The Toon Army

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by nyrmetros, Sep 27, 2003.

1. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    http://www.footballculture.net/photos/fans_mask13.html

[​IMG]

Newcastle Twins, Manchester, England, 1998

"These are two Newcastle United fans at Old Trafford, Manchester United’s home ground. The Newcastle fans, or ‘Toon Army’, as they call themselves, are very distinctive, as the vast majority wear replica shirts, so virtually half the ground looked black and white."

Alistair Berg,
    Copyright © 2001

--------------------------------

Can anyone shed more light about the Toon Army, of which I am supposed to be one of ?

2. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    this is a great pic of the Toon supporters

[​IMG]

3. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Hey, I remember that afternoon!

Sorta.

(one of the drunkest weekends I've ever spent)

4. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    So what's up with the Toons and the alcohaul ehh? :)

5. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What? You gotta be kidding! You must be young 'un. ;)

6. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    yea, me is :) Trying to learn as much about the Geordie football culture as possible. I can't be a wannabe Geordie if I don't know the damndest thing about them ehh?

7. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    So you want to be a geordie. Well u can't be a true geordie unless u were born in newcastle however you can become a follower of the geordie culture/religion.

1. LANGUAGE
    do not attempt to talk like a geordie because u will sound like a total nob. however u can use the geordie lingo. for example.
    Gan - to go
    howear man - come along
    divint nah - i don't know
    like - add this to the end of every sentence.

Lesson 2 tomorrow

8. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    cool..... what else do I need to know?

9. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Lesson 2

Be insanely protective of Newcastle and anything to do with it. As far as you are concerned Newcastle has the light shining out it's arse. IT IS ALWAYS CLUB BEFORE COUNTRY and to most geordies Newcastle is their country.

Lesson 3

It's not what you drink it's how much you can drink. In Newcastle the beer is cheap and so is clubbing (for younger geordies only) £2 ($3.50) a pint in most pubs. Clubbing. The two biggest clubs Foundation and Blu Bambu £3 ($4) to get in and £1 ($1.50) drinks all night.

Lesson 4

COME TO NEWCASTLE AND EXPERIANCE THE MIGHT OF THE BEST CITY IN THE WORLD.

10. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    Toon_Toon forgot Lesson 5:

Make fun of Sunderland as often as possible. :)

11. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I though that would go without saying.

Some helpful phrases if you meet a makem

Wees Keeys are theees
    the water in the wear tastes better than your beer(even more funny now that Vaux has closed down hahaha)

12. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I though that would go without saying.

Some helpful phrases if you meet a makem

Wees Keeys are theees
    the water in the wear tastes better than your beer(even more funny now that Vaux has closed down hahaha)

13. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Well I can do that with no problem now that Claudio reyna is with Man Citeh... :)

14. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    So where are the rest of my Geordie/Toon Army lessons?

15. pedro111

pedro111 New Member

Mar 13, 2002
    Newcastle Upon Tyne
    LESSON 6:

Never be afraid of being seen in a short sleeved shirt in sub-zero temperatures and dont hesitate to take it off to intimidate the opposition fans!

I've been to NYC in winter and man that place is cold, you have a good chance to practice! :)

LESSON 7:

Before you die you should try a Geordie 'Stottie Cake' filled with bacon, eggs, sausage and baked beans, (then you will know how we can take our shirts off for prolonged periods in sub-zero temps!)

LESSON 8:

Worship the number 9 shirt and everything it stands for. Whomever wears it is god.
    See, and learn as much about Alan Shearer as you can, because his playing days will be over in a season or two and he is the greatest player of his generation and had it not been for THREE serious injuries and almost THREE seasons out injured, he could well have been hailed as the greatest English Striker of all time.

LESSON 9:

Take pride in the fact that every bar in the world has a bottle of 'Newcastle brown' in it and those that havent cant be called a proper bar.
    It is our mark on the world.

LESSON 10:

Understand that the entire country dislikes you and wishes you were apart of Scotland. The National media will do anything to see us fail and take great satisfaction when we do.
    But do not fret, sleep easy in your bed because one of these days we are going to stick it up them royally and that day may not be as far off as you think.

LESSON 11:

You must always wear something that has the club crest on it.
    Not just a team jersey, but socks, underwear, hat, scarf will surfice, and for the more hardened of you a tattoo.
    The most respected are either the club crest or a magpie on either the calf muscle or at the top of your left arm.

LESSON 12:

Build up your capacity and resistance to alcohol, your social standing and reputation depends on it.

Well thats todays lessons over with, more to come.........

16. Fat Dutchman

Fat Dutchman Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Red Lion, Aberdeen
    There should never be any problem making fun of S*nderland regardless of who's on the team.

17. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    My love for Claudio reyna came before my hatred for Sunderland.... sorry :(

But now that's he's with Citeh I can make fun of the sad mackem ba$tards everyday :)

18. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    oh man.... I have so much to learn!!!!!
    I'm good with the short sleeves in freezing weather ...
    Damn I wanna tray the Geordie 'Stottie Cake'! it sounds yumm!!
    # 9 Alan Shearer!!
    So newcastle is the underdog of England ehh? nice.
    My lcoal pubs have Newcastle Brown Ale signs and mirrors, but no Newcastle Brown Ale... :(

19. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are either lying or haven't been inside. There's got to be one place in NY that has it. I was just in Manhattan this past weekend and I know I saw Newcastle taps. And the Foot Locker by Times Square was where I bought this season's kit too.

Stottie cake sounds good yet my heart says "Think of the cholesterol!" Aw hell, one of these days...

20. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    my local pubs do not include manhattan..... they include eastern Queens and Nassau County.... :) sorry if I didn't clarify that before..

21. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well then Queens suck! ;) Tell them to get it or they're not worthy.

22. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    haha..... to make it worse only TWO pubs near me carries Fox Sports World, and only ONE carries Setanta..... and NONE of which offer Newcastle Brown Ale..... Manhattan is a different story....

23. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Newcastle on tap? What a strange thing.

By the way Pele was on the Toon this week and his signed Brasil top fetched £4500 at the Wallsend Boys Club Auction compared to Big Al's £5000 for his shirt he wore against Southampton.

If any UK mags have sky watch the repeat of Soccer Am all sports show to see a Makem get hit in the balls by a snooker ball

24. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They don't have it over there? I've been to some bars that have Broonale in bottles, but most seem to serve on tap.

25. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Ok I'm ready for me next lesson folks !!