News: THE UNITED SAVES OF AMERICATHE UNIT -WSD vs. Becks vs. Who's done it.

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Zitor, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Zitor

Zitor New Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Chicago
    THE UNITED SAVES OF AMERICA

I love WSD, I download its mp3, burn a read-write-able CD everyday and play it in my car while I drive. I got used to the dynamics, the interviews, sometimes I laugh, sometimes it makes me mad. I am not a caller nor I ever will be. I am not complainer either, but I have read many encountered opinions in here that also makes me mad or makes me laugh. Steven closed 2008 with his justification of his anti-hero Mr. D.B, which I am not going to defend either. It is what it is. It's just funny to find a newspaper interviewing a Houston Dynamo player from England talking about the same subject but giving a total opposite view of the one who almost everyday seeds an opinion in my brain. Though he always says it is a free market, I will listen to the show, with the same open mind, because the alternatives don't convinced me either.
    I hope you enjoy what is in the link to read, and it kind of has the same expectation I have for MLS. As far as Steven goes, it satisfy one need the entertainment, even though his opinions are not the truth nor the rule in soccer and that is good, too. (I put together a site, check it out, and play the game if you wish).

2. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The author just couldn't help himself could he? Too much praise for the game here had to be leavened with a classic dose of British arrogance. Because you know no celebrities ever show up to Premier League matches, no British club has a goofy mascot, and they would never do anything like let little kids walk out on the field with the players. :rolleyes:

3. Zitor

Zitor New Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Chicago
    David Beckham: LA Galaxy move a proven success

David Beckham: LA Galaxy move a proven success

The title of my thread got messed up with my cut and past.
    World Soccer Daily and Steven Cohen's own opinion of making MLS and David Beckham a failure. Some people think differently, but this other people don't have followers or daily listeners.

4. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    So basically you bought a piece of crap, from a piece of crap. You just had to put money in his pockets for that. Good job Zitor. Your helping out the shmuck.

5. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Of course. It's all foreign talent that's improving the league.

Funny.

6. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    They also have cheerleaders in England. In the Prem...ahhhh.

7. theleftside

theleftside Member

May 29, 2007
    Yuma AZ/Oxnard CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Caig is probably the worst keeper in MLS.

8. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not during the game they don't, and a huge number don't even have them at all.

Pretty remarkable that in article praising MLS and talking about the big strides forward the league has made, anyone not clicking the link reading this thread would think the article was slating the league.

9. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    That's MLS fan paranoia for you...

10. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that I'd really disagree per se but these are his final stats for the year:

7GP 602MIN 24SVS 1.20GAA 3SHO

That's better than any other comparable back-up sans Dane Kennedy

Go fig.

11. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that many MLS teams have them either. Which is the point.

Seeing as I'm the one who brought it up, I'll explain. Yes, the article is 90% positive about the league but after all the praise the author just had to throw in the usual, boring, hackneyed "oh in the States they make it all showbiz" crap about cheerleaders and celebrities as if we are the only ones in the world who have them. Thusly in my opinion turning a good article from Over There down two notches into a paternalistic pat-on-the-head.

12. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Pure paranoia. That article is so overwhelmmingly positive, it's baffling that anyone would get bent out of shape by one comment about "razzmatazz before games" - hardly an inaccurate comment anyway. I think some folks just aren't satisified unless they can find something to moan about.

13. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    Generally speaking (that is, not specific to this article) the notion that MLS matches are full of some kind of distracting "razmataz" is a stereotype with debateable connection to reality. And yes, people will generally be irritated by what they perceive as inaccurate stereotypes, whether they are applied in isolation or in the context of an otherwise positive commentary. That's just the way people are.

And anyway, I haven't noticed any perceptible difference in the way games are presented on either side of the Atlantic, but maybe I'm just missing the MLS games with the cheerleaders. (How many MLS clubs really have cheerleaders anyway?)

14. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I complimented you for an hour an ended it with a comment unconnected to reality and a stereotype about where you're from unconnected with actual reality, wouldn't that sort of taint all the nice things I said about you? Is that paranoia?

Or here, let's try this:

"The English Premier League is the greatest league in the world, with the best players, best stadiums and amazing history. No league in the world is better. You should not consider your soccer life fully lived until you see an EPL match. As long as you can deal with the rampant hooliganism, bad food at grounds, and casual racism of some of the fans. You know the Brits."

See what I did there?

That's pretty much my attitude here.

I know Colorado, Chivas, Houston, and Columbus do. I'm surprised the Revs don't. I'm not upset about it, I'm just surprised.

15. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    If you are trying to equate a comment about "razzmatazz before games" with an attempted "stereotypical comment" about rampant hooliganism and casual racism then there really is nothing to discuss.

Houston being the team the article is about, of course.