The US Supreme Court Thread - Post Roe v. Wade reversal edition

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Jun 27, 2022.

1. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I like the cut of your jib.

InTheSun and Deadtigers repped this.
  2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

3. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You simplify complicated things for convenience.

4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree, but pro-Conservative and pro-Trump are two different things. Listening to and reading conservatives, they still have a belief in the rule-of-law and institutions of the US Government. Trump and his devotees don't believe in either of those.

5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Actually, I simplified it. It shouldn't be complicated for you anyhow. You have at least an M.Ed or the admin equivalent.

6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shall we just get to the list where all people in some group or persuasion are all alike?

Deadtigers repped this.
  7. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    'Nutter, that Venn Diagram is a circle and has been for decades. It is. I'm sorry.

Why do you think they fap about small government? It's because court cases like Brown V. Board ("Judicial Activism/legislating from the bench") and writings like the Emancipation Proclamation make mainstream everyday conservatives feel like they've lost their privilege. Yes, even tho slavery hasn't been a thing for several generations here, they still pine for it even tho they didn't technically live it. The flags should remjnd you that returning to that time is a long-term goal. Git loud, git proud.

Funkfoot and Deadtigers repped this.
  8. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We've been there for decades. You and I both were born into that world, but I can't make your horse drink.

Deadtigers repped this.
  9. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn’t hit the link but that Peter Sellers character on the thumbnail was based on…Teller I think? One of those guys. It wasn’t random.

And IIRC Jack T. Ripper was Curtis Lemay.

So your point is eluding me.

10. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know that old lumper vs. splitter thing? He’s the ultimate lumper.

11. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More than one reason. You hit a big one, arguably the biggest.

But the SC’s history of ignominy isn’t just from Dred Scott or Plessy. It’s also in corporate personhood and why we only have an income tax because of a constitutional amendment. It’s also in the events that make the late 1930s our reference point for court packing.

Knowledge needs both depth and breadth to be useful.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  12. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Agreed. It just turned out the MAGA group was much bigger than the 'real' conservatives, and also many conservatives decided to simply abandon their beliefs in favour of events on the ground.

We don't need to speculate about any of this. Many of these people wrote about it - eg the Judge Luttig crowd was last off the train over J6. The first ones off the train were the Bill Kristol/Charlie Sykes crowd. In the end they are probably less than 10% of the former GOP

We can dislike Mitt Romney without having to pretend he is the same as a Trumper. He's just disappointing how little and weakly he resisted.

Deadtigers repped this.
  13. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    Man, I step away for a couple days to learn how to make this place better and find out someone lost their sarcasm meter and everyone attempting to explain humor to him.

I can't wait for the Trump of the Left to lead us to ruin. It's going to be way worse than anything we can imagine now.

That was sarcasm, my friend.

And yes, I'm well aware that Conservatives work backwards. They describe the outcome and game our what thin veneer of bull**** is needed to placate the MSM and rubes, while their base is howling from how loud the dog whistling is. I know McTurtle didn't really mean that BS under Obama because he reversed under Trump, like the SC does on anything they don't like. The past means nothing to them, only the subjugation of those they don't like, but find useful, and elimination of those they hate.

It's why Christians on death row get priests and Muslims get....priests. It's why Evangelicals can discriminate against gays and can have publicly funded crosses and schools, but not anyone else.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

14. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But this raises and existential question: why did he weakly resist? And that question is put to the larger resisters/conservatives. Romney is a Republican, but he also talked both about how others didn't vote to impeach Trump because of fear, and how he became isolated because of his anti-Trump views and actions. Politicians, to be effective, need friends. But why do conservatives who would typically not support Trump switch? And why do some of them quit. Yes, Trump is the leader of a cult, but who of those on the Red side of Congress are devotees (cultists) and who are there for convenience (power hungry) and who are malleable like Graham? Yes, those are the leaders of the party (because they are in Congress) and they can certainly come up for criticism for not standing up to Trump. But, again, that issue goes back to safety. Theoretically, I can say they are cowards for not standing up, but they are human and have human behaviors.

