The Way Out Of The Darkness: The Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester City' started by MVF, Jun 26, 2007.

1. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    It's confirmed.

Sven will be managing at COMS next year.

Who will be the main targets. Who do we need ?

It seems our first target is not a player, but an assistant

Eriksson targets Sweden assistant Roland Andersson

Sweden's assistant manager, Roland Andersson, says Sven-Goran Eriksson has contacted him about being his number two at Manchester City.

Eriksson, 59, is considering an offer to take over as City boss as part of the prospective takeover of the club by Thaksin Shinawatra.

"I am flattered but, to really consider it, he has to have the position of manager first," said Andersson, 57.

"If he is not the manager, there is nothing to discuss."

Andersson has been the assistant manager of Sweden since 2004 and his deal expires next year.

He won 19 caps for the national team during his career as a player and was a member of his country's 1978 World Cup squad.

He won the Swedish league title four times and the Swedish Cup three times with Malmo.

And he was part of the Malmo side which reached the European Cup final in 1979 when his side lost to Nottingham Forest.

"I have a fantastic job as Sweden's assistant coach," added Andersson, who says he has known Eriksson and his former England assistant, Tord Grip, for "many years".

"I have informed Sweden coach Lars Lagerback and the people at the FA that I have had this conversation with Sven.

"But, as long as there is no concrete offer to take into consideration, there is nothing to discuss."

2. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Thaksin Shinawatra has set his sights on bringing Shaun Wright-Phillips back to Manchester City when his takeover is complete. (The Sun)

3. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Tottenham will listen to offers for Jermain Defoe once they complete the signing of Charlton's Darren Bent. (Daily Mirror)

Could we ? Would be a great signing if we could get him ..

4. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Sven-Goran Eriksson will make Middlesbrough striker Yakubu his first signing. (Daily Mirror)

Martin O'Neill is to launch a fresh £8m bid for West Ham's Nigel Reo-Coker. (Various)

O'Neill may have to fight off an attempted hijack of the move by prospective Man City boss Sven-Goran Eriksson. (The Times)

Shaun Wright-Phillips will reject a move to Man City if Sven-Goran Eriksson takes over. (Daily Mail)

Prospective Man City owner Thaksin Shinawatra has taken his holding in the club to 65% (The Sun)

5. South East Citizen

South East Citizen New Member

Jul 4, 2006
    Exiled in Kent
    Linked with Anelka and Benni McCarthy today. We're gonna have to get used to us being linked with every player under the sun over the next couple of months.

Reo Coker is the most over-rated player in the Premiership, no way is he worth £8m. Had an absolute shocker last season.

6. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I think Yakubu would be a good fit at city. What do you others think ??

7. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saviola, would be nice. Yakubu is a beast, and would def be an improvement from last year. But at the end of the day, NERY CASTILLO is the man I think who could get City movin in the right direction.... and I still think Darren Bent needs to play in the prem.

8. Brava Rookie

Brava Rookie Member

Oct 4, 2005
    VA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with Castillo, it's a matter of whether he would want to move to England. He can definetly be brought in for a good price and he's a beast down the wing. Regardless, SEC is correct in that every player under the sun is going to be connected with us for a while.

9. Brava Rookie

Brava Rookie Member

Oct 4, 2005
    VA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bent just signed with Spurs for 16.5 mil

10. Ami05

Ami05 Member

Apr 28, 2005
    California
    Yossi Benayoun is said to be in talks as well to come down to man city.

