The Top Ten List of Steve Cangialosi-isms!

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by ColdCuts, Nov 3, 2003.

1. ColdCuts

ColdCuts Member

Jan 31, 2001
    Queens, NYC
    For your amusement, here are the top 10 stupid things that Cangialosi shouts (and he shouts EVERYTHING) over and over and OVER during the course of any given Metro game on MSG:

10) <Insert name> will control!
    09) <Insert name> will possess!
    08) <Insert name> makes his move!
    07) <Insert name> shoots, but it's off the mark!
    06) <Insert name> is tripped up, but no call!
    05) <Insert name> is taken down, but no call!
    03) <Insert name> with room to roam!
    04) <Insert name> loses (or finds) the handle!
    02) <Insert name> gives chase!

And the number one stupid phrase that Cangialosi shouts over and over during the course of a Metro game...

<Insert name> wheels and deals in the midfield!

2. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Heaven forbid the play-by-play guy tells you what's happening.

These PALE in comparison to people's least favorite standard comments from other announcers.

3. cmonaco

cmonaco New Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Montreal/NYC
    What, you'd rather have Budd Miskin call Metro games?

Cangialosi is a terrific studio and pre-game host for Metro and a decent play-by-play guy. He really cares about the team and it shines through again and again.

4. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    I love Steve. I think he does a good job.

5. ColdCuts

ColdCuts Member

Jan 31, 2001
    Queens, NYC
    Re: Re: The Top Ten List of Steve Cangialosi-isms!

Are you guys high?! Sure, he does fine on The Metro Soccer Report, but during PBP he uses the same tired phrases game after game. He never varies. I challenge you to count how many times he yells, "will control!"

Hey, that'd be a great drinking game! Take a good pull every time Cangialosi shouts, "will possess," or "will control!" You'd be cooked by halftime!

It's great that he really cares about Metro; I do too. But he doesn't call the game well. He's a master of the obvious--I can see just as well as anyone what has just happened on the field! How about some knowledgeable insight?! How about something interesting?

Oh, I forgot. How about this one: "...with touches!" That one cracks me up.

PS: It's strange how you guys are so quick to bash guys like Mathis and Juskowiak, yet you staunchly defend Steve Cangialosi's weak PBP? That's just weird man.

6. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: The Top Ten List of Steve Cangialosi-isms!

Sounds like you have an axe to grind.

7. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: The Top Ten List of Steve Cangialosi-isms!

Making a bigger deal over the PBP guy than the guys on the team who can't find a way to score goals? Now that is weird.

8. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steve's enthusiam is actually what this team needs from an anouncer. If you watch MSG, you'll notice that Steve actually makes Metro sound important.

If you're going to bitch about someone, you should cry about that guy on FSW who calls every rookie a "first year professional".

9. ColdCuts

ColdCuts Member

Jan 31, 2001
    Queens, NYC
    Re: Re: The Top Ten List of Steve Cangialosi-isms!

I am neither bitching nor crying. I'm having a laugh at Cangialosi's expense! Are you guys TOTALLY humorless? And, I don't have FSW.

I didn't realize that you're all flippin' in LOVE with Steve Cangialosi! You enjoy listening to his broken record commentary, good for you! I'd prefer to have Tommy Smyth back myself. However, that Steve Cangialosi drinking game I came up with would be absolutely brutal.

10. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    I'd take Cangialosi's broken record PBP style anyday over what Yankee fans have to endure with suckass Sterling. I fully agree with the poster that said that Cangialosi makes the team sound important. In time he will learn to balance his enthusiam with his delivery.

11. jack921

jack921 New Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Add one more vote in favor of Steve C. Actually, I think the MSG coverage is probably tops on the list for making Metros seem like a real professional team (at least until Harrison stadium is built). JP is great, Steve C is good. Shep can be annoying, but it's great to have a guy in the booth who was a hero on the field back in the good old Cosmos days. (I'm sure Georgio C. would be more annoying than Shep.)