The Vegalta Sendai Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese Club Football' started by Vegalta_Sendai, Jul 26, 2010.

1. artml

artml Member

Liverpool FC
    Ukraine
    Jul 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Now you know how we felt after the first round ;)

2. Vegalta_Sendai

Feb 14, 2000
    Santa Clara, CA, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it's crazy... Vegalta have now beaten Omiya 3 times this year: Once at home in round 2 (3-1), and twice away (4-0 in the Nabisco Cup, and 3-0 in the league). I wish Vegalta could play Ardija every week! Or rather, play like they do against Ardija every week...

3. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Okubo out two months and Vissel playing dreadful... you guys have a lifeline...

4. fc koshigaya

fc koshigaya Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Saitama City,Japan
    Club:
    Omiya Ardija
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you do survive, you should at least send us a thank you card.

Flowers would be nice, maybe candy. You have time to think about it.

5. Vegalta_Sendai

Feb 14, 2000
    Santa Clara, CA, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *Maybe*... Like I said before, Vegalta has already lost some games to fellow relegation candidates. Away 0-1 to Shonan Bellmare (unacceptable), at home to Vissel (0-1 loss, the first loss at Yurtec after the long unbeaten streak there), and away 2-1 to Kyoto in round 3 (as you said, with the offside goal...). That's potentially 9 points or even 3 that could've come in handy. Now, *if* (and if they can't, they really don't deserve to stay up) Vegalta beat Shonan at home on Saturday, they'll be on 21 points, and probably temporarily out of the relegation zone...

The only problem is their remaining games:

22: @Kashima
    23: Yamagata
    24: @Yokohama FM
    25: @Nagoya
    26: FC Tokyo
    27: @Cerezo
    28: Kyoto Sanga
    29: @Kobe
    30: Jubilo Iwata
    31: S-Pulse
    32: @Niigata
    33: @Hiroshima
    34: Kawasaki Frontale

Basically, they're going to have to win all their 6 point swing games, (FC Tokyo, Kyoto, Kobe, and Iwata), and then hope for some upsets here and there. Luckily, I think the team on the field (with Akamine, Ryang, and Fernandinho) is where I want it to be (no more Nakajima... He's injured anyway). I only wish Sendai had had this line-up since the start of the season... :-/

6. Vegalta_Sendai

Feb 14, 2000
    Santa Clara, CA, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For comparison, here's Vissel's remaining games:

21: FC Tokyo
    22: @Kyoto
    23: @Hiroshima
    24: Cerezo
    25: Kawasaki Frontale
    26: @Yokohama FM
    27: Nagoya
    28: @Gamba
    29: Sendai
    30: @Niigata
    31: Kashima
    32: @Omiya
    33: S-Pulse
    34: @Urawa

Hmm... Looking at this, I'd say Vegalta have the easier schedule... Vegalta and Vissel both have 7 home games left, but Vegalta's are theoretically much easier (Shonan, Yamagata (Michinoku Derby), FC Tokyo, Kyoto, Iwata, and Kawasaki). You're right! There may be hope yet!

7. Vegalta_Sendai

Feb 14, 2000
    Santa Clara, CA, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kashima - Sendai highlights:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7bBXzh3IUs"]YouTube - 2010 J.League Division1 ?22? ??vs??[/ame]

I didn't get to see the game last night, as I was out (I don't know if it was even on justin), but the result is about what I expected. It is frustrating to have Fernandinho and Akamine injured right now; they surely could've contributed something yesterday. Hopefully they will be fit for the Michinoku Derby next week (I was hoping to see that game in person, actually, but my company isn't sending me to Tokyo Game Show this year).

8. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Overall Antlers deserved to win, but Vegalta was robbed of a PK. Though luck!

9. karolb

karolb Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Vegalta could make pressure on Kashima in the final 15mins or so, but overall Kashima deserved the win yea. Things could have been a lot easier for them if they scored the 2nd, and they had some chances after counter attacks.

10. Vegalta_Sendai

Feb 14, 2000
    Santa Clara, CA, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vegalta with the same starting lineup they used in last week's loss against Kashima. I guess Teguramori figures if they only lost 1-0 to Kashima, the same lineup should beat the weaker Yamagata side. ;)

Some good news, though: Akamine is on the bench! Unfortunately, Fernandinho isn't, even though Teguramori said he'd be back for the Kashima game...

Anyway, it's Michinoku Derby time!

11. Vegalta_Sendai

Feb 14, 2000
    Santa Clara, CA, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pitch at Miyagi Stadium is apparently in bad condition...

12. Vegalta_Sendai

Feb 14, 2000
    Santa Clara, CA, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goal Ryang!!!!!!!!! Scores off a free kick! 1-0 Sendai!

13. fc koshigaya

fc koshigaya Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Saitama City,Japan
    Club:
    Omiya Ardija
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does it have the small hill in the penalty area again?

14. Vegalta_Sendai

Feb 14, 2000
    Santa Clara, CA, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha ha ha! I'm not sure... I'm following on radio...

15. Vegalta_Sendai

Feb 14, 2000
    Santa Clara, CA, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ryang adds to the lead with a second! Sendai leads 2-0 with about 10 minutes left!

16. Vegalta_Sendai

Feb 14, 2000
    Santa Clara, CA, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Full time! Sendai wins 2-0, and moves into 13th place!

17. Vegalta_Sendai

Feb 14, 2000
    Santa Clara, CA, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Full time, Vegalta Sendai 3, FC Tokyo 2! Wow, I wish I could've seen this game live (I followed on Vegalta's internet radio stream)... Goals by Elizeu in the 86th minute and Fernandinho in the 90th give Sendai a come-from-behind win and a *huge* 3 points!

Obviously, this by no means guarantees Sendai will stay up this year, but with 30 points and 8 games left, it's really in their hands now.

Wow. I'll have to find the highlights of this game soon! :)

18. Vegalta_Sendai

Feb 14, 2000
    Santa Clara, CA, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bad result for Sendai in the Yokohama F Marinos - FC Tokyo match... If Kobe wins tonight, it could get even worse.

The big problem is Sendai's schedule. The last 5 games:

vs. Jubilo
    vs. Shimizu
    at Niigata
    at Hiroshima
    vs. Kawasaki

Not really an "easy" one in the bunch... If Vegalta can beat Jubilo tonight, I'll feel a lot better, but getting points in the last 4 games will not be easy...

19. Vegalta_Sendai

Feb 14, 2000
    Santa Clara, CA, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, I wasn't expecting such a game from Sendai tonight! 3-0 over Jubilo! Goals by Nakahara, Jiro Kamata, and Nakashima(!) gives Sendai the victory! It's Nakashima's first goal ever in J1! I'll put aside my hate for him for tonight. ;-)

More importantly (if I recall), Sendai's first 2 goals were set up by corner kicks earned by Akamine, and both goals were assisted by Ryang. Just goes to show you don't need to score to have an impact.

Additionally, Yamagata's 3-3 tie with Cerezo means Sendai are in 12th place now on 37 points! Even with Sendai's tough schedule coming up, this *should* be enough to keep them up (although I don't want to speak too soon...).

20. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Safety quotes in past four season:

- 2006 = 28
    - 2007 = 33
    - 2008 = 38
    - 2009 = 35

You should be OK... :)

My (honest) question is: would have you been OK without Akamine?

21. Vegalta_Sendai

Feb 14, 2000
    Santa Clara, CA, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sendai give up a goal in stoppage time and draw Niigata 1-1 after an goal in the 78th minute by Akamine... This, combined with Omiya's 2-2 draw with Kobe, likely means Sendai are safe. Sendai are on 38 points, and Kobe are on 32 points, so, unless something really wacky happens, Vegalta are staying up.

Also, I didn't see the game, but did listen to it on radio/follow on twitter, and there were calls that the free kick that lead to the goal was a dive, and that Atomu Tanaka was offside on the goal... Anyway, it doesn't really matter, though I would have liked the win an a 残留 party tonight. ;)

Also, to answer your question, Goru, no! I don't think we would have stayed up without Akamine! He came in at a time when Sendai was at the lowest of low points... They were 3-5-9 and on 14 points when he joined the team. They are 7-3-5 since. :) Also, while a lot of fans were saying "We'll definitely stay up!" before he came, after he started playing, I think they actually started believing it. :)

22. Vegalta_Sendai

Feb 14, 2000
    Santa Clara, CA, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like the equalizing goal by Niigata *was* offside...:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFv_FpmLx_c"]YouTube - 2010?J1??32????vs???J??????[/ame]

Oh well, shouganai ne...

23. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Wait, I am confused. It seems like the defender touched it.....

24. Vegalta_Sendai

Feb 14, 2000
    Santa Clara, CA, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blah, that's what blind devotion will do to you. ;) I didn't even notice that, and was completely focused on when the pass was made to Tanaka...

The defender was Ryang, too... :(

25. stefanole

stefanole Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Hiroshima
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Well that drew my attention ;) But yes I think it was the correct decision to allow the goal. With the laws and interpretations as they stand, it would have been offside if the ball had "rebounded" off the defender. I think though that since the defender seemed to be trying to play the ball back to the goalkeeper for him to clear it, that creates a new phase of play (one where the attacker is onside because the ball was played by an opponent).

It's borderline though and shows how much the laws are based on a continuum of considerations rather than black and white. Do you (anyone) agree that it was played back deliberately, or would you consider it a rebound?