11. Alan D

Alan D New Member

Nov 5, 2005
    York
    Over the last few days we've been linked with West Ham pair Benayoun and Reo-Coker http://tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=45793 along with Owen, again, and Defoe, who is likely to leave Spurs due to the £16.5m arrival of Bent. Defoe has struggled to constantly hold down a first-team spot and he should be even further down the order with Bent there now, so he may well consider moving. We have to realise that even though we are being linked with top players, the takeover still hasn't gone through and its likely these players have other interest as well from bigger clubs. I trust SGE with the £50m to build a good, capable squad and hopefully we can build towards some success. Hopefully Shinawatra will get his 75% control early next week so we can really start moving on. Benayoun would be a great buy for us and I am a big fan of the Yak. I'm not too picky, either will do :D ;) We've also been linked with Thiago Motta (Barcelona)

12. Frankfurt Blue

Sep 3, 2003
    Doytshlund
    The rumour of SWP and the reaction of Ian Wright made me laugh. It was said elsewhere that Ian Wright said SWP would never play under SGE due to lack of England appearances. Someone on another site pointed out what a plonker Ian Wright is, as is usually the case, since SGE gave SWP his first England start whilst at City and SWP's lack of England call ups are due to the move to Chelsea where he was either benched or in poor form. Nothing to do with SGE. But plonker Ian Wright sees it differently and that's why he won't be playing under SGE at the COMS.
    How to talk shit and ruin your son's career, by Ian Wright, spouter of shite.

13. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    It's nice to be optimistic and think all these big names might consider the team but deep down I really doubt we will have any big name players join us this season. Mainly because even after the takeover the club is still in a state of change.

I think the goal of this season has to be building a squad to get into the top 10 and put on competitive games against the top 6-8 teams in the league. A guy like Defoe is nice but does he want to come to a team that is probably 2 seasons away from getting into europe? or play full time for a coach who didnt think he was worthwhile to take to the wc. Plus he will cost a lot, maybe even more than 3 or 4 good/decent players of other positions.

The important thing is to fill the void - for me #1 priority is a center back and 2 center mids. Corradi and Samaras were very disappointing but no one can really doubt they have the ability. I'd hold off on spending huge amounts on a fwd before we find people who can control the game and get the ball up front

14. Giallorossiguy

Giallorossiguy New Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Welllll........... We will have 50million so whyyyy not get Lamps?

I am actually really pissed off with how long this all is taking

15. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I thought the big announcement day was Wednesday .. i'm not sure about time crossing over but it's 2 pm, Thursday in Australia, and no announcement.

16. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Well Thakshin has gained 75% as of now.

Erikkson should be announced today, and the signings start.

17. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
  18. Brava Rookie

Brava Rookie Member

Oct 4, 2005
    VA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, so we're through with that nonsense, now lets bring in some quality players.

19. Alan D

Alan D New Member

Nov 5, 2005
    York
    ITS FINALLY HAPPENED! I THOUGHT I'D NEVER LIVE THE DAY!!!!

YEEEEEEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE HAVE MONEY AT LAST :) God, I nearly died at the thought of having pennies to spend on new players but now we have millions millions millions! Its gonna be a busy few weeks but Im so glad its done and dusted. We can concentrate on new players and hopefully get some quality back in the side. We need a lot of players and more could leave so we could do with 10 more players tbh. YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEA

So who do you reckon the first signing will be? Apparently is Elmander!

By the way, even with £50m to spend we don't wanna waste half of it on one player like Lampard!

20. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Especially on that fat lardball ;).

Never liked lampard to be honest with you.

Elmander sounds good.

But i really like the sounds of Yakubu !!

21. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
    Nicky weaver joins Charlton

22. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shit. I didn't believe you at first, but it's true.

Andreas, you gotta step up. I like Kasper, but not for another couple years.

23. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    And it's on a free as well... damn.

Andreas is a good keeper. He will step up.

24. j.fisher

j.fisher So Much Better

May 3, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate people who claim they have a "2nd club". But if I wasn't so stuck in my ways City would be mine. Here's hoping things start turning up for all the City fans.. the REAL Manchester team.

25. Alan D

Alan D New Member

Nov 5, 2005
    York
    Great post :) Can you boys down south do us a favour next season and take back the title? I don't think we'll be challenging for it just yet :D Im sick of all the rag fans coming out of their caves whenever they get a bit of success and then going into hiding when they don't.