The U.S. U-19 Program (2022 season)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by EXALIFTIN, Apr 5, 2022.

1. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    One thing the USSF should think about. By early next week it’s possible that FIFA will hit El Salvador with a multi year ban because of government interference in the soccer association. If that happens, it would make a lot of sense to invite the dual national players to a US camp. Even though they are provisionally cap-tied, I can see them considering filing a one time switch if the USA rates them. They would be perfect players to take to the Pan American Games.

Winoman, ussoccer97531 and TheFalseNine repped this.
  2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Santiago Suarez listed by Sac Republic as 6-5. That's a big kid.

Winoman, ussoccer97531 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Camp starts today. I haven't seen anything about any matches that could be played.

Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Everyone's fair game, but surely there would be no point in filing a switch before there's a sense a country really wants to play you in a competition for which doing so would be necessary? In the meantime, absolutely, call anyone and everyone into camps you think you'd like to have in them! (And if those guys in the ES program don't have anywhere else to go, and maybe even if they do, they should accept nonbinding invitations, even if they're not sure they want to change for good. Life's too short.)

Winoman repped this.
  5. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    A lot depends on the punishment FIFA dishes out. If it’s a death sentence past the 2026 World Cup than the players will be thinking hard about switching to another country. Several probably have options like Mexico as well as the USA. I think they should get at least a call in to see if they like the way USSF treats them. Any of those guys could blow up in the next few years and move into a possibility for a role.

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  6. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  7. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

gogorath and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ckajMonet and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

ChuckMe92, ussoccer97531 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  10. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    John Hackworth confirmed this in a media interview today. The USSF has consistently been bringing in one to three players to U19 and U20 camps who were not part of the roster announcement.

ussoccer97531 and TheFalseNine repped this.
  11. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pl@ymaker, Winoman and Brotheryoungbuck repped this.
  12. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dave, where are you seeing this schedule? I don't see anything on the US Soccer website that has a list of YNT friendlies.

13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Was just referring to this one (which includes a GYNT match that's today):

https://www.ussoccer.com/all-matches

TheFalseNine and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  14. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    After COVID, lawsuits, paying Klinnsy all of his money, etc, here‘s hoping the Fed can start filling out it‘s staff a bit.

There should be no excuse whatsoever after the expected 2026 windfall.

I have some sympathy when I consider what has been going on, understand that our Fed isn‘t as rich as we like to think it is, and has to spread it around. The fact that we only started building a legitimate, pro structure only when Earnie was hired, a mere 4 years ago, with those limitations, there should be a bit of leeway give.

Anyone who thinks that getting info out like this is easy, and important, should volunteer for free and get it done int he meantime!:D

Your service would be appreciated.

Pegasus repped this.
  15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Have you noticed how much work people do here free of charge on behalf of other fans? Not saying U.S. Soccer should use them as free labor, but I suspect that if they asked for some, they'd get it.

16. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, 100%. Absolutely.

17. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Massive implications that come with that these days.

Just not that simple anymore.

Won‘t go into it but the liability just isn‘t worth it. The releases and sign offs would not be worth the time and cost.
    The labor implication, working for free, would be a PR nightmare. If you have run anything recently you will understand.

The days of doing something in good faith, or good will are long gone. Trust me, it‘s just not worth the hassle.

In a lot of ways it is better, and safer, to not do something than actually do it.

It sounds absurd but when you see what can happen you start to understand why.

It‘s not necessarily incompetence. Just no point for a few hundred folks around the country.

18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I just feel like it's OK to ask a federation to note confirmed upcoming matches and tournaments somewhere on its web site. I appreciate that you'd rather not go into broader societal and economic issues here -- that seems more appropriate for N&A, or maybe the Cavan Sullivan thread.

TarHeels17 repped this.
  19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I mean, could be! I'd be mildly surprised to see the U18/2005 program suddenly activated, which is not to say they might not do it. FWIW, I haven't looked at all the YOBs on the German list, but there are several 2005s on there, so if we're sending a younger team, it should be quite an experience.

Winoman repped this.
  20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

21. Transfermarkt lists him as a nearly 6'4" second striker. Sooooo . . . .

22. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I have been looking for German coverage of Downs for more than a year now and found nothing. But now, since there's a dual-national recruiting story to be written...

;)

Boysinblue, Winoman and willydonc repped this.
  23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    JDROD10 and Pl@ymaker repped this.