The Transfer Thread Meets Abbot And Costello

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Lockjaw, Aug 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lockjaw

Lockjaw BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
  3. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    I totally disagree.

4. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    Okay - let's get serious for a second here.

Our press release seems to indicate that we are okay with letting Robinho go if there is a unilateral resolution of the contract (ie. he pays his release clause). Sounds like we are going to hold out for another offer from Chelsea.

What is his release clause?

5. dmar

dmar Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    You mean Bluffinho?

6. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    100 million?

7. laudrup

laudrup BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 14, 2005
    I thought this was referring to how his contract is unprotected, meaning he can rescind unilaterally, compensation to be determined by a tribunal.

8. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    hmm.. What does the tribunal look at when determining the price?

9. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    That was my first thought, but I just read that this statement is "pointing to the clausula." :confused:

10. demogorgon

demogorgon Member

Jul 18, 2006
    I think it's time to post some pictures regarding Pedja and Calderon work this summer...

[​IMG]

and more to come....

11. laudrup

Apr 14, 2005
    It's vague... remaining contract, future earnings, it's conceivable that at this level you could sue for foregone advertising and marketing revenues...

And of course, all of it can be appealed, and the player can be slapped with a lawsuit outside the sport courts, which he may conceivably lose... which, of course, Chelsea would not be liable for... it's complicated, and I doubt it will come to that.

12. nordique

nordique Member

Aug 27, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I say sell him for 40M and buy Capel (16M clause) and Huntelaar

13. Horsehead

Horsehead Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Los Angeles
    No one jacks off like quite like demo loves to jack off to our troubles. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

(FWIW: I do not find today's events to be trouble, these things happen, Robinho gloom rumors have been around since forevah. Best to him in Chelsea if he indeed goes.)

14. MajorDuh

MajorDuh New Member

Apr 9, 2006
    USA
    Someone in the previous thread mentioned buying out Diego Capel's clause if/when Robinho leaves. If that happens, Rene Ramos will have an interesting reputation as an agent: First his brother, then Capel to Real Madrid through their buyout clauses?

15. razingtonbear

razingtonbear Member+

Aug 8, 2007
    Sky Sports say it is £120m, or 150ME.

Their angle is that we won't keep an unhappy player, but it is uncertain whether or not we will go into negotiations with Chelsea, or some to an agreement over Robinho's contract which has a buyout of £120m.

16. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    ^ Oh, I'd definitely sell him for 150 million euros. :D

17. Amirah

Amirah New Member

Mar 15, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    ^ Tomorrow's training pictures should be interesting.:D

18. razingtonbear

razingtonbear Member+

Aug 8, 2007
    Maybe it is our way of kicking Robson in the balls.

"Oh, you want to leave? That's fine. We kinda need you to stay at the moment, but you really want to go, just pay off your contract with us and you are free to leave".

"But I, err, I don't have £120m to give you."

"Oh wow, that's too bad. Guess you are staying another year then"

:D.

Guess it's time to get my permanent market out,

[​IMG]

19. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    Calderon is on El Larguero saying that we will not negotiate a transfer with anyone. He added "we would like him to stay, we value him, but if he doesn't want to stay he should not be with Real Madrid for one second longer."

He is now saying that "Robinho is free to leave but should assume the responsibilty that comes with a unilateral decision to leave." This means that club is expecting the player to submit a written request saying that he no longer wants to honor the contract he has with the club. "If he wants to leave, he can. He knows that we won't sell him so he has clearly thought about this and is willing to take on the consequences of any player that does not want to honor his contract."

When asked if this means that a new player will come, he said "no, not necessarily." I think he said that especially for demogorgon.

EDIT: He is saying again, "We will not transfer him. I told him that and I told him that this is not the time to try to leave. He can ask to leave right after the season when we have time to plan a replacement. We will not transfer him." Not sure if this means, 'unless you offer us more' or if we are willing to take this to some sort of tribunal.

EDIT: One last piece to comment on. The reporter that covers Real Madrid just said that despite Calderon's comments the club has started to look a bringing in a player in this final week of the summer. According to the reporter, the target is neither Huntelaar nor Milito... it is David Villa. NOTE: I am just sharing what was reported. I'd be very surprised if we land him in this last week.

20. razingtonbear

razingtonbear Member+

Aug 8, 2007
    Is he basically saying 'buy out your contract or stay another year'? I am a little confused as to what routes he can take. Is it possible for him to get out of his current contract without having to meet the £120m?

21. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    ^It sounds like he can write a letter saying that he will no longer honor his contract which puts us in a situation to have this go to court. If that happens, a tribunal will decide the amount that Real Madrid would have to be paid ... and it will not be anywhere near 120 million euros.

As for staying another year, Calderon said that could be possible. Unless Robinho takes the step to write this letter to the club, he will be considered one of the squad. Mind you, this could be a way to up the price. I'm not sure how far Calderon is willing to take this.

22. Bronaldo

Bronaldo Red Card

Apr 8, 2007
    Canada
    I really don't want Chelsea to get him.

23. laudrup

Apr 14, 2005
    His contract is unprotected, as far as I know. He can leave now and face the consequences 2-3 years from now, when the lawsuits come to fruition.

It'll be interesting to see how Decreto 1.006 (the Spanish law dealing with buyout clauses) interacts with the Webster ruling. My guess is not well. In the only precedent I know, a judge ordered Iban Zubiarre to pay the full buyout clause he had with Real Sociedad (50 mill) when he moved unilaterally to Athletic Bilbao, so I would expect that if we sue Robinho in a Spanish court the decision would be similar.

Edit: I just saw Alma's comment. If Robinho takes this to the TAS in Lausanne, then the amount will be comparatively small. But since Spanish contracts, unlike the Webster one, by law must contain provisions for unilateral rescission, if we sue in the Spanish court system we probably would get the 120 - from Robinho, mind you, not from Chelsea.

24. razingtonbear

razingtonbear Member+

Aug 8, 2007
    Things could be about to get interesting.

It seems Robinho is in the process of well and truly burning his bridges at the club though. No way back now.

25. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    ^ You think? The folks interviewed on El Larguero didn't think we'd get anywhere near his release clause.