The trend in "Soccer Specific Stadiums"

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Nutmeg, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Although this isn't directly MLS-related (and if it is too off-topic mods can feel free to move it), I thought the announcement of Deportivo La Coruña's new stadium could have a long-term impact on the building of soccer stadiums in the US. Depor's stadium design was done by Peter Eisenman, based out of NY, and takes into account many of the same issues MLS owners have to confront when looking at building stadiums of their own. Here is an approximate translation of the unveiling. I take responsibility for any mis-translations. I also highly recommend visiting this link to check out the amazing design.

El Guggenheim coruñés

“Peter Eisenman’s new Riazor (Deportivo La Coruña’s Stadium) tries to confront the challenges raised by the sport of soccer in the 21st century. What is a stadium like in today’s time? What can a stadium do for its city before and after the games are played? What is the stadium’s relationship with its surroundings? The answers to these questions demand that the concept of a stadium be reexamined. In recognition of its new status, the stadium should become a civic and cultural icon. A stadium designed for a specific place and club has greater tourist and commercial potential.

Eisenman’s new Riazor is conceived as a source of immediate benefits, offering facilities that have a place outside of the 19 scheduled home games of an internationally acclaimed club. One benefit is that it will be an architectural jewel, devised by an industry master with a name of world-wide recognition.

Today’s challenge is to rethink what a stadium’s symbol may be and integrating it with the fabric of the city. Peter Eisenman’s answer for Deportivo presents a new image of the stadium, one that takes advantage of the natural beauty of the bordering the coast line. The objective is none other than to adorn the stadium with organic forms that flow in perfect symbiosis with the sea. The result is a unification of three key elements – the stadium, a hotel, and a commercial center – within the context of new and lively urban center.”
    1. The article then delves into Eisenman’s plans in greater detail, including:
    2. Sport Facilities – including a pool, multi-sport pavilion, gymnasium, squash, etc.
    3. Depor Museum – a interactive museum for Depor’s 100th anniversary
    4. VIP Suites – state of the art suites in the best zones of the stadium
    5. Restaurants – restaurants situated for views of the game and the surrounding city
    6. Luxury Hotel – 200 rooms, conference center, restaurants, and meeting center
    7. Theme Park – exhibition halls, play and cultural shops for the entire public
    8. Commercial Zone – all sorts of commercial options, including a main shopping street
    9. Office Space – open to companies who wish to relocate to this area
    10. Youth Park – day care centers, rides, etc to make the stadium family friendly
    11. Green Space – Beautifully landscaped terraces and woods with relaxing views of the ocean
    12. Public and Reserved Parking – Self-explanatory, but a big deal to Deportivo because of current parking issues at Riazor.

2. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's a beautiful design, and very ambitious. I don't think anybody in MLS has that sort of money, but it'll be great for La Coruna and their team. One end of the stadium looks basically open to me, though...I'm not sure the design meets the practicalities of housing a huge football team, but it sure is gorgeous...

3. Brad May

Brad May New Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks for the link and translation, Nutmeg!

4. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I doubt the Harrison Stadium would look anything like that, but isn't this what Harrison is planing on? If they ever get started, all those functions that were listed in bold is what the Harrison Stadium area would be like.

5. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    All right, who knocked over the model?

6. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. At first glance, it doesn't appeal to me...

7. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Sounds a lot like our new "pentagon" in Zürich:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I've said elsewhere...
    Investors today look for possibilities to attract people to their stadium even when it isn't a gameday. A shopping center will serve the purpose, but it does more than that. It makes the stadium part of the community. Instead of being empty and dead during the week, the stadium-complex will be lively every day...

PS: If you're interested in the Zurich Stadium, there is a thread on The Beautiful Game devoted to it: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=71269

8. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Wow, the new Riazor sure is cheap for such a beautiful design. Only 120 mio. Euros...

Ours costs CHF 420 mio. ($302 mio.)

9. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Just read in Marca.com that Depor will be touring the US after the season (late May, early June). I hope they play MLS squads.

10. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    I didn't see the cost of the Riazor. Where did you find it? 102 vs. 420. That's a huge difference. Of course, stadiums here regularly cost over $500 million.

11. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Read it on the Deportivo Thread:
    btw, the 420 is in Swiss francs ($302). I guess that's pretty pricey for a 30K stadium, but then again the design is very unique...

Either way, I'm sure construction costs are a lot higher in Switzerland & the U.S. than in Spain.

12. efren95

efren95 Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    American architects are bold and innovative enough to come up with better designs.

The question is: where is the money?...

13. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    If I am not mistaken, Peter Eisenman is an American architect.

While I can understand why the Riazor design may not appeal to everyone, I don't believe that is what the design's purpose is, either. By referring to the stadium as "El Guggenheim coruñés," I believe they were making reference to the Guggenheim Bilbao, seen here:

[​IMG]

The architecture of the stadium is supposed to be art by itself - something to be looked at and admired regardless of whether or not a game is being played that day. If you haven't seen the surrounding area in La Coruña, the design probably makes even less sense. But having been there, I believe this flowing design set against the rocky Northern Spain Coastline is really going to be striking.

In any event, it will most assuredly be a design that will help bring an international identity to a club that is working hard to create one. I happen to love it.

14. efren95

efren95 Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    Nutmeg:

Thanks for your answer and for the beautiful pix.

That incredible design is a testament to the innovative imagination of an American architect.

It was worth my morning....