The truth about DCs drafts

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by John_Harkes_6, Aug 8, 2002.

1. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    I have gone back and looked at the last two Super Drafts - and popular to what people want to believe, we are no where near as bad as some of the other teams:

% of picks impact players still on team (played 1000+ min this year):

Chi - 20%
    NY - 18.2%
    DC - 15.4%
    Colum - 15.4%

% of picks still on team:
    Here we are dead last at 15.4% - Chi leads with 40%

% of picks out of league:
    Chi - 40%
    Dall - 43.8%
    SJ - 53.8%
    DC - 53.8%

This data tells me a few things - DC doesn't draft as badly as some say they do (and these numbers do include dumping Namoff and Ludwig) or DC would have come out much higher. The problem truly lies in the fact we don't give players long enough to develop - Lisi and Ziadie are still in the league just no longer with us.

We could be like LA and KC - not a single impact player over the last two years of the draft.

Or even worse - NE, Colorado, and KC, 70%+ of their drafted players are no longer in the league.

2. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    How many of the players that are still with their team are P-40 and thus roster and cap-protected?

Dave

3. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go back further...Jason Moore

The problem is DC's skewed salary structure, where DCU has no budget for players with a little experience, but not yet stars. You either make mad cash, a la MAE, Jaime, Pope, Williams(?) or starvation wages. Get 'em cheap, keep 'em if they're stars (Convey & Q1), throw 'em away if they're mid-level pros.

4. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    We can keep going back - but DC has at least one contributor in each draft except 99.

00 - Convey, Armstrong, Denton

98 - Talley
    97 - Presthus

People are acting like we are the only team that can't draft. I am thinking there is a serious lack of talent out there to draft from. At best a team can hope for one player a year that can contribute. DC is averaging more than that.

5. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Wasn't Olsen drafted in there somewhere? 1998? And Pope was our 1996 draft pick...

6. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Olsen wasn't a draft pick. He was a P-40 allocation before P-40s went into the draft.

Dave

7. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Well at the time I was doing a major WTF!?!?!?!? when United passed over Eddie Johnson (who wasn't going to join the team until the end of the season, so was not going to help the team that season) with the 15th pick in the draft to select Bryan Namoff who was just sent to Richmond. I gave Namoff a chance and learned that he actually had good potential, but at #19 the Dallas Burn selected Eddie Johnson. Man, I'd give away our first pick in the entire SuperDraft (potentially) in a heartbeat to have Johnson in a United kit.

Because of injury and a crowded stable of finishers at the Burn, he hasn't seen much time on the pitch. I wonder if there is any way we could swing a trade for him without giving up one of our core players (i.e. Santino, Convey, Olsen, etc.)? The problem is that the Burn are basicly stacked right now and have no glaring needs. Oh well. That decision eats away at me just as the Lisi/Nelsen over Suarez one does. But don't get me started ...

Can we get the person who does the draft for the Dallas Burn? Maybe Jefferies could give us some tips? ;)

-Tron