The Truth:soccer Is Not Liked In America

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by ELCHIVERIO619, Dec 14, 2005.

1. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is the victim complex that crops on this board time after time? A lot of the people that like to participate in a sport don't always enjoy watching the game. It happens. For all sports.

Support of soccer is growing, if only in small increments.

One place I see support growing is at the U.S. universities. For example, I am alumnus of Virginia Tech, and periodically track the attendance figures posted for the men's soccer games.

Ten years ago, I remember seeing perhaps 100 people in the makeshift stands around the playing field. I don't know how many that would be if you excluded family members and the women's soccer team.

Anyway, this year, teams within the ACC seem to have a good following. Maryland averaged 2,400 in attendance, while UVA and Wake Forest averaged 1,500. Virginia Tech, only in its 2nd year in the ACC--and only recently having a respectable soccer 'stadium'--didn't average these numbers. But, its games against Maryland and UVA drew over 2,400.

BTW, Disney (owner of ABC/ESPN), supports soccer in another way as well. I say 'support' in that Disney provides ways of garnering money from the sport. Two of these tournaments are fairly prestigious (if I understand things).

http://disneyworldsports.disney.go.com/dwws/en_US/soccer/listing?name=SoccerEventListingPage