The War in Iraq has cost 150,000 American lives

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by BenReilly, Nov 8, 2004.

1. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    150,000 American lives have been wasted in the Iraq war. A cookie for anyone who can figure out (generally speaking) how I arrived at that accurate figure.

2. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    A Lancet study?

3. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm talking about Americans, not Iraqis.

4. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Casualties? Amputations, and such?

5. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasted semen? I'm sure there's a higher-than-average amount of jerking off going on over there. Lord knows I'd need lotion after a few months away from home.

6. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Roughly 150,000 troops are over there at any given time and not contributing to the domestic work force?? Interesting point if that's what you're getting at, but it's unfair to include military regulars in that figure, only Reserve/NG troops.

7. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    It's also pretty misleading to characterize that as "wasted lives" in the same arena where men and women are getting killed. Hopefully that's not what Ben's going for.

Because I disapprove, by golly.

8. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exit polling?

9. He's In Fashion

Jan 7, 2000
    Littlefun, CO, US
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're using a Deibold machine?

10. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Death count in Iraq plus the number of BigSoccer posters who mindlessly drone on and on about it?

11. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Money to pay for it transferred from some other health/public wellness program?

12. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Alex gets a cookie crumb. I would never describe American soldiers risking their lives for our country as wasting their lives. I have too much respect for them to say anything like that.

The figure is roughly the amount of money 150,000 typical Americans would earn in their entire lifetime. So, in fact, we've devoted 150,000 people's entire working lives to this war. If we devoted a similar amount of resources to health care, auto safety, road saftey, ect. we would save a substantial number of lives.

Sorry to be a tad hyperbolic and possibly get your disapproval, but I wanted to put into perspective the enormous resources we're putting in to this war. Dollar figures don't seem to do the trick.

Having said that, whether these 150,000 average American working lives have been wasted or not depends on future events, but make no mistake about what we're devoting to this war. A war we were promised would pay for itself.

13. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    That deserves a cookie :)

14. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    In fairness, the War on Terror has cost an additional $25+ billion dollars when you add in the cost to the US economy of the 911 attack.

15. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Please tell me how you've come up with that figure.

16. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    It's like Bush decided to put the war on OUR credit cards. Well, the payments will be difficult to make, and that takes our hard earned dollars away from things we should be spending it on.

17. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ben, I'll be in KC a week and a half from now. Can I really stop by to get a cookie if I get it right? what about a happy meal instead? :D

18. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Some tax reformers like to look at Tax Freedom Day, as the first day that you've completely paid your taxes and can accumulate your income as your own, rather than for some government entity.

I propose two other adding two other freedom days (although most Bush supporters need to pull down their pants to count to three.)

Debt freedom day - US debt is at $7,500,000,000,000. Short-term T-bills are paying just over 2%, or $150,000,000,000 per year. Every worker needs to put in 3 days of work to cover the national debt. This does not even buy down the debt, just servicing the interest payments.

Iraq war cost freedom day - $180B/20 months = $9B/month, or annualized at $108,000,000,000/year. The size of the US economy is $11,000,000,000,000, so the war cost is about 1%of the US GDP. In other words, every American worker needs to work 2.5 days per year to pay for the war. (or about 150,000 workers for an entire year.)

We can call the extra week of work "Bush week" in honor of our incompetent leader.

19. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    Actually it was a Stephen Forbes quote about a year ago on CCN Finance network. It included replacement cost of the towers, projected insurance settlements to victim's families, lost revenue for businesses affected directly or indirectly by the attack, etc.

20. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So not only is it a year old, but it doesn't take into account the military and homeland security dollars, not to mention what the average citizen has spent on duct tape and Hefty bags in acticipation of a chemical attack.

21. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

CHEMICAL ATTACK??? WHERE!

22. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    In a NY Times article about vaccine development a couple of weeks ago, the figure $1 million (or something like that) was mentioned as the bottomline for the worth of an average US life (in terms of how the federal government/public health authorities decide how to distribute limited resources). For example, spending $1 billion dollars to develop a new vaccine that can save 100 lives is not justifiable. If that vaccine can save 2,000 lives, its development may be worth funding. (What was not totally clear to me from that article was whether that $1 million was for each life or each life/year. I just assumed that it was for each life.