But what about the voters? Even if we look at the insurrection, there many people who were afraid to enter the Capitol Building for fear. They are cultists, but there was a limit to how far they were willing to go. And we should look at that as a wedge, a way to separate those who are not devoted cultists from the cultists. We should tap into the fact the only way to be truly safe is to keep Trump and his cult out of office.

15. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He doesn't do sarcasm.

Mike03, Sounders78 and ElNaranja repped this.
  16. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Thomas, Alito and Roberts were old school conservative pics and you can argue they have been the most morally corrupt of the conservative majority. They gutted the VRA and supported the destruction of Affirmative Action. You are arguing the difference Crow and a Raven but they are both similar and bedfellows.

diablodelsol repped this.
  17. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Drax the Destroyer. He should be called SuperDrax.

ElNaranja repped this.
  18. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yes - they have a collective action problem, best illustrated after Jan 6, or when Trump was low after the '22 midterms and indictment. They could have just collectively shut the door.

I guess because I've listened to right of centre liberal media for 4 years, i don't fund any of this mysterious. All the individual stories have been documented so many times. There is no one reason.

Sure - that is why efforts to chip off some of the Haley vote matter. 20% of GOP primary voters did not want Trump. If you can get some of them to stay home or switch in '24 it could be the difference - especially in places like Arizona.

soccernutter repped this.
  19. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Corruption is a defining feature of democratic backsliding. This is actually much better analysis than claiming Alito is like Trump. Alito and Thomas are corrupt ideologues which is a huge problem, and part of the reason we got to this place. If they were the Judge Luttig type, they would have thrown Trump off the ballot.

superdave repped this.
  20. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

MattR repped this.
  21. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Josh has said the quiet part loud......

The Court is Corrupt. Say It With Me.

I was watching cable news this afternoon at the gym. And I saw one of those examples of what has now become a Trump/Roberts Court-era set piece, where principled and very smart lawyers and/or legal academics have to say, I guess I was a chump.

Sure the Roberts Court is partisan, I thought. But there’s a threshold level belief in the rule of law. I’m not trying to make hay out of others’ mistakes. My guiding heuristic has been that the Roberts Court, especially in its post-2017 iteration is thoroughly corrupt and will generally do whatever is in the interests of the GOP so long as it doesn’t put too big a dent in the Court’s own perceived legitimacy and elite social standing. Based on this standard I assumed the Court would settle for delaying Trump’s trial until the Fall. It seems now that they’re likely to kick it back to the trial Court for further fact-finding and thus the case itself well into 2025.

Fair enough.

Everything comes into conceptual alignment if we understand the Court’s corruption: corrupt in its construction, corrupt in its jurisprudence, venally corrupt as well, though that is the least of its problems.

On this show I still saw people saying things like, “I hope this isn’t the case.” “I hope I’m wrong.” Don’t hope you’re wrong. This just leaves us still in some hunt for the silver lining in the Court’s corruption. Or even worse, this undermines faith in the Court. No. We don’t want to shore up faith in a corrupt institution.

We are where we should know we are. The Roberts Court is a corrupt institution which operates in concert with and on behalf of the Republican Party and to an ambiguous degree right-wing anti-regulatory ideology. If we believe in a different set of policies or even democratic self-governance we will have to succeed at that with the Supreme Court acting as a consistent adversary.

That’s the challenge in front of us. It sucks. But things become more clear cut once we take the plunge and accept that fact. Swallow it whole.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/the-court-is-corrupt-say-it-with-me

22. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Mike03 repped this.
  23. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Mike03

Mike03 Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody, OK? The supreme court said so because I have absolute immunity. It's, like, incredible.

dapip, Auriaprottu, xtomx and 2 others repped this.
  25. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I think this is a classic example of normalcy bias - especially by the media

They stand around wondering what the SC will rule which is completely the wrong framework. The fact that Judges Trump appointed are considering whether the president has immunity for 'official criminal acts' is bonkers!

Were the court legit, it would have acted on an expedited basis to say "whatever the more esoteric questions, it's clear you don't get immunity for a coup"