The Truth: Who changes boots the most in a season, Who has the smallest feet

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by zhiyi., Feb 10, 2006.

1. zhiyi.

zhiyi. Member

Sep 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Recently one of Singapore's local newspaper team got invited by Nike to visit the Nike factory and a article was put on the papers. It caught my attention and thought i would share it with you all, its rather interesting. The article is rather wordy so i have cut-short certain parts which is irrelevant. Read on the article below and enjoy...

I Quote,

"An invitation by Nike for The New Paper to visit its shoe factory last month in Montebelluna, Treviso, was too good to pass up. At the factory, the employees were hard at work putting together the boots which some of the biggest names in world football were about to wear.
    Stacked neatly in one corner were a stack of boxes with words scribbled on them. I walked over and saw some familiar names: 'Smith', 'Scholes', 'Rooney' and 'Ronaldo'. I opened the box with the name 'Ronaldo'(Real Madrid) and saw a shining white pair of boots with had six silver studs. (fast forward)
    Mauro Bianchin, 42, who works in the athlete services department, told me that the boots in the boxes had just been made and were ready to be sent to the players. He does not know the players personally, but his job scope requires him to know their preferences. And Bianchin was only too willing to talk about them.
    Its official. Among the Nike-sponsored footballers, Hidetoshi Nakata changes the most pairs of boots a season. Bianchin said: "Nakata changes about 25 pairs a season." "Ronaldinho comes close too. He always tries to get a new pair of boots for every game." "In fact, he even asked for the opposing teams' names to be sewn on his boots for every game but it's not possible."
    "Sometimes, players give the boots to friends, family or even fans. We often see them throw the boots to the spectators after a game." "It's hard to say how many pairs of boots a player needs a season, it really depends on each individual player." "Some players like them seasoned while some, like Ronaldinho, like to wear new boots each time they play."
    Having worked with Nike for the past five years and being in the industry for close to 2 decades, Bianchin also can recall the sizes of players' feet off hand. For example, do you know that Roberto Carlos, one of the best left-backs the world has ever seen, has probably the smallest feet i the business?
    Said Bianchin: "Jan Koller has the biggest feet of US15, which is equivalent of UK14). He is a big man but he has a deceptively good first touch." "Zlatan Ibrahimovic's feet size is US13, Nakata's is US8.5, Roberto Carlos's is 6.5, Ronaldinho's is 9.5 and Ronaldo is 10.5."
    Also, one problem Bianchin always faces is when the boots are launched in a new color. He added: "the problem is the colour. We change the colours of out football boots very often, every time we do that, we need to give the players the boots with the new colour." (cut short, remaining paragraphs are nothing much). End

2. metropolis2k

metropolis2k New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    England
    Cool, thanks for posting.

3. CC05

CC05 Member

Jul 16, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Heh, interesting... thanks for the post :).

And, 25 pairs per SEASON :O!!

4. vanity_soccer13

Apr 14, 2004
    6.5? wow.

I believe I heard Pires has a small foot as well, right? maybe 7.5?

5. gascon

gascon New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    pires has 9.5 mate i rem seeing it in pumafootball.or u can chk out mypumas.there was a wallpaper with his shoesize

6. vanity_soccer13

Apr 14, 2004
    ohh. I dunno, it's one of the puma guys though. because I remember the ads in Eurosport

7. WadeHunter15

WadeHunter15 New Member

Feb 7, 2004
    London
    I went on a tour around Stamford Bridge and the guide took us everywhere. Last but not least (my favourite part of the ground) THE BOOT ROOM. having looked at arjen robbens weird f50+ boots (ya know, the ones that are actually f50 but made to look like f50+) i came across a pair of Claude makalele boots. Size 4.5!!!!!!!. Absoloutly astonishing!

8. smithxi

smithxi New Member

Aug 21, 2005
    6.5 is tiny for carlos. he's 5'5'' and like 180 lbs.

9. red & wite army

red & wite army I ain't no drama queen!

Jan 15, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Excellent Zhiyi, very interesting, and much appreciated!:)

So I wear the same size as Ronaldinho LOL, thats the only similarity perhaps!:p

10. metropolis2k

metropolis2k New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    England
    Don't forget Eidur Gudjohnsen wears a 7.5UK. I posted a link to a pair of his being auctioned for charity. Quite a small boot for a big bloke.

11. AfroSmiley

AfroSmiley New Member

Sep 22, 2005
    I think a lot of pros wear cleats that are too small for them. I heard there was a a guy on DC United a while ago who wore children's shoes even though they were way too small.

I ususally wear 11 or 11.5 in all my shoes, but once I forgot my cleats so I wore a pair of F50s that were 10. The touch was fantastic and it was so easy to shoot. I only wore them for a short time though, 90 minutes of that would probably kill my feet.

12. zhiyi.

zhiyi. Member

Sep 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Thanks guys. But i'm still wondering about the Adidas-sponsored players, i'm pretty sure Beckham changes his boots more than Nakata!

13. mauro_

mauro_ New Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Bs As, Argentina
    i knew ronaldinho uses a new pair every game! he's one flashy bastard ain't he? lol
    that would be great :(

14. zhiyi.

zhiyi. Member

Sep 29, 2004
    Singapore
    It would be nice to have your opposition's name sewed on your boots but it would cost Nike too big a bomb!

15. smithxi

smithxi New Member

Aug 21, 2005
    i wouldn't switch boots every game, even if they were perfectly molded to my foot. they still wouldn't be broken in in my opinion.

16. AfroSmiley

AfroSmiley New Member

Sep 22, 2005
    The shoe would still be stiff... New cleats every game is so wasteful.

17. red & wite army

red & wite army I ain't no drama queen!

Jan 15, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    LOL, I don't see why Nakata needs so many boots, seeing as he hardly ever plays!

I actually wouldn't want new boots all the time either. I have been wearing my pulses for the last month, and have almost grown accustomed and used to them.:)

18. aqelroa

aqelroa New Member

Oct 15, 2005
    Michigan
    Nakata must have anti-blister feet... :rolleyes:

19. CentraLSocceR411

CentraLSocceR411 New Member

Nov 14, 2005
    Burlington, IL

I know thats crazy!!!

20. CentraLSocceR411

CentraLSocceR411 New Member

Nov 14, 2005
    Burlington, IL

Yea they would never get broken in, I hear the same thing with DB:confused: :confused:

21. zhiyi.

zhiyi. Member

Sep 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Yah i was thinking bout that too, he is hardly in the starting 11, wonder why he needs so many cleats, maybe he gives alot of cleats away