed it all out and read it while getting to work. A real page-turner!!

There's something I would like to comment on and that is Ferguson complaining about the 3-foreigners-rule. I don't see it being unfair to Manchester United or English clubs in general. I infact believe it was long-overdue. All European clubs were not allowed to field more than 2 (later 3) foreign players in international competition only for English clubs UEFA made an exception, as they could field as many non-English players as they liked, as long as they were British. But in football terms, being Scottish or Northerin Irish or Welsh is being "foreign". Instead of complaining about being "disadvantaged", English clubs finally got to taste how it was for all other European clubs for decades.

3. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!

How many pages is it in print?

I think we've broached the issue of the 3 foreigner rule in the BG forum a few times. It's a fair point you raise, but understanding the difference between what has always been an heavily integrated game amongst the British Isles+Ireland and its nations and that of the other nations is paramount.

'Foreign' for us is any player outside of that reach and I think that when the game here has always been so immersive amongst its own Isles, that's a fair distinction, one which I don't think SAF would have complained about - losing the Isles players was a bigger blow to us than the foreign stars in our ranks.

I would say this is one of those differences English clubs will never see eye-to-eye with vis-a-vis European mainlanders where the heritage of the game has always been completely different.

For you, there isn't an issue of losing what you never had, the definition of foreigner, as stated is very different in its interpretation - where you definitively state the Isles as completely singular entities, here, they are only seperate in internal issues/disputes etc, where national identity is apparent - all speak English which is the common bond, and they aren't colonies, which makes it a very unique situation.

I'm not sure if that's a worthwhile answer for you, but I think that'd be standard response from a British or Irish mainlander.

4. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007

Next chapter anytime soon:)

5. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!

I might re-start after the season is done. I'm not sure the interest in it is strong enough though, tbh.

I'm going to change the title of both to Wise Auld Fox.

Seems an obvious oversight on my side there. Whoops.

6. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *stares at screen, eagerly awaiting part iii*

7. MtP07

MtP07 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2005
    Please keep 'em coming, DS. :)

8. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No interest? I voted this "on-going" project as my favorite/best posts of last year. I'm pissed I have to wait at all.:mad:

Class, this thing is.

9. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Well I'm lookin forward to the next one.

10. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    My thoughts on whether to conitnue aren't far from this:

[​IMG]

motwyw

11. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    WHAT?!?! Not enough interest? What?!?!?!? Two words DS... Baited Breath

12. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Jabba breaks it down!

Eagerly awaiting the next chapter..

13. Sweetness

Sweetness Member

Aug 27, 2007
    haha, that is hilarious. if chelsea win either the league or champs league this year, will grant be the worst manager to have taken home either the premiership or cl title?

and yes, post more.

14. Twix

Twix New Member

Apr 28, 2007
  15. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    More please. These are a really great read.