The Trans - Fer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by yossarian, Mar 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CRASH 4 ARSENAL

Jan 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think we've also heard all we need to hear on Babel too.

2. Dynamo and ArsenalFC

Aug 5, 2006
    Beaumont

why no love for him

3. GoonerMan

GoonerMan New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Essex,England
    why ban quaresma? hes hardly been mentioned. i dont see the point in banning names in a transfer thread, but if ur gonna just ban names theres loads. ill start from the back. gordon, akinfeev, buffon, pele. woody, bale. babel, robinho, quaresma, ribery, eto'o. im sure theres many i missed. if u start blocking names u might as well close the thread!

4. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    Don't tempt me, please don't tempt me!!!!

5. Flyemirates2491

Mar 8, 2007
    Roma, Italia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Question- do we have any evidence at all that wenger is looking at queresma, or do people here just like him and have decided that he's a likely transfer?

6. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People watched him play in the Champions League last week, and he's a winger, therefore he must be a good purchase for Arsenal. ;)

7. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    Exactly. Thank you. What many of the regulars have been trying to point out on here for the past 8 months as the whole Ribery/Queresma/Buffon and Babel bullshit has just taken over the board. Do you guys realise we have at least 3 threads started per week on one of these guy's by newbies? It is getting tiring. There is absolutly nothing that suggests we are getting any of them. Nothing. At all. That is why so many of the regular want their names banned until the silly season. by which time I'll be in Zimbabwe and can leave the mayhem to the other mods.

8. GoonerMan

GoonerMan New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Essex,England
    theres been absolutly no link with him at all. i like him tho and have stated the fact on here, whilest also stating that hes a player i like and i know i wont see playing for arsenal thats all. i dont know where the rest of it is coming from

9. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the same old thing, people always want to sign whichever player they watched having a good game in the past week.

10. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sorry to bring this up again – this is a rehash of a post I had in the last transfer thread a few weeks ago, but I've managed to fill in another blank or two, and am curious if any of you can help fill in the others.

Anyway, here is my point: to all of you thinking we're going to spend big money in the summer to buy a big-name player (such as Eto'o), it ain't gonna happen. It just isn't the Arsenal way.

The biggest splash we've EVER made in the transfer market is the signing of Jose Antonio Reyes – and we all know how that worked out. You could even argue that our 2nd highest transfer fee paid (for Wiltord) wasn't worth the money. He was good, but didn't have a lot of longevity with the team.

Transfers for most current first-team players and some other note-worthy Arsenal players of the last ten years

199? - Aliadiere - Home-grown
    1996 - Anelka - £500,000

1998 - Ljungberg - £3 million

1999 - Henry - £11 million

2000 - Pires - £6 million
    2000 - Wiltord - £13 million
    2000 - Lauren - £7.2 million

2001 - Sol Campbell - Free

2002 - Toure - £150,000
    2002 - Gilberto - £2.2 million
    2002 - Senderos - £2.5 million

2003 - Clichy - £250,000
    2003 - Fabregas - £2.2 million
    2003 - Lehmann, £1.5 million
    2003 - Djourou - free (academy)
    2003 - Hoyte - free (academy)

2004 - Reyes - £17.5 million
    2004 - van Persie - £3 million
    2004 - Flamini - awkward situation - free with some comp.

2005 - Hleb - £10 million
    2005 - Eboue - £1.5 million
    2005 - Traore - ????

2006 - Diaby - £2 million
    2006 - Rosicky - £7 million
    2006 - Denilson - £3.4 million
    2006 - Adebayor - £7 million
    2006 - Theo Walcott - £5 million, rising to around £12.5
    2006 - Gallas - (-£5 million)
    2006 - Baptista - Swap deal.

My point is this: the Arsenal way isn't to go out and buy the big names (for example, Man U paid 47M for van Nistelrooy and Juan Sebastian Veron - you can argue whether or not that was worth it).

As always, we'll probably buy someone that will make you scratch your head a little bit and wonder, and then years down the line, they'll (hopefully) be a stud.

So I'm not buying into any of the talk about Rubbery or Buffon, or anyone with a price tag that would be much more than 10M.

As an aside, if anyone finds the fee we paid for Traore, I'd love to complete this list :)

11. akofman12345

akofman12345 New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    San Jose
    i cannot believe what we payed for Toure and v. Persie. Wenger knows.

12. Naushad78

Naushad78 New Member

Jul 14, 2006
    I'm guilty of that. A couple of my friends have been following him for a while and I decided to have a look on youtube and since then I've been wishing his name gets linked with us.

13. CRASH 4 ARSENAL

Jan 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    How about the fact we got Diaby, Rosicky, Denilson, Adebayor, Walcott, Gallas, and Baptista, all for less than Chelsea spent on Ballack?

14. blk'ngldgooner

blk'ngldgooner New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Whats up everyone,
    first time poster, just like to throw in my thoughts.

First off, Rosicky was more of a known commodity, although not a huge name. Also, he wanted out of Germany and he came cheaper than he would if we bought him in previous years. I agree that Wenger won't splash the cash. But I don't think it is a stretch to suggest he might go after one of Babel, Ribery or Quarsema. Especially if Henry decides to leave. If not, Le Boss will get something for Reyes. Either straight cash or cash and Baptista. Lehmann is probably gone. Freddie might be gone. Gilberto is now wanted by Juve. We might have an extra 10-15 mil laying about.

15. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    I cant find any information on the transfer price of Traore, only that we got him from Monaco and that he was a youth player, so maybe we didnt have to pay anything but his contract and no compensation went to Monaco at all.

16. blk'ngldgooner

Mar 13, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Secondly, it'll be interesting to see what everyone else does and how that affects us. Madrid and Barca might be at least partially dismantling their teams. Madrid were rumored to be in for Ribery. And we all know Barca want about 10 of our players. Is Lyon gonna be content with only winning Ligue 1 every year. Are they gonna shake things up.

Plus, what are Chelsea and Liverpool gonna do. Will Jose/new coach be able to spend like theres no tomorrow or will he have to sell to buy? That could change a lot of things for Chelsea. And how crazy will Liverpool go in the transfer market, they suddenly have real deep pockets. Both are rumored to be interested in Quaresma. And Liverpool has been real interested in Jesus Navas and Daniel Alves, two other names that were thrown out before. Obviously, we won't be able to outbid either of those teams.

17. CRASH 4 ARSENAL

Jan 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Don't think will/should Gilberto go for even that money.

The last thing to team needs is to lose more of it's veteran players, the kids can't be left to their own for another season. We need a better balance of youth/experience if we want some silverware next season.

...but, welcome, blk'ngldgooner!

18. blk'ngldgooner

Mar 13, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    I was not suggesting to sell Gilberto. All I meant was that if he wants to go it'll be tough for Wenger to say no. And his potential departure coupled with some others would give us a few mil to play with. I dont think at his age he will be valued at 10-15 mil.

19. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ballack was a free transfer.

20. RealMadGunner

RealMadGunner Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think he meant Sheva .. Or Drogba .. Or SWP .. or Essien ..

21. BenfromUSA

BenfromUSA Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anyone heard of andres guardado, the winger from mexico? I've seen him play at the world cup and in friendlies, and he's on a whole different level then guys kikin fonseca or jared borgetti. Others who have seen him play will back me up on this... he will be a star in europe. I don't know how realistic this is, but I would be just as happy with him as our new winger instead of ribery or quaresma.

22. CRASH 4 ARSENAL

Jan 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    :eek: I was actually thinking Sheva.

...at least that is the story I'm going with.;)

23. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England

hands up who thinks he wants to leave then ? :rolleyes:

24. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    From the BBc gossip page:

Arsenal want to sign Julio Baptista, who is on loan from Real Madrid, in a permanent £8m deal this summer. (Daily Mirror)

Arsenal striker Thierry Henry will be out for five months with groin and stomach injuries but has pledged to remain at the club for the rest of his career. (The Sun)

25. Inara

Inara Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Lyon is going to upsize for sure. They'll let Abidal go, but that will probably be it. But Aulas is finally going to go for a bigger fish this summer. Thank god. Finding undiscovered talents in France and Brazil has worked well enough to bring in the money but not enough for the extra step, which is the CL.