The Winter of Our Discontent 14-15, the FO & Offseason

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by ScottyMac26, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    #1426 Starpork, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    I think Garfan's doing alright for himself down in Mexico. Sounds like the Chiapas move is working out for him, and it was getting to play MF in Chivas that helped that happen. Playing your preferred position in Liga MX is probably a step up from playing out of position in Philly.

Edit: Chiapas actually lists him as a defender, so IDK. Either way I think he prefers Mexico. He tried to break into Club America's first team before coming to Philly.

2. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Union postponed cocktails and cleats charity event due to "unavoidable conflict". Is this conflict a potential strike?

3. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or the venue uses the same interns as the Union.

4. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you. It also didn't help his cause playing in a midfield beside Keon and an aging and declining Brian Carroll. He had ZERO support in attack. That said, he was always more dangerous and seemed more comfortable playing out wide and being able to cut in. He always seemed most confident when he could run at defenders in space. Once Hack stuck him in the middle it killed his confidence. Man that 2012 and 2013 team were painful to watch!

UdiHrant repped this.
  5. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I found their wording curious, as well.

6. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Farfan scored a goal OR created an assist every 694.7777 (repeating) minutes. In other words, he created/scored a goal once every 7.2 games.

Freddy Adu created/scored a goal every 230.777 (repeating) minutes or once every 2.56 games.

Roger Torres created/scored a goal every 164.46 minutes or once every 1.83 games.

Why is it Marfan that only gets this defense? We never make this argument to defend Freddy Adu, despite him playing with the same players and having better stats than Marfan. Statistically, Marfan was worse than Freddy.

A lot of players have a good rookie season and then stagnate. Michael was one of them. He wouldn't be able to start on this team currently or perhaps even get off the bench.

Amscray and G-Ho Blue repped this.
  7. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You and most everyone know why this argument isn't made for the overhyped wunderkind. FA fell victim to playing alongside the same stiffs as Farfan did as well (they even played together at times in MF). Additionally FA is his own worst enemy with his attitude, lax training dedication, and questionable priorities off the field that have lead to his current situation.

Farfan is talented, but is he a starter? Not likely in today's MLS. The influx of foreign players is raising the level of play at a rapid clip. Farfan could be a nice piece to compliment other players, as a late substitute to change or see out a game. Exactly as he was used in 2011.

BuddhaWake repped this.
  8. Brinker

Brinker Member

Jul 14, 2014
    Paoli, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has to be the players not willing to show up at event if strike, so Union forced to move back to mid April when strike likely over.

9. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, I just don't see how you can say this with certainty, looking around the league. Is it impossible that Mike Farfan becomes as good as Paulo Nagamura? Or Baggio Husidic?

This part I agree with, actually. I would just add that it doesn't mean he couldn't have been useful in the right environment. FWIW I also agree Union's handling of Torres & Adu was foolish, and we give the FO something of a pass because everyone hates Freddy (which is partially his own fault, but still)!

10. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not following your point. As you compared Farfan and Torres, you said that Roger got goals and assists while he was on the field. So did Michael. I didn't realize we had to calculate the goals or assists per minute/game now. That there, my friend, is moving those proverbial goal posts.

And seriously, you gotta bring Beetlejuice into this thread?

Handsome Pete and Ruaidhri repped this.
  11. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I want to take things back to the initial post that started this whole conversation. Zac MacMath was critical of this team for not building around himself, the Farfans, and Jack. If Marfan is like a Nagamura, he is not someone you build around. He is, at best, the type of player that is meant to complement the players you actually are building around. Most of his reputation was built around a decent rookie year and constantly asking what if. I don't agree with Zac criticizing this team for selling him for value.

Well, you pointed out that Marfan had more assists. I wanted to show to show simply looking at assists wouldn't give you the most accurate picture. It's worth pointing out that those assists only came because he played a ton more minutes than Roger. If we are talking about young talent who didn't have the opportunity to develop, Michael is not one of them.

I brought in Adu as a reference point. Everyone likes to criticize his Union tenure, but it is telling that even he was a more productive player for this team than Marfan.

12. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I pointed out goals. Not assists.

13. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right. Good correction.The point still stands though that just looking at goals is misleading. Especially with that B.S. direct free-kick against Chivas USA (R.I.P).

Dills repped this.
  14. ChaseM

ChaseM Member

Jun 6, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked Marfan while he was here.
    I'd be curious to see if Curtin's Midas touch could have changed things with him if he could find where to play him and who to play him with.

Not missing too much sleep thinking about what could have been though.

15. G-Ho Blue

G-Ho Blue Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Philadelphia
    That was Marfan in a nutshell...one earth shattering golazo a year, and almost nothing else.

SOwannaB repped this.
  16. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did have that nutmeg thingie where he almost broke Heath Pierce's ankles a couple years back.

But the thing with Michael is that you could probably count all those types of things on 2 hands, when it was hoped/expected that he'd do that consistently.

17. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I think the team overall is better. I tried to follow along on the streams but tough to draw too many conclusions. But when did that ever stop us?
    The Good -
    Rais - he's looked strong. (Yes @Tyr youve been there all along)
    Nando - A striker who is quick to shoot and puts it on frame. Seems like a huge plus.
    Sheanon - looks more, hmmm, fit? Interested? Feisty? Improved? Something, even if he's just marginally better.
    Wenger - looks more and more comfortable in the role. I feel confident he can score.

The Almost Good -
    That midfield -I know Nogs had a Nok (see what I did?!), but he was pretty invisible in the RBNY game (training shirts and all). Cruz has looked like the roster deepening has caught up to his skill set. I'm not sold on Pfeffer. And I'd worry if the nonrunning Edu shows up and doesnt get back for the

The Bad -
    That back line needs work. I'm not sure if Ethan White from August 2014 is around, but it'd be great if he showed up. Vitoria is impressive on set pieces, but there was a ton of space for RBNY. One of the reasons Rais looked so acrobatic was he was under siege for some parts of that match.

The questions we'll find out the answer to (after a 17 day work stoppage*) - how good is the rest of the East? If there's an injury, can that bench step up (I'm looking at you Lahoud)? Will Casey look more and more like a badass hobo with that beard? How will Sapong break into the lineup - as a sub for Wenger,Maidana, or SLT, or all of the above?

*I'm going strong with that strike length prediction. Players will get an RFA status for 4-6 years of service, both can claim victory - FA/cost certainty. We saw this movie in "NHL Lockout 2012:This Time Its Personal".

18. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    This was pretty much the problem last season. Our First XI was competitive by the time Curtin figured things out. Our bench (minus Okugo) was barely NASL quality or otherwise players with potential played out of position (Ribero).

I'm excited for Nando if only because it allows us to intermittently use Casey as a bench option rather than running him into the ground for 3 games in 8-9 days as happened in July last year.

cwelch999, Doop and Handsome Pete repped this.
  19. breslinp

breslinp Member+

Jan 20, 2010
    Malvern, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NHL strike lasted a lot longer than 17 days. Does this 14 days everyone is predicting have any basis (i.e. time length before players' union fund runs out)? I think a strike hurts the owners most opening weekend. 100,000 tickets are sold for Sunday's games and all 3 games are on National TV with new contracts. If they were going to concede something, I'm not sure why they would do it 2 weeks from now instead of just now?

20. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OCSC just announced they've #FilledTheBowl and sold 60k for their home opener.

21. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    It's funny to see predictions about strike length. The whole point is to see how long it takes for one side to cave. I think the one-two weeks just reflects how neutral observers are judging each side's overall appetite for a work stoppage, rather than any actual plan.

22. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Yes, the NHL lockout lasted much longer. I was referring to the underlying issues of pay and player movement vs cost certainty.

Why not now instead of a short strike? The optics are much worse for the owners to miss the opener than the players, so it's pretty much the MLSPA's leverage. The owners are thinking they have a deeper warchest and will get the rank and file to fold. It will go to the wire.

23. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And all this time, hasn't the Don been saying how much money the league doesn't have?

Doop and Handsome Pete repped this.
  24. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Every day.

25. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    If the players strike on the opening weekends, it will seriously diminish the ownership's urgency to get a deal done. I personally think they either get a last minute deal done, or the work stoppage ends up being longer than two weeks. But who knows.

breslinp repped